Getting 550D tomorrow. Need to confirm some stuff

zhehaolau

Aug 12, 2010
Hi guys.

Will be getting my 550D tomorrow.
Just got some questions to ask.

1. Canon 550D with 18-55mm @ 1199. Is that price good or is there a better price around.
2. I am thinking of getting the promotion 50mm f1.8. Need a filter for it. Filter size for this is 52mm?
3. I am getting 2 UV filters for 18-55 and 50mm. So i need one 52mm and one 58mm filter right?
4. What brand should i be getting? Hoya? How much will it cost? Around 25 bucks?
5. Lastly, should i get a polarize filter for my 18-55 now or should i get it for 50mm?

Thanks!

come on, answers to questions 2 and 3 findable on google =p

Hi guys.

1. Canon 550D with 18-55mm @ 1199. Is that price good or is there a better price around.
2. I am thinking of getting the promotion 50mm f1.8. Need a filter for it. Filter size for this is 52mm?
3. I am getting 2 UV filters for 18-55 and 50mm. So i need one 52mm and one 58mm filter right?
4. What brand should i be getting? Hoya? How much will it cost? Around 25 bucks?
5. Lastly, should i get a polarize filter for my 18-55 now or should i get it for 50mm?

Thanks!

Price seems ok, which shop are you getting it from? becareful of bait and switch tactic, some shops quote low price to lure you in.

Hi guys.

Thanks!

The price sounds too good to be true. I got mine for 1469 2mths ago. I believe the retail price is 1349 now.

Hoya UV filter is a good choice.. I use Hoya HMC filter for all my lenses and am quite satisfied.

As for the polarising filter, be sure to get the CPL (circular polarising filter) and not the linear polariser. I got my CPL for my 18-55mm lens. Personally I find the CPL useful for shooting landscapes, which is probably what you'll do with your 18-55mm kit lens. the 50mm 1.8 lens will be more for portrait shooting, especially on a cropped camera like the 550D.

Thanks for the quick reply bros!

I am getting from MS Color.
Price has dropped quite a lot already because canon recently just dropped their price for 550d again.

Question 2 and 3 i am just reconfirming. (;

Don't bother getting any filters for the 50mm, the front element is not directly outside so the chances of being scratched are not very high. Its also the cheapest lens Canon has, so don't bother.

@ismokeweed79

Oh yea i forgot about that point. True!
Will save the money and get polarizer for 18-55.

Thanks!

For protection, get hood.

The price sounds too good to be true. I got mine for 1469 2mths ago. I believe the retail price is 1349 now.

The price is ok, pricelist shows prices as low as $1260 for 550D kit 5 months ago, think you paid more for your's. So $1199 now is ok and MS-color can be trusted.

The price is ok, pricelist shows prices as low as $1260 for 550D kit 5 months ago, think you paid more for your's. So $1199 now is ok and MS-color can be trusted.

Yup.. agreed.. I got mine for $1290 6 months ago.. ;)

go e-bay, i got all my filter from there and itis damn cheap and get a len hood as well as it will be useful in the near future ..

CPL can be used on 18-55mm? Pardon me for this,i thought cpl can only be used on lens that its front element does not rotate while focusing?plz comment =)

CPL can be used on 18-55mm? Pardon me for this,i thought cpl can only be used on lens that its front element does not rotate while focusing?plz comment =)

Still can be used, just more troublesome, have to adjust the CPL after you have focused.

Approximately how much is one CPL? :S

Don't save on filters, take the plunge and get a good one like Hoya Pro 1 Digital, Hoya HD, B+W F Pro or B+W XS Pro.

See, by buying a higher graded UV Filter, you will have lesser chances of getting flares or glares when shooting under hot sunny weather.

Ya, I bought mine from Courts.. only after buying that i realised i paid the RRP. Furthermore the salesman convinced me to get the Courts Extended Warranty, so in all i paid close to $1700. :(

Of course that was before i discovered clubsnap.