Getting a 400D

Status
Not open for further replies.
what about the 400D underexposure issue is it true? And which one had better noise in high iso???? Thx.

what about the 400D underexposure issue is it true? And which one had better noise in high iso???? Thx.

Please try doing a little research. You can read all about this on the dpreview reviews of both cams.

its all down to the one who are taking shots i guess, no point giving somebody the most expensive or the best camera but he/she dunno how to shoot....if u know wat i mean....

Canon doesn't offer auto ISO, while Nikon does.
The AF system is integrated onto the Canon body, while Nikon offers it on its lenses.
Softness (Non-Sharpness) is dependent on the lenses, not the camera body.

i dunno abt the 400D auto iso feature but canon ef lenses all have built in af motor as compared to nikon which has a lot of legacy lenses that needs to be driven by the motor on the body. the D40 and D60 lacks the ability to drive lenses that do not come with the af motor so all focusing have to be done manually.

the 400D does have an underexposure issue but not much people are bothered by it. if it bothers u alot, canon can calibrate it for u.

at the present time, only the d300 and d3 are any match to any canon in terms of high iso performance.

That's the spirit!! Steel yourselves from the horrific BBB (buy-buy-buy) virus!! Haha..

In all seriousness though, a basic and cheap kit will allow you to see a trend of your shots, and then you can decide on better lenses from then on =)
hehehe... the BBB virus will surely kill me if i keep on buying diff lens that doesnt suit to what i want to shoot....
Thanks Headshotzx!

the 400D does have an underexposure issue but not much people are bothered by it. if it bothers u alot, canon can calibrate it for u.

at the present time, only the d300 and d3 are any match to any canon in terms of high iso performance.

Thx for your answer, do you know how much is the lower price for 400D body only? Because I don't want to use the kit lens.

Thx for your answer, do you know how much is the lower price for 400D body only? Because I don't want to use the kit lens.

Oh my, I think it's rather inappropriate to constantly hijack another person's thread.

The best price for a 'New' 400D body is currently...

03/03/07 - Cathay Photo - S$1,170 (new, EF Lens Work III, 2GB Sandisk Ultra II CF)
03/04/07 - M S Color - S$1,200 nett
10/06/07 - Alan Photo - S$1,197 (new, 2GB Sandisk Ultra II CF, EF Lens Work III, 20 DVD+R)
14/06/07 - Parisilk - $1,114 (new, 2GB Sandisk Ultra II CF, free camera bag)

I bought my 400D body only @ CP for S$1100 with free 2GB Sandisk Ultra II CF & a Canon tripod

Please check THIS THREAD for future camera prices please.. Just do a simple search of the forum and you'll get what you want.

as mentioned above. the price will probably not changed much as with canon's usual pricing strategy.

I had gotten myself the same setup as largely recommended here.. the 400D + kit + 50mm/f1.8. Although it's already 2 weeks, I only used it once (shooting at static cars) and quite a high rate of keepers for a 2 weeks old dslr newbie..:lovegrin:

Both lenses turn up nice images but the 50mm is really much better. After reading your thread, I will also follow the advises herein to shoot more, learn the camera and myself more to narrow down on the choices of lens..

Best thing I find about acquiring the 400D was that I also acquired a very nice bunch of friends who are all members of CS. They are friendly, fun loving and some with very poisonous level of viruses...kekekeekekek.

Hi Anatta!
Y dun u call up the shops and ask them abt their deals? who knows u could get a better deal by calling them instantly...

I had gotten myself the same setup as largely recommended here.. the 400D + kit + 50mm/f1.8. Although it's already 2 weeks, I only used it once (shooting at static cars) and quite a high rate of keepers for a 2 weeks old dslr newbie..:lovegrin:

Both lenses turn up nice images but the 50mm is really much better. After reading your thread, I will also follow the advises herein to shoot more, learn the camera and myself more to narrow down on the choices of lens..

Best thing I find about acquiring the 400D was that I also acquired a very nice bunch of friends who are all members of CS. They are friendly, fun loving and some with very poisonous level of viruses...kekekeekekek.

Hey JAWZSG!!
Thanks for sharing ur experience!! Appreciate them! :thumbsup::D

To TS....

Strongly suggest you replace the kit lens with a better Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Why u may ask.... because you will 'out-grown' your kit lens very fast and would need something better..... I did, within 1 mth. So better to just get the body and the Tamron.....

Suggest you add a little extra on the Tamron..... cause your kit lens is going to sit in the dry box.... just like mine....:sweat:

Hi imsimplicity

I am a 400D user with a Tamron 17-50 lens currently. So i will suggest you to get this lens straight if u have the budget. Because not long ago, like u i was searching for the right lens to use. Tried and changed a couple of lens before i finally decided on the Tamron. So have wasted some money in the process.

Beside that I had also tried the 18-55 IS lens too. Found it to be a good lens for its value. I will suggest you to get that if the Tamron has exceeded ur budget. Try getting a 2nd hand one approximately $250 in CS.

Forget about the 18-55 non-IS kit lens. Although it is cheap but then the IQ is really not very good. Resale value also quite low. End of the day u might find it sitting in ur dry cabinet most of the time.

Thanks Diver-hloc and Teegongkia for the great suggestions!!

i would love to get the Tamron lens... but i'll see to it if my budget allows me to get 400D Body and a Tamron...

I just in a dilemma right now between buying D40 or the 400D, because I heard that the 400D got problem with underexposure problem occasionally, and I also heard that 400D pic is too soft compared to D40, and my final complain is that 400d don't have auto iso (only auto 100-400). But in the other hand D40 don't have motor in body. How about noise which one is better?? is the rumor true about the underexposure problem and don't have auto iso till 1600??? please help me to solve my dilemma. Thx.

Forget the D40, reason being
- only able to use AF-S lenses
- paltry 3 point AF system vs 400D's 9 point AF
- no anti-dust facilities
- 400D has the eye sensor which turns off the LCD when you place it to your eye

Thanks Diver-hloc and Teegongkia for the great suggestions!!

i would love to get the Tamron lens... but i'll see to it if my budget allows me to get 400D Body and a Tamron...

Should be looking to pay about S$1740 for the 400D body plus Tamron 17-50 2.8. Maybe you could get it cheaper since you are buying both at the same time :cool:

Should be looking to pay about S$1740 for the 400D body plus Tamron 17-50 2.8. Maybe you could get it cheaper since you are buying both at the same time :cool:

Thanks Mark!...thats kinda over my budget :sweat: but i really hope to get them at a cheaper price.... or maybe i could get a 2nd hand Tamron:think:.... still considering though...

Thanks Mark!...thats kinda over my budget :sweat: but i really hope to get them at a cheaper price.... or maybe i could get a 2nd hand Tamron:think:.... still considering though...

If you could get a 2nd-hand, that'll be awesome. However, I don't see many people selling away their 17-50s, which proves our point that that Tamron really is good.

Diver-hloc hit the nail on the head: You will definitely outgrow your Kit-lens if you shoot often once you buy the dslr. Then when you get new lenses, you'll leave it unused and then sell it. The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is probably not going to leave your camera bag if you purchase it!

Status
Not open for further replies.