Get D700 now or wait for D600 rumoured

DS-harmonics

Mar 5, 2011
Hi,

I would like to ask if it is worth it to get D700 now... an old model... or wait for the new D600 to come out... specs wise D600 would be better than D700 and cheaper too since it is entry level FF right?

See opinion of people here. wad u all think?

If you already have a camera, then no harm waiting

But if not, I think its better to get the D700 and start shooting :)

Btw, how sure the D600 will come out?

I believed Rumors won't cheated you and just have to standby your own pocket money in the time and put on pre-order.

If you have follow up from passed news and now all to be dream come true.

Hi,

I would like to ask if it is worth it to get D700 now... an old model... or wait for the new D600 to come out... specs wise D600 would be better than D700 and cheaper too since it is entry level FF right?

See opinion of people here. wad u all think?

If you can't wait, then do you have a choice?

If you can wait, then do you even need a camera to begin with?

Nobody knows if there will even be a D600 so a D700 would always be a better choice because it exists and you can use it to take photos. D600 could be the holy grail of cameras but well....... it doesn't exist.

That's my take if you are buying a camera to take photos with. If your interest is to just buy the latest and greatest, then wait.

luckyorange said:
IIRC, I think it's 80%

Wow.. Tats good.. I'm waiting to upgrade to FF too, soon there will be another thread " D600 or D800, which one to get?"..

ckkent said:
Wow.. Tats good.. I'm waiting to upgrade to FF too, soon there will be another thread " D600 or D800, which one to get?"..

Got extra money an get D800, if in your budget and go for D600, if really just wanna take for fews shoot a week, still can consider on D700 :-D

Even D7000 is the option to go.

Last edited:
When in doubt, get them all!

yes, buy them all, try them all, sell whichever you dont like. Just like D800 if you sell now, you can make some money i believe :p

Eddie77 said:
yes, buy them all, try them all, sell whichever you dont like. Just like D800 if you sell now, you can make some money i believe :p

After that you will realize on D3x vs D800 and found the D800 overall is the winner!!!

Kit said:

Nobody knows if there will even be a D600 so a D700 would always be a better choice because it exists and you can use it to take photos. D600 could be the holy grail of cameras but well....... it doesn't exist.

That's my take if you are buying a camera to take photos with. If your interest is to just buy the latest and greatest, then wait.

kit

Very well said

Haha... Let's wait and see how cheap will D600 be compare to D800..

TS, this is probably the best advice you can receive.

Between D700 and D800/E (when it was announced) I chose D700... There are no right or wrong decisions - you just buy a camera that suits you most. D700 has advantages over D800, and vice versa of course. Even though it's an old DSLR, D700 is a proven set and will continue deliver what it has been created for and set out to do (after all, most of the bugs have been ironed out and it still will continue to receive updates).

And even though I might be looking at D600 as a backup camera, there are still many things I'm still not sure of the set (and performance is still unproven, but since it's a Nikon - they will simply take no quarters). Given the current "announced" D600 specs on NR, while it looks more rosy over D700, I can tell you that D700 also have strong points over D600 that you can't negate or ignore.

Ultimately, don't buy a camera just because it's new, don't buy just because it's cheaper, and don't buy just because it's more expensive... Confusing? Yes, but if you truly want to save $$$ - be a thinking buyer - access your needs/wants first. Of course "needs and wants" are VERY subjective... :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Isnt the only advantage the lesser MP? (over D800) I do not like the top dial (as what seen in rumor mill) of the D600. It's really a step up for D7000 user.

Isnt the only advantage the lesser MP? (over D800) I do not like the top dial (as what seen in rumor mill) of the D600. It's really a step up for D7000 user.

8FPS with grip using AA bats or EN-EL4A - as close as the D3 and D3s can deliver... cheaper MB-D10 too... ;)

Yes, I'm not too keen with the top dial either, but at least they provided a locking mechanism... wished they used the pro buttons like on D700/D800/D3/D3s/D3X/D4 but then again... it's what distinguishes it between an entry-level versus semi-pro/pro bodies... At least they still provide the top LCD...

Question now in my mind is... whether the VF is big enough... AND would adding the grip gives extra FPS performance...

Last edited:
And btw, I like higher FPS doesn't mean I put 8 shots in a single squeeze... on the other hand, it's getting 2 shots a lot quicker in 8FPS than 5/6FPS...