Getting a ceiling fan ...

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Hi people!

It's me again, asking another corny question.

My 30 plus year old ceiling fan (even older than me) is getting noisy of late and it's going to die on me.

Before I lay it to rest, I'll need to find a replacement.

Anyone has any recommendation on the make. model and cost (inclusive of installation) involved. I'm not looking for those that come with lamps and other bells and whistles. I just need a quiet and powerful one and I also have high ceiling thus I don't have to look at those shorter ones which are meant for flats ...

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
Hi people!

It's me again, asking another corny question.

My 30 plus year old ceiling fan (even older than me) is getting noisy of late and it's going to die on me.

Before I lay it to rest, I'll need to find a replacement.

Anyone has any recommendation on the make. model and cost (inclusive of installation) involved. I'm not looking for those that come with lamps and other bells and whistles. I just need a quiet and powerful one and I have high ceiling thus I don't have to look at those shorter ones which are meant for flats ...

Thanks in advance! :)
Ever considered Panasonic or KDK ceiling fan? ;)

Bro, I would recommend the Elmark brand of ceiling fans. There are several models, but the one I am referring to is the one that has a very slim, flat motor. Its a no frills fan, no light etc. Its quite effective in HDB flats (because of the low ceiling), but you can get one with a longer pipe/support. Sorry, I am talking in layman terms because I don't know the technical names of these parts...

Elmark has their office/warehouse in the Ubi area. You could even buy direct from them.

Power of internet. Just did a google search and found a link to the model that I am referring to.
http://www.elmark.com.sg/html/LMD15.html

Their address is here...
http://www.elmark.com.sg/contact.html

If you cant get Elmark, then the next best option is KDK. Parisilk has the best prices, but you will have to get your own electrician to mount the fan to the ceiling.

Bro, I would recommend the Elmark brand of ceiling fans. There are several models, but the one I am referring to is the one that has a very slim, flat motor. Its a no frills fan, no light etc. Its quite effective in HDB flats (because of the low ceiling), but you can get one with a longer pipe/support. Sorry, I am talking in layman terms because I don't know the technical names of these parts...

Elmark has their office/warehouse in the Ubi area. You could even buy direct from them.

Power of internet. Just did a google search and found a link to the model that I am referring to.
http://www.elmark.com.sg/html/LMD15.html

Their address is here...
http://www.elmark.com.sg/contact.html

If you cant get Elmark, then the next best option is KDK. Parisilk has the best prices, but you will have to get your own electrician to mount the fan to the ceiling.
I used to have three of those exact same model (Elmark LMD15) in my home, all the motors failed within 3 years with the fan blades barely spinning at maximum power setting.

Enough said. :bsmilie:

I used to have three of those exact same model (Elmark LMD15) in my home, all the motors failed within 3 years with the fan blades barely spinning at maximum power setting.

Enough said. :bsmilie:

I better not recommend anything then. :bsmilie:

BTW, have you noticed that these days manufacturers make stuff that's not meant to last ? Planned Obsolescence.

TS, Sorry for the OT.

Thanks fellas! As usual, you guys are wonderful! Please keep them coming! :)

hmm u gonna self install? i suggest u get a contractor do for u. i'll suggest geylang area if looking for fans. cant remember where my dad gets his fans from though

There's this fan that folds up into a flower when stationary. When it move, the blades open up like a flower. Quite cool. Think its called the sunflower fan or something. But the power is not as good as conventional fans.

Thanks, I may know where you're talking about ... I stay in Geylang! :)

yea. i remember its near some nice duckrice place. or near the scissors cut curry rice area.

just a thought..why ceiling fan? very hard to clean and maintain. when i first got my house..i immediately remove this item from the list and told my wife to please go and hang as much things u want here and there...just make sure don't ask me to clean when u are pregnant....so we never have a lot of hanging stuffs ard so that it can be easy to maintain

Whatever brand will do so long as it comes with a remote control.

Cheers:)

im biased.... KDK ftw.grew up with it.