Getting a canon 550d. Help !!

Syikoko

Aug 7, 2010
Hello ClubSnappers haha ;)

I'm getting myself a Canon EOS 550D EF S18-55IS very soon. Been wanting a good camera sooo badly and finally I'm getting one! :D

So I'm asking your opinions on what to get along with the camera?
I'm only getting an 8gb card, bag and tripod. Anything else I should get ?

Thanks yaaa :lovegrin:

Most people would differ on what to get, but basically,

1. Knowledge on exposure/photography (reading the basics, viewing pictures from other members, practicing)
2. Knowledge of your camera (through reading the manual and playing with it)
3. Dry box / dry cabinet (though the cabinet would be preferred)
4. A better tripod (I wouldn't trust a $1.5K++ worth of equipment on a < $20 tripod, which is flimsy and unstable)
5. Filter for your lens (make sure you don't pay anything more than $25)
6. Cleaning kit, like blower, Lenspen, microfiber cloth
7. LCD Screen protector (optional, as the LCD on the camera is pretty tough, but nice to have a protector)
8. Humility to learn from others and to accept your mistakes and learn
9. Shoot more, learn more ... How? Post your pictures for comments to improve
10. Try all the different genres of photography - landscape, portraiture, sports, night, etc.

That about squares it.

HTH!

I'm getting myself a Canon EOS 550D EF S18-55IS very soon. Been wanting a good camera sooo badly and finally I'm getting one! :D

UV/clear filter
LCD screen guard
lens cleaning kit (lens pen and blower, at least)
drybox (optional?)
magazines/books/anything to help you get started on understanding basic photography
read your manual
and get a lot of experience by shooting more

;)

welcome to clubsnap..! :)

If your tripod is the 'freebie' one that the shop is "giving" to you (probably worked into the price), best not to get it at all.
It's best to get a decently-stable one, which is not super cheap, but neither does it cost the moon.

other than that, probably dry cabinet (preferred) or dry box is almost a must-have in this humid climate.

then arm yourself with the basics and go shoot first!

Good advise. 1, 2, 8, 9 & 10 are more important than what else to buy for your camera.

Most people would differ on what to get, but basically,

1. Knowledge on exposure/photography (reading the basics, viewing pictures from other members, practicing)
2. Knowledge of your camera (through reading the manual and playing with it)
3. Dry box / dry cabinet (though the cabinet would be preferred)
4. A better tripod (I wouldn't trust a $1.5K++ worth of equipment on a < $20 tripod, which is flimsy and unstable)
5. Filter for your lens (make sure you don't pay anything more than $25)
6. Cleaning kit, like blower, Lenspen, microfiber cloth
7. LCD Screen protector (optional, as the LCD on the camera is pretty tough, but nice to have a protector)
8. Humility to learn from others and to accept your mistakes and learn
9. Shoot more, learn more ... How? Post your pictures for comments to improve
10. Try all the different genres of photography - landscape, portraiture, sports, night, etc.

That about squares it.

HTH!

Skip the tripod as mentioned already. Go to shops that only sell the camera kit as it comes in the box. There is a list of reputable shops here. Don't accept anything else that the sales man will try to convince you, especially NOT:
- UV and any other filters (take your time here to read and learn, then buy once you know enough about types, purpose, brands and prices)
- Wide angle and macro adapter / converter lenses (that's the infamous way of cheating unknowing people. Costs about $25, prices range up to $250 and it's basically rubbish).
Keep in mind: your camera is designed to work perfectly well 'out of the box' (literally). There is no need to buy anything else right now. Buy once you know the purpose and once you know that you really need it.
Things that come handy:
- Camera bag (the standard Canon bag is fine and served me well for >1 year.
- USB memory card reader (helps to download pictures, no need to connect the camera to PC. Make sure to get SDHC type).
- Spare battery, spare memory card (if you go on longer trips)
I know it's a lot of money but don't get overprotective. The camera can stand a lot of bumps, cold weather, drizzle, heat and whatnot - it's quite sturdy. The camera will only be worth its money if you use it.

Last edited:
Congratulations.

The most important thing you will do is shoot and shoot, shoot at home and shoot outsides, shoot anytime you are pleased, shoot anything your eyes see. Sleep with the camera if you wish. :bsmilie:

Get a dry cabinet immediately. It is the only place to store your 550D. Each time after shooting, return the camera to the cabinet and give yourself a peace of mind.

Your daily routine would be get the camera out, shoot, return to the cabinet.

Read books, surf the net, look at lots of photos and learn photography.

The rest of the items can wait. ;)

Welcome to CS.

I encourage you to read more online, and join some newbie outings under the Outings subforum.

Good start here:

Camera basics
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Composition
http://www.amateursnapper.com/photography/10-top-photography-composition-rules
http://digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-composition-tips

More topics covered here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Get a LCD screen protector. That's about it. You'll figured out what more you need later on!

how about i share with you, what exactly i am using until now, right from the first day i bought my 550D? :)

it will let you roughly know what is the progress of buying, rather than one shot buy all