GET E-1 or jus settle with E-500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuatan1984

Jul 24, 2005
hi all,

quite tempted to get the E-1 combo package from cameta.com. as the price is below
SGD 2k and that is my dream DSLR since my JC days, I am seriously considering it. I am also looking at E-500.

What do you folks say? should i get the older camera E-1, with only 5mp or get the e-500 which is a newer model but wont satisfied myself since i was shooting with SLR for 5 years already.... Headache sia....

but seriously since i am new to digital slr, is 5mp really enough?

Again dun me fooled by megapixel count.

If u shoot those 6megapixel DSLR like D70 with Fine JPEG, the compression ratio is so high that the end result is around 2.5mb.

with E1 , u can choose SHQ compression ratio as 1/2.7. A JPEG file that is average 3.8mb.

I am sure 3.8mb contain more detail than 2.5m JPEG pic.

Visit Olympus studio at High Street, there are couple of poster size bird photo. U will be surprised with the quality of E1 output.

wong_se said:
Again dun me fooled by megapixel count.

If u shoot those 6megapixel DSLR like D70 with Fine JPEG, the compression ratio is so high that the end result is around 2.5mb.

with E1 , u can choose SHQ compression ratio as 1/2.7. A JPEG file that is average 3.8mb.

I am sure 3.8mb contain more detail than 2.5m JPEG pic.

Visit Olympus studio at High Street, there are couple of poster size bird photo. U will be surprised with the quality of E1 output.

seriously, the megapixel count does not really matter. Like what wong_se has said, 3.8mb contain more detail then 2.5m JPEG. Furthermore, there are a lot of olympus accessories for the E-1. Go ahead and fufill your dream!

wow, well, i will seriously think about it.

as for sensor on the E-1 compared to later E-system say E-500, E-300,

will the color of the pictures taken be jus as rich as E-500 and E-300?

sorry about my question but i am really new to digital slr;) , what is higher "mp" for, people are coming out with cameras with more than 10mp, does that really help on the photo quality?

million thanks....

True.. low jpeg compression that is one of the good point where Olympus is better than the other brands. Both the 1/2.7 and 1/4 compression used by Olympus are better than the best jpeg levels offer by the other brands.. :(

But many of the pros or enthusiats shoot raw so no diff.. ;p

If you do alot of large size enlargement; I mean really large ones. Then 10 mp and above is better. For normal enlargement up to A3, a 5mp is more than enough. Also don't forget, the higher the mp, the more processing power is required by your PC as well as storage space.

E500 and E1 cater to different usage, the E500 for those who don't need elements protection while E1 for those who need to use their cam in adverse condition.
Look at your requirement lor.:)

joshuatan1984 said:
wow, well, i will seriously think about it.

sorry about my question but i am really new to digital slr;) , what is higher "mp" for, people are coming out with cameras with more than 10mp, does that really help on the photo quality?

million thanks....

It only helps in prints. Depend on how big you want to print it. For the E1, I have printed only A4 size and it is tack sharp even if you put it right at your noise. If you want to print A3 and view it REAL CLOSE, I guess a 10MP camera will help. but this kind of thing is very subjective. Different people has different standards for how sharp is sharp enough

As for the sensor, the technology is identical to E500 and E300. Although E1 has less MP than E300/500 it has higher dynamic range due to the larger pixel size. There is a white paper somewhere in the net with the technical specs of both sensors. I can't seem to find it anymore.

One nice thing about E1 is that it has an external WB sensor which makes its WB very accurate and the colors are very nice off camera.

joshuatan1984 said:

If u shot in RAW, i believe there is not much difference between E1 and E500 in terms of the colour.

but if u shot in JEPG, the camera have done some processing before U see it on the LCD or on your PC.

If picture colour is not that rich..u can ;

1) adjust the settings in camera
2) adjust the saturation in PS

wind30 said:
If you want to print A3 and view it REAL CLOSE, I guess a 10MP camera will help. but this kind of thing is very subjective.

When one go to a photo exhibition...he will admire the photo from a distance.

If there is a photo printed in a poster size...and he moves that real close (ie..less than 1 foot distance) to check sharpness..then he is more trying to find fault.

Even with 15 megapixel camera, if will enlarge it to 100% crop...I believe we can always find fault here and there..ie..corner detail not as sharp. etc..etc..

generally for hobbyists, mp not very impt. but u have to consider sometimes u need to crop yr photos,
u end up with 3-4mp photo. is this acceptable to u?

E1 does not have built in flash, do u need such a feature? or u prefer to use external flash for all occasions that need one.

a metal body cam like E1 is always feels more solid and nice to use....
i like metal body cam & need built in flash also, so i choose e300.

The E-1 combo will give you the wonderful 14-54mm which is a excellent len which also do simple macro shot.

Is there any feature on the E-1 that really attracts you compared to the E-500?
(prefer heavier and weather proof built? prefer externally accessible controls? don't really use internal flash? smaller LCD preview is ok? like to use manual focus?)

It seems that you have some equipment feature wish that is already not satisfied by E-500?

Read the review and detail on www.dpreview.com which provide comprehensive information comparing the specification of both camera.

E-1 picture quality is superb so don't worry on this aspect.

joshuatan1984 said:
hi all,

quite tempted to get the E-1 combo package from cameta.com. as the price is below
SGD 2k and that is my dream DSLR since my JC days, I am seriously considering it. I am also looking at E-500.

What do you folks say? should i get the older camera E-1, with only 5mp or get the e-500 which is a newer model but wont satisfied myself since i was shooting with SLR for 5 years already.... Headache sia....

but seriously since i am new to digital slr, is 5mp really enough?

E-1's color fidelity is a key for me to keep it.
Comparing to E-500, E-1's body is much more durable especially for its toughness and weathersealed (this one also very important!)

Megapixel resolution will affect only if you print more than 1 m x 1 m size. So.. do not worry to go for E-1 imo..

The shutter life of the E-1 is also much much longer than E-xxx series

zuikoku said:
E-1's color fidelity is a key for me to keep it.
Comparing to E-500, E-1's body is much more durable especially for its toughness and weathersealed (this one also very important!)

Megapixel resolution will affect only if you print more than 1 m x 1 m size. So.. do not worry to go for E-1 imo..

ch5800 said:
The shutter life of the E-1 is also much much longer than E-xxx series

150,000 shutter count before it will die. Compared to most consumer DSLR at 50k.

wong_se said:
150,000 shutter count before it will die. Compared to most consumer DSLR at 50k.

Wow, really Pro's grade....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.