get tough to yourself. AD WEDDING

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotoudavid

Mar 11, 2005
2 years ago, the wedding pics i took sucks. I feel frustrated.

I look at others portfolios, forced myself to improve and compete with others.
I think, 1 wedding cannot, the second wedding i must do it. Still cannot, go for it the 3rd time, till i succeed.

Alot of things depends on yourself, don't feel discourage if fails for a number of times.

I have come to a extend that my wedding pics are acceptable already i must say, but i still forcing myself to shoot better, different angles, and training my eyes for little things that looks good. Visual is important.

Just get tough to yourself, force yourself to the extend that you go home happy, knowing you got the pics you want, not just producing pics to give, BUT SOMETHING YOU WANT.

My speech ends.:bsmilie:

smurfman said:

I think, 1 wedding cannot, the second wedding i must do it. Still cannot, go for it the 3rd time, till i succeed.

Alot of things depends on yourself, don't feel discourage if fails for a number of times.

I have come to a extend that my wedding pics are acceptable already i must say, but i still forcing myself to shoot better, different angles, and training my eyes for little things that looks good. Visual is important.

Just get tough to yourself, force yourself to the extend that you go home happy, knowing you got the pics you want, not just producing pics to give, BUT SOMETHING YOU WANT.

i too would to try...

the problem i face is i scare i might mess up the photos and not able to capture those moments which is like once in a lifetime..

but, dun try, i never learn..

another thing is i only have a prosumer cam.. read on other thread abt someone using DSLR insulting a prosumer user... hmmm :think:

great piece of advise...

Agree... I am always not happy with my result so I always try harder and harder.

:vhappy: :cheergal:

That's why whenever I got friends' wedding & I not official, i will bring my little camera to practise to improve... but of course will not disturb the official photographer's job :embrass:

A good advice but perhaps the following line should clarified:

I feel its alright if the photog is NOT the main photog. A couple's wedding day is one of the most important event in their life, its not a playground for wedding photog wanabe. That should not be the mentality. If the photog is not sure, don't do it.

HippingHippo said:

I feel its alright if the photog is NOT the main photog. A couple's wedding day is one of the most important event in their life, its not a playground for wedding photog wanabe. That should not be the mentality. If the photog is not sure, don't do it.
I think you get him wrong already, he never shoot wedding for free, since day 1, what he meant was he find that his photos cannot compete with his wife's photos and my photos many years ago.

I find that he shoot better than me now.

not always got opportunity ler....:mad2:

k3nn3th03 said:
i too would to try...

the problem i face is i scare i might mess up the photos and not able to capture those moments which is like once in a lifetime..

but, dun try, i never learn..

another thing is i only have a prosumer cam.. read on other thread abt someone using DSLR insulting a prosumer user... hmmm :think:

This is very sad if someone would have said that. Even though there are differences in DSLR and Prosumer cam. Doesn't mean that they can't use it to shoot weddings. Have a look at my link. All those pics are either shot by using Sony 828 or Panasonic FZ20. You may question why i shoot using prosumer cam and not DSLR when i have the means to do it. Well I prefer something portable and easy to manage(No need to change lens). Of course they other main reason is that they are more economical. And why I choose 828 and FZ20 is because they each have their strong attributes which DSLRs may not have. of course prosumer cams have their flaws & limitations. So the rule of thumb is " Understand your cam and know what they can do. Explore every means of their feature. Then couple your creativity in composition and framing to obtain the best result. Practice makes perfect"

smurfman said:

When I tried my hand to grab wedding photos for a colleague a year ago, I was hot-headed on photography. But I churned out the most horrible crap ever.

A year on, the passion still lives (and I feel its dying after so many incidents), I trained hard for a year and tried my hand at a colleague's wedding this time round, what can I say? The big jump is there, but I feel its not good enuff yet to see the smile on my Shifu's face yet.

I've got a friend's wedding in December as the 'official backup' photographer in addition to the pro they had hired (apparently, I wasn't 'Pro enuff' for my friend's husband who snubbed my 'poor skills').

I guess I can see where smurfman came from. Working his way and fighting an uphill battle. If there's a real battle, its in December for me. Lets hope I can survive that.

