Getting a bottled drink without caps - discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headshotzx

Dec 14, 2007
Punggol
Hey guys, an interesting thing has happened over in a particular secondary school i'm an alumni of. It's a rather trivial matter, so don't be too serious.

To prevent students from bringing drinks bought from the canteen to their classrooms, the school has implemented a no-caps unwritten-but-enforced policy. When a student purchases the drink, he will be given the drink without the bottle cap on, and is then expected to consume the drink within recess and throw away (I believe recycling isn't on the minds of most secondary school students) the bottles. Failure to comply, or arguing with the vendor would result in disciplinary action.

Personally I feel that they are taking a wrong approach. Firstly, there's no reason why someone can't smuggle in an uncapped bottle into class without the teacher looking. Secondly, germs can easily enter the top of the bottle because it is exposed all the time (not good for those milk-based products). And finally, bottles without caps on is a ticket to more irritated cleaners if people were to accidentally knock the bottle over before totally consuming the product.

My dad is part of a drinks production and distribution company supplying the canteen with drinks, and while he is still out at work, I'd like to find out something. If i am correct, the contract signed between a reseller and manufacturer should state that the products should be sold in whole and not be made different in any way. Would this be a breach in contract?

Zexun

Last edited:
I like the angle of your approach in solving the problem.

../azul123

Haha. Just posted so that I could get advice regarding the legal side.

Think NEA.

Secondly, germs can easily enter the top of the bottle because it is exposed all the time (not good for those milk-based products).

oh dear, this sounds like the people who clean the whole place in a hawker centre with antibacterial gels before they sit down.

relax, a little bit won't kill you.

oh dang i just poked my straw into my yeos packet drink? can i ask for a cap now?

I believe the suppliers sell it to the canteen with caps. The canteen uncle or auntie is the one who opens the bottle before selling it to the student. There is minimum contamination. They sell beer like that in the army too. That way you cant consume untaxed the beer in bunk or bring it outfield or out of camp.

I can't imagine the canteen operators trying to store drinks without bottle cap. Even drinks like green tea go bad in less than a week if not stored properly.

Secondly, germs can easily enter the top of the bottle because it is exposed all the time (not good for those milk-based products). Zexun

A slightly different view here. Recent medical studies in the west have shown that children and teenagers exposed to germs, bacteria and childhood / teen illnesses have better developed immune systems as adults.

Therefore by the above point alone, selling a bottle with the cap taken off by the canteen staff is a good thing!

On a personal note, If I was running the school canteen the kids would only be fed slops and leftovers ... to toughen them up a bit.

let the sch do what they want. Full of nonsense rules always, till going off to tertiary and beyond, u know its something like "A waste of time" rule

before you know it, there is a black market of bottle caps in your school..

On a personal note, If I was running the school canteen the kids would only be fed slops and leftovers ... to toughen them up a bit.

:bsmilie: :thumbsup:

A slightly different view here. Recent medical studies in the west have shown that children and teenagers exposed to germs, bacteria and childhood / teen illnesses have better developed immune systems as adults.

Therefore by the above point alone, selling a bottle with the cap taken off by the canteen staff is a good thing!

no need slops....just give them SAF surplus rations. Menu Number 1 anyone???

What's the rationale for this anyway? Why cannot bring drinks back?
To prevent students from bringing drinks bought from the canteen to their classrooms.

actually...these students never think of pour the drink into water bottles?

Hahaha funny replies from everyone. I should go collect bottle caps and set up my own black market whenever i go back. Hehe.

The rationale was that students aren't supposed to consume flavored drinks in the classroom especially when the teacher is doing stuff. It's disrespectful (?) says the school, and while that might hold true, the more important reason is that the bottles are left there under the tables or on the floors and the cleaners have a hard time.

I think its not to prevent bringing drinks back to classroom, it is more to discourage kids from buying carbonated drinks in the 1st place. Some schools forbid their kids from buying and consuming during school hours, others only allow non carbonated drinks like soyabean and 100plus type of drinks.

Disrespectful... Today at a particular NUS lecture, someone eating wanton mee in lecture hall hahaha.

I think its not to prevent bringing drinks back to classroom, it is more to discourage kids from buying carbonated drinks in the 1st place. Some schools forbid their kids from buying and consuming during school hours, others only allow non carbonated drinks like soyabean and 100plus type of drinks.

The latter is sensible while the first one just plain doesn't work. No cap won't stop me from buying a soft drink since a can drink is the same thing :/ ... But I guess one could say that a soft drink in a can is less soft drink than in a bottle.

The latter is sensible while the first one just plain doesn't work. No cap won't stop me from buying a soft drink since a can drink is the same thing :/ ... But I guess one could say that a soft drink in a can is less soft drink than in a bottle.

Which is why - some schools tell their kids - no drinks other than water and juices or only non carbonated drinks are allowed, rather than resort to the cap rule - which some of u have already highlighted, brings more problems than results.

Last edited:
Which is why - some schools tell their kids - no drinks other than water and juices or only non carbonated drinks are allowed, rather than resort to the cap rule - which some of u have already highlighted, brings more problems than results.

Don't think the cap rule is for carbonated drinks - TS highlighted the reason few posts back. Petty rule but it sorta works I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.