Getting a dslr... 1000d or 450d?

Status
Not open for further replies.

postal

Hi guys,

I have much interest in photography and have decided to get a dslr pretty soon... However, i can't decide between 1000d and 450d... I did some research and the main difference between the two cameras are written below.

10.1 mega pixels to 12.2 mega pixels (not impt i assume)
Auto focus with 7 points compared to 9 points
450d have spot metering while 1000d don't have
450d have larger lcd screen
450d have a better continuous drive
450d is about $200 more

IMO, the number of megapixels is not so impt. I also think a larger screen and continuous drive is not an impt factor for me as well. Hence left only with 2 main points - AF with more points and spot metering. Read one of the post whereby spot metering is rather useful but i am still not too sure how it really works. Need u guys to advise me the importance of this two points... Thanks! ;)

450d is about $200 more

Basically its 400D v 450D. I'd go with the 450D for the spot metering

Hi guys,

I have much interest in photography and have decided to get a dslr pretty soon... However, i can't decide between 1000d and 450d... I did some research and the main difference between the two cameras are written below.

450d is about $200 more

IMO, the number of megapixels is not so impt. I also think a larger screen and continuous drive is not an impt factor for me as well. Hence left only with 2 main points - AF with more points and spot metering. Read one of the post whereby spot metering is rather useful but i am still not too sure how it really works. Need u guys to advise me the importance of this two points... Thanks! ;)
get a second hand 40D. that would be my advice.

Yo!
Thanks for the replies and your advise. I prefer to stick to the xxxD series cos it is much lighter as I planned to use it for travelling. Plus... it is going to be my first dslr... Hence i would prefer to buy a noob wan... wahaha! Guess the winning point is the spot metering... just curious... do u guys use the spot metering often? Or is it when it is over expose or under expose then have to use spot metering to determine the right exposure?

the 40D will save you money. Unless of course you plan to go direct from 450D to 1D/5D.

http://www.komar.org/faq/camera/canon-40d-versus-rebel-xsi-450d/ some reasons why and also, the 40d is rated for 100,000 shutter actuations if i remember correctly.

From the usage you are mentioning....actually a 2nd hand 30D would be more well suited since pretty weather resistant and the body is quite durable. Importantly, its fast enough if you need to shoot machine gun photos and using a CF flash card which is arguably faster then SDHC if compare apple to apple.

Last edited:
If u want a new cam, definitely 450d if between the 2 choices... if u dun mind 2nd hand, would suggest a 40d

else

consider other brands too.. dun limit yourself.. options and choices are wide given the number of manufacturers in the market now and they all make decent entry level dslrs.. (dun think they can go too wrong in that =X)

Hey guys... thanks for the replies. For the moment I would choose a xxxD cos i really do mind the weight of a xxD. Furthermore... I don't see the need of a good continuous drive... yet! haha!

I did consider nikon but i don't really like the buttons on the left of the camera so nikon is out for me. If considering other brands... i am looking at sony a200.

anyway, tmr i going to amk ms color to try the cameras. wanna see for myself how useful is the spot metering thingy. To be honest, i prefer 1000d cos it is still at 10 megapixels. 12 megapixels seems too big for me... quote from the link by reportage...

Everyone always asks for more megapixels, but that comes at a tradeoff in terms of speed and image quality, especially high ISO performance. Personally, 10 megapixels is OK ... but provide another stop reduction in noise.

Get back to u guys tmr! :)

Hey guys... thanks for the replies. For the moment I would choose a xxxD cos i really do mind the weight of a xxD. Furthermore... I don't see the need of a good continuous drive... yet! haha!

I did consider nikon but i don't really like the buttons on the left of the camera so nikon is out for me. If considering other brands... i am looking at sony a200.

anyway, tmr i going to amk ms color to try the cameras. wanna see for myself how useful is the spot metering thingy. To be honest, i prefer 1000d cos it is still at 10 megapixels. 12 megapixels seems too big for me... quote from the link by reportage...

Everyone always asks for more megapixels, but that comes at a tradeoff in terms of speed and image quality, especially high ISO performance. Personally, 10 megapixels is OK ... but provide another stop reduction in noise.

Get back to u guys tmr! :)

Well, it is good to follow your thoughts (sticking to 1000D).
but, i would still 'stay' with the other contributors of this thread (i.e. non had advise 1000D).
IMHO, it would be 450D (if do not mind the 200 bucks addition).

good luck with your test-drive.

2000D is coming out soon too. Imho if you don't need the liveview, its better to get 2nd hand 400D than getting a 1000D, and spend the extra money for better lens
450D 2nd hand should be plenty too seeing 500D is already out for some time

The recommendations for 40d 2nd hand is very true too.

Check http://dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Canon :
Canon Score
1Ds mkIII 80.3
5D mkII 79
1D mkIII 71
5D 70.9
40D 63.5
50D 62.9
500D 62.5
400D 62.1
1000D 61.6
450D 60.6
350D 59.9

Check http://dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Canon :
Canon Score
1Ds mkIII 80.3
5D mkII 79
1D mkIII 71
5D 70.9
40D 63.5
50D 62.9
500D 62.5
400D 62.1
1000D 61.6
450D 60.6
350D 59.9

What can we see from the range of numbers being very close together? The disclaimer already mentions that a difference of 5 or less is not visible. So between the 350D and the latest 50D there is no visible difference in quality? :think: Seems that numbers alone don't help at all. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/quality-vs-value.shtml

hey guys... today went to woodland courts to try out the cameras. They say 450d is phase out liao so only left 1000d and 500d... 500d is very very gd!!! wahaha! but it is abit out of my budget le. I do like the gui of the 500d... which i assume it is similiar to 450d. The gui for 1000d not so chio and the feel of the camera not as gd as 500d. Anyway, tmr i will make a trip to cathay to check it out. Very likely i will make my choice tmr! wahaha!

btw... wanted to try the d5000 but they have no stock to let me try... haiz...

Hey guys... I bought 1000d instead from john 3:16 for $890. It comes with the kit lens, 8gb card and a bag. The services from them is very good! Spent at least half a day at the shop sia... Learn many stuff and have a chance to try their prime lens - canon 50 mm f1.8. Hehe... that is going to be the next lens that I wanna buy...

Thanks u guys for the advices! :)

Hi,

my eos digital goes like tis: 300 > 350 > 20D > 1000D

Frankly the 1000D has enough features for gd pics. If u need to shoot raw then the 1.5fps would be limiting. Otherwise....nothing much to limit u! But my 20D AF is faster esp in lower light...so if it's important...do consider a used 40D.

Same, i wanted a lighter body.....u can add a battery grip for a more sturdy oufit!

Hi guys,

If you have the budget for a 450D, go for that.

I go for 450D cos I need to have the live view for closeup shooting.

Comparing chart
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...&cameras=canon_eos400d,canon_eos450d&show=all

Um, 1000D has live view as well

I'd put my money on 450D for the spot meter (invaluable when you need it) and slightly higher MP (more option for crop).

But, looks like you made your decision already. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.