General travel tips and info

For those who want to ease the effect of jet lag, they can purchase Melatonin from Guardian / pharmacy. However, some people do not feel it's effectiveness.

When packing toothpaste or shampoo, you can use small plastic bottles and squeeze the air out, so there is some negative pressure. This prevents spills into the adjacent luggage.

When packing toothpaste or shampoo, you can use small plastic bottles and squeeze the air out, so there is some negative pressure. This prevents spills into the adjacent luggage.

Or even better, inquire whether accommodation provides such toiletries (incl. towels) so you don't need to bring those stuff.

p/s: Oops, not a seasoned traveller, but I think the above would help.

Good point
Most hotels in Japan and Taiwan or chain hotels in USA have this.
Cheers
Or even better, inquire whether accommodation provides such toiletries (incl. towels) so you don't need to bring those stuff.

p/s: Oops, not a seasoned traveller, but I think the above would help.

For those who want to ease the effect of jet lag, they can purchase Melatonin from Guardian / pharmacy. However, some people do not feel it's effectiveness.
Melatonin is more for jet lag after you landed. If you are flying and have air sickness, try get the ginger pills.

Also useful is this rub from Origins, called peaceful minds or something... helps to relax you

hide your money into at least 3 location on your body

Dun put all your egg into 1 basket.

when walking thru crowd
always hug your backpack infront of you , put your wallet in the front pocket, and tuck your hand in the pocket

Last edited:
Hello,
I read your comment.Well nice information sharing,i must say.I am really pleased to see such travel tips and info sharing at the community.Try to share more like this in future.Thank you for the Information.

Travel with your money kept at 4 places on the body.
1. Excess cash stored away in a money belt hidden under clothings (waist type best, can buy here in Spore).
2. Main wallet holding cards and main cash in side trousers pocket used only in "confined" space like dept stores, hotel checkin etc.
3 2ndwallet with some working cash, "faked" credit cards and if you happened to get laid, "happily" surrender this wallet.
4. Small change in breast pocket especially in crowed places and roadside where you may not want to take out and display your wallets.

Travel with the following 3 safety precautions:
1. Have the hotel card with you so that you can direct the cab etc to your hotel.
2. Check fire exits on your floor, make sure the door can be opened and you know exactly where the door is located cos in blackout/fire that's your life saver.
3. A whistle and small torchlight by the bedside. If you're still alive in situations like Sichuan earthquake... you will find a use for these. Alert rescuers and marshal your family.

And never forget travel insurance. Medical repatriation charges are horrendous.
An example: from Inner Mongolia home to Spore atttracts a bill of SGD42,000

Travel light and do not bring valuables. Watch that can display 2 separate timezones. Road signs in Chinese cities include the points of the compass;a small compass is useful in DIY trips. You'll realise that you do not need much to stay comfortable. Can always buy what's needed anyway (and our people are great shoppers). Nothing can be worst than having a heavily loaded bag and limiting your choice of mobility and freedom.

make sure that electrical/equipment are AC230/110V.
Use a 2nd body or PNS cam as backup, just in case.
Make local contacts with hotel.
Have reliable driver and check the vehicle are in good condition on long road trip.
Check local weather conditions before getting on the road.

HTH

to save more money on a budget trip, don't go to tourist traps areas to shop or dine. go where the locals go. often, they taste better and cost much less.

wear something comfortable and localized. do try not to stick out like a sore thumb as much as possible. blend in to the local culture as much as possible.soak it up. feel it.

and the most most most important tip in any travel is...

HAVE FUN!!!

There are not that many nations we need visas for:

Australia - done online within minutes

USA - well its not a visa, but since you need to apply for something...

India

Bangladesh

Not so sure about S Amercia nations - anyone?

One of the few perks of a red passport :)

There are not that many nations we need visas for:

Australia - done online within minutes

USA - well its not a visa, but since you need to apply for something...

India

Bangladesh

Not so sure about S Amercia nations - anyone?

One of the few perks of a red passport :)
Need to apply for ESTA when going to USA. Choose the direct link from the US embassy, singapore website. I came across some fake sites which requires payment. ESTA is FREE.

make sure that electrical/equipment are AC230/110V.
Use a 2nd body or PNS cam as backup, just in case.
Make local contacts with hotel.
Have reliable driver and check the vehicle are in good condition on long road trip.
Check local weather conditions before getting on the road.

HTH

Charger with 110-240V, is dual voltage. Will work in both current inputs.

Travel Tags:

Just put your phone and email. Don't put your address - the thieves will know who is not at home and if you put your home address and it is an outbound journey then your luggage goes to the wrong place!

These is some of my Safety Tips please make use of it.

At the hotel:

Never leave your luggage unattended
Store valuables in the hotel's safety deposit box
Expensive items of clothing should be locked inside a suitcase
Keep your room locked whether you are in or not
If someone knocks, check the identity of caller
In the street

Carry your (video) camera in a shoulder bag and not around your neck
Avoid display of jewelry and other valuables and never carry large amounts of money
Carry small change in your wallet and your bank notes / credit cards separately in your pocket or in a pouch under your shirt
Carry certified copies of documents and leave the originals in the safe deposit box
At night stay clear of dark and isolated areas - It is better to explore by taxi or in groups after dark
To avoid injury, never resist physically should an attempt be made to rob you
When lost ask a police officer or shop owner for directions - not a stranger
Be aware, that violent attacks on tourists by small street children are common. Never give money to children
Beware of card swapping at ATMs (Bank machines) and press Cancel should somebody try to distract you. Carry card details (without the pin code) on you. All ATMs display details of a 24 hour help line
Be cautious of scams where well dressed strangers offer to phone the bank on your behalf on their cell phone, when your card gets stuck. They invariably will ask you for your pin. Your pin is not required to cancel a card.
At the Beach:

Do not leave your belongings unattended and do not carry valuable items
Choose one of the popular beaches - not a deserted beach
Swim in areas supervised by lifeguards which have been marked safe
Areas where jet skis and boats are in use are not safe
Supervise your children at all times
In the car

Buy a map and plan your route in advance
Do not leave any items on the seat, place them in the boot
Remove the face of your radio when the car is unattended
Never enter informal settlements / slums
At night park in well lit or guarded areas
Keep your doors locked at all times
Never pick up strangers or hitchhikers
Wind your windows up
Should you observe suspicