Getting a DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

zixx30

Nov 2, 2005
Hi bros and sis, what do you guys usually do with all the shots?
I'm seriously thinking of getting a DSLR, but afraid I will not fully utilize it. :sweat:

I'm seriously thinking of getting a DSLR, but afraid I will not fully utilize it. :sweat:

if you are asking this question, i seriously think you should not get a DSLR, really. no point spending money on something you dont know what to do with.

I keep my shots for memories. For travelling, my little girl, and family events, even just go out for a walk or the beach, whereever, I bring my gear to capture memories.

Most times, I just review the photographs to see what's good and what's bad, and to relive the memories. Often, my wife put them into collages using canon photorecords and we print them out using my epson R210 and put them into albums, so we could all enjoy the photographs. My 2 yr old girl also like to watch the slideshow of the digital images of her too.

Personally, you won't utilize something until you have them. It depends on what you intend to do with the DSLR.

I started out with film SLR, so its natural to go digital with a DSLR. I enjoy capturing images and memories.

So ask yourself,

a) why you want a DSLR? If it is just because everyone else seem to have it, then no point. If you want the DSLR for any reason, then go for it, but be prepared to carry the gear around.

b) What do you mean by fully utilizing it? Look at the clubsnap forum here, esp the B&S section. you notice that many here sell equipment, which they store in their dry cabinet, and they sell because they underutilise and for the purpose of upgrading. You can fully utilise the DSLR if you get that shot you want, and you are able to answer your reasons for getting the DSLR in the 1st place.

c) What do you intend to do with the DSLR?

Forgive my rambering.....:bsmilie:

Don't buy a DSLR if you intend to use it as a "Point and Shoot" camera. Most images taken on a DSLR will benefit from some post-processing (i.e Photoshopping) to get the best out of the image. If you don't want to be bothered with this then I would just get one of the excellent PnS cameras out there, like the F30 or the FX50

What do I do with all the shots?
I can take more as compared to film and you may have heard of something like in order "To get that nice perfect shot, a thousand lousy shot was taken" because every scene requires a different setting according to the way one would like to express. So I take many shots in order to get a few good ones

I'm seriously thinking of getting a DSLR, but afraid I will not fully utilize it.
I was using SLR years ago and I locked it up as it was getting to heavy to get around. I got a PnS for the sake of conveinence and utilise it until I find that I've reached the point of going in DSLR.

All the photos I've taken are memories and it serves as my learning curve of the passion. If you share the same feeling then it's worthy of going into DSLR. There will always be times whereby you do not use the cam. But if you travel or have kids or certain events you want to record as the stages of your life, then go for it.

Thanks bros for your comments. Appreciate it very much.
I like shooting, capture images and 'photoshopping' too. But not regularly.
Currently, I own a FZ5. Just have a second thought that the DSLR will become
white elephant... ;p but these comments do help me think positively.

the FZ5 is a pretty decent camera.... use it until you find that you are limited by its capabilities... than look for a DSLR.....
the cost of the DSLR is not only the body...
think.... lens, many many possible lens to buy, external flash, dry cabinet, etc.....
an endless investment.....

I'm thinking of just get the body and kit lens first not even the flash.
Somehow, I dun like to use flash. I like to keep the image original, i mean the atmosphere.

the flash is a "must" have investment... nikon flash is not your normal pop up flash....
with bounce flash etc, the flash makes a thousand differences.... and they can make or break a pic....

all said, the flash is the BEST investment for DSLR....

the flash is a "must" have investment... nikon flash is not your normal pop up flash....
with bounce flash etc, the flash makes a thousand differences.... and they can make or break a pic....

followed by a good tripod

I thought lens was the best investment...

:sweat: ....flash and tripot not cheap leh..... :hung:

I thought lens was the best investment...

Depends. A cheap lens with a flash is more useful in more situations than the most expensive lens without a flash.

I do not use flash.

Can you afford it? If you can't pay cash, have to pay installment, have to eat $1 chichen rice for lunch and dinner for the year, then DON'T.

If you think you are going to under utilize the camera, you probably will, then don't.

Afterall, this is a hobby. You don't need the DSLR.

Can you afford it? If you can't pay cash, have to pay installment, have to eat $1 chichen rice for lunch and dinner for the year, then DON'T.

If you think you are going to under utilize the camera, you probably will, then don't.

Afterall, this is a hobby. You don't need the DSLR.

Where's that S$1 Chicken Rice???? I need that!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.