HippingHippo said:

thats not testing grounds, should shoot standards things first, then got time then practice till perfect. what you say its true also, but wedding, sure got time one.;)

beaniecow said:
This is very sad if someone would have said that. Even though there are differences in DSLR and Prosumer cam. Doesn't mean that they can't use it to shoot weddings. Have a look at my link. All those pics are either shot by using Sony 828 or Panasonic FZ20. You may question why i shoot using prosumer cam and not DSLR when i have the means to do it. Well I prefer something portable and easy to manage(No need to change lens). Of course they other main reason is that they are more economical. And why I choose 828 and FZ20 is because they each have their strong attributes which DSLRs may not have. of course prosumer cams have their flaws & limitations. So the rule of thumb is " Understand your cam and know what they can do. Explore every means of their feature. Then couple your creativity in composition and framing to obtain the best result. Practice makes perfect"

Please bear with my rationale below for Not Recommending "Prosumer Cams" :

[1] As of todate, Price differences between low-entry level DSLR and Prosumer Cam have narrowed, and it is not an issue anymore, as compared maybe 4-5 years ago. :cry:
[ A few hundreds of difference is Nothing compared to the ROI, within less than 6-month period ]

[2] The High ISO Noise level witness in every Prosumer Cams is a Big Negative for many situational in any weddings, especially in Low-Light challenges. :thumbsd:
[ Please don't tell us it's Artistic too be grainy, and moody shots are your Signatures ]

[3] The Killer of them all is -- Shutter-Lags. :thumbsd:
[ Please Explained to your Couples, if you have had missed their Kissing Moment at ROM, or Do you want them to Kiss for 3 seconds, or More for you to focus, composed & trigger ? ... more to share if interested ]

It is practically Ok, if you finds changing Lenses between takes, is a hassle, and Not your style. However, the capable standard zooms lens Kit of today, are an good alternative, and no longer an issue about wanting above-average optical results.

For those reading this, investing in hardwares is an important decision that needed serious long-term consideration, in-relation to your applications and job-scope.
Afterall, not many have had the luxary of experimentations and changing of gears, and brands, in the Golden Age of Digital Photography.

- A Slow Donkey will never turn into a Galloping Work-Horse, even if you fed him with alfa-alfa, vitamins, and what'-not. It's better to dis-card and move-on. :nono:

i think there's gotta be a balance.

if u keep saying ur shots cannot make it, how are u gonna convince ur customers that u CAN make it?

i think once in a while, patting urself on the back does as much "pushing forward" as a hard kick in the backside.

u keep on kicking urself on the backside one day u gonna turn around and tell that person (urself) to go suck thumb.. and there goes ur passion and motivation.

smurfman said:

Here's 2 qns for you:

a) what do you want?
b) how do you know you are 'there' already?

:) dun have to give an answer here. Think about it.

Enchanted said:
Please bear with my rationale below for Not Recommending "Prosumer Cams" :

[1] As of todate, Price differences between low-entry level DSLR and Prosumer Cam have narrowed, and it is not an issue anymore, as compared maybe 4-5 years ago. :cry:
[ A few hundreds of difference is Nothing compared to the ROI, within less than 6-month period ]

[2] The High ISO Noise level witness in every Prosumer Cams is a Big Negative for many situational in any weddings, especially in Low-Light challenges. :thumbsd:
[ Please don't tell us it's Artistic too be grainy, and moody shots are your Signatures ]

[3] The Killer of them all is -- Shutter-Lags. :thumbsd:
[ Please Explained to your Couples, if you have had missed their Kissing Moment at ROM, or Do you want them to Kiss for 3 seconds, or More for you to focus, composed & trigger ? ... more to share if interested ]

It is practically Ok, if you finds changing Lenses between takes, is a hassle, and Not your style. However, the capable standard zooms lens Kit of today, are an good alternative, and no longer an issue about wanting above-average optical results.

For those reading this, investing in hardwares is an important decision that needed serious long-term consideration, in-relation to your applications and job-scope.
Afterall, not many have had the luxary of experimentations and changing of gears, and brands, in the Golden Age of Digital Photography.

- A Slow Donkey will never turn into a Galloping Work-Horse, even if you fed him with alfa-alfa, vitamins, and what'-not. It's better to dis-card and move-on. :nono:

I definately do agree with your points on the above. A prosumer cam is always a prosumer cam. It can never outperform a DSLR in certain aspects. Just that when i read about what k3nn3th03 said a DSLR user insulting a prosumer user. Felt that its too much and which I would like to share my personal experience with the fellow users here. Indeed prosumer cams have very high noise. And 828 and FZ20 noise level is uacceptable to me at ISO 200. So my limitation is to ISO 100. As for shutter lags, i'm not sure about other prosumer cams but my 828 and FZ20 can handle my requirement very well. But seriously when i see people with their DSLR shooting speed and focusing speed like nobody's busineess. I always drool~. I would love to own a DSLR but as what you said earlier. "Not many have had the luxary of experimentations and changing of gears, and brands, in the Golden Age of Digital Photography"

so who will give newbie to take not-so-good pics in the first place ?

Status
Not open for further replies.