German glass is better than Japanese glass because?

German glass is better than Japanese glass because?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jed

Jan 19, 2002
UK
Visit site
As above. You know where my tongue is. Multiple choice *allowed*

And feel free to post suitable options, I might include them in the poll if they're *goooood* ;)

Originally posted by Jed

And feel free to post suitable options, I might include them in the poll if they're *goooood* ;)

What about "Laica is the only lens that is sharper then my 20mm Sickma" ?

OK here goes.

The sand in Germany is more radioactive after the British dropped the atom bomb on them for bombing Pearl Harbour. We all know that the best lenses contain lots of rare earth elements, which is easier to extract from radioactive sand. Ergo, the German lenses are better.

The Japanese glass is all made in China or Malaysia anyway.

Say, how about glass from other countries?

Russian glass is legendary for its lenses which are multicoated with nose oil (the so-called glasnost).

Singapore glass is either imported from China, or recycled from broken bottles (NEWglass).

Malaysian glass is actually plastic.

OK I think I've insulted enough people today. Will stop here.

After being made into lenses, the resultant glass in German lenses retain enough radioactive energy which made users/buyers swear by it. Minute amounts of the radioactivity carries over in the German glass propaganda, and those who have a weak resistance get attracted by it, and henceforth think that only Deustche glass will do - everything else is inferior.

The disease is not easily curable, for serious cases, the radioactivity would have damaged part of the brain (you hold the camera very close to your eye what). Depending on whether you are a left eye or right eye shooter, the consequence can vary - either you lose logic, or you lose creativity/artistry.

;p :rbounce:

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Simon

What about "Laica is the only lens that is sharper then my 20mm Sickma" ?
Sickma might be 1/3 stop less sharper than Canon and 2/3 stop than Leica but it's 1 stop cheaper than Canon and 2 stops cheaper than Leica. And my eyes have a tolerance of -1/3~+1/3 in terms of sharpness... :D

Originally posted by ckiang
After being made into lenses, the resultant glass in German lenses retain enough radioactive energy which made users/buyers swear by it. Minute amounts of the radioactivity carries over in the German glass propaganda, and those who have a weak resistance get attracted by it, and henceforth think that only Deustche glass will do - everything else is inferior.

The disease is not easily curable, for serious cases, the radioactivity would have damaged part of the brain (you hold the camera very close to your eye what). Depending on whether you are a left eye or right eye shooter, the consequence can vary - either you lose logic, or you lose creativity/artistry.

;p :rbounce:

Regards
CK

The radioactivity will change your focus and spread disease to let you think that Deustche glass is ultimate.

<joke>
This is a no-brainer! Of coz German glass is superior! It's made from fine sand from the banks of the Rhine created from millions of years of erosion. Look at the fine cathedrals with stained glass and all the glass windows in the fatherland.

The nipponese can't even make proper glass windows and have to make do with paper and wood for their houses. Sheesh! Ever wondered why those jap planes kept crashing into US ships in WW2? They couldn't see clearly and pull up in time thru those crummy distorted cockpits!
</joke>

No offence intended....I use Hoya filters on all my lenses.;p

Originally posted by Belle&amp;Sebastain
Y do the axis powers make better glass?

this question can be further extended to.....

why are the automobile and photography industries so dependent on Axis powers?

why are we at the mercy of the Japanese manufacturing and electronics industry?

And why are our young teenagers and youths so swoon over Japanese culture and Jap idols?

50 plus years since the Jap invaded Singapore physically, we are once more slaves to them....in different ways......

something to reflect over the National Day weekend i suppose :)

Hi

to add a tinge of seriousness in all this discussion.....though i do know Jed started it all for humour....:)

Equipment choices are a very personal thing, and everybody has a healthy amount of emotional baggage attached to their own choices.

It's long been a favourite snicker of photographers to comment on fellow shooters with the more expensive equipment (or in this context, German glass) that "of course he thinks it's the best - he threw a lot of money in it", and to frequently throw snide remarks and passing sacarsm. Reverse discrimination at its best - subtly done....

However, wat is unconscious to those same pple is the fact that maybe they are too emotional about spending too much money to be objective, and thus, jumping at every possible justification to burn / flame equipment (and their respective owners) at the proverbial stake so as to pacify themselves that they have stuff of similar quality at much lower prices.

All it takes is one parrot to casually say "i don't see a difference!" and the rest of the parrots will jump on the bandwagon eagerly singing the same song, satisfied in their new found knowledge their equipment is just as good - without attempting to seek objective opinions or trying it out for themselves. After all, why bother? Better to live in the well and be content, than jumping out to find out. And while we're at that, let's ask others to limit themselves too, regardless of their needs!

Worse are those who see it to themselves to impose their own equipment choices on others, giving "sage" advice when they have barely mastered whatever they have, or worse, the basics of photography.

Of course i'm not advocating that just because a lens is more expensive, it must be better. (Anyone who jumps to that conclusion must surely belong to the class of people I mentioned above).

Since photography is such a tool based endeavour, therefore it follows that the acquisition of tools must

1) Meet one's needs and expectations
2) As a result of (1), suitably inspire the user of the tool.

A skilled craftsman needs tools he is comfortable with, and inspired by, to produce great work. The best writers in the world may not be using the best pens or quills, but you can bet they have strong opinions about the pens or quills they use. Ditto for painters.

The best lens is the lens that you can afford and you can fully make use of, and be inspired by enough to produce great work with.

Sometimes this may be a cheaper third party lens with excellent quality but may be frequently overlooked (i offer the Sigma 20 f1.8 as an example of such); at other times, it may be a highly priced, precisely engineered piece of branded glass with unmatched low light capabilities and unique optical signature (for example, the Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f1.0).

Ultimately it's the pictures you produce that will be revealing of you and speak of you, not the equipment that you use.

Pple who understand this have perhaps, already seen the light. (pun intended)

Originally posted by StreetShooter
OK here goes.

The sand in Germany is more radioactive after the British dropped the atom bomb on them for bombing Pearl Harbour. We all know that the best lenses contain lots of rare earth elements, which is easier to extract from radioactive sand. Ergo, the German lenses are better.
Erm, since when did the British drop any atomic bombs on German ground? :dunno:

And since when did Germany attack Pearl Harbour?? :dunno:

You got your facts wrong already. :what:

:dent:

Originally posted by Jed

... and there I was labouring for years under the misguided view that German glass was superior due to the effects of the so called Dik Tuger's factors that goes like this ...

Dik Tugers first law of German glass.

If it costs three times as much as its rivals it must be better because it's more expensive.

Dik Tugers second law of German glass.

German glass is exempted from the effects of physics, film limitations and meantime the circle of confusion decreases in ever tightning spirals until it dissapears up the fundamental orrifice of its owner due to their inability to differentiate fact from fiction.

Dik Tugers third law of German glass.

The superiority of german glass is directly proportional to it's owners disposable income.

Dik Tugers fourth law of German glass.

German glass has magical mystical powers that are only visible to those who own it.

Dik Tugers fifth law of German glass.

Zeiss is god. Only an uninformed dweeb would dare dispute the superiority of Zeiss over all other lenses so I can be as irrational as I like.

:devil:

Who is Dik Tuger?
guiness.JPG

I know I know... if I have to ask, it means I'm one of the great unwashed masses....

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Who is Dik Tuger?

I know I know... if I have to ask, it means I'm one of the great unwashed masses....

i guess that makes 2 of us ;p

wat's with the Guinness mug? (i haven't been watching TV ;p)

Status
Not open for further replies.