Geometric Progression - How to key into MS Excel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ah.zeep

Jun 20, 2006
Hi Guys,

Seeking Excel Wizards here. How'd you key in the formula for a GP in Excel? Thanks!
Erm, not exactly sure what you want, see if the following steps are sort of what you're looking for:
  1. Enter 1 into A1
  2. Enter: A1*SQRT(2) into A2
  3. Select A2 to A10, then click Edit / Fill / Down
    or
    Hover mouse over the bottom-left corner of A2 cell, where the corner dot is thicker; the
    cursor turns to +, then click and drag it to fill down...

roygoh

Jan 18, 2002
Northwest
Visit site
If you can describe what you are trying to achieve in more detail then you can get more specific answers.

Are you trying to calculate a specific term in a GP series, given the first term and the ratio? Or are you trying to calculate the sum of a finite number of terms? Or are you trying to geerate a GP in a series of cells?

Francis247

Staff member
Jul 10, 2005
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
If you can describe what you are trying to achieve in more detail then you can get more specific answers.

Are you trying to calculate a specific term in a GP series, given the first term and the ratio? Or are you trying to calculate the sum of a finite number of terms? Or are you trying to geerate a GP in a series of cells?
Agree with Roy.
If you are trying to generate a GP in the series of cells, you can use what ah.zeep suggested.

To Calculate specific term nth term in the GP series,
a*(r^(n-1)) where you let the first term be a and common ratio be r

To calculate Sum to first n terms of a G. P.,
(a*(1-r^n))/(1-r) OR (a*(r^n-1))/(r-1)

sehsuan

Deregistered
Dec 12, 2002
Singapore
www.sportsshooter.com
something seems to be wrong the way i'm doing it.

let's say, i'm calculating $36000/pa, for 17 years, at 2%. i want to get the sum, but seem to be getting the nth term instead, because i'm getting 39130.xxx as the answer... argh :p I'm looking for the sum of it.. any help from here?

thanks!

kiat

Jun 20, 2005
kxbc.blogspot.com
something seems to be wrong the way i'm doing it.

let's say, i'm calculating $36000/pa, for 17 years, at 2%. i want to get the sum, but seem to be getting the nth term instead, because i'm getting 39130.xxx as the answer... argh :p I'm looking for the sum of it.. any help from here?

thanks!
I have no idea what is GP but based on your explanation above, are you trying to see what will be the final amount of your investment ($36k) at a constant growth rate of 2% pa for 17 years? If it is so, the 1 cell formula will be:

36000*(1+2%)^17 and the answer is 50409.69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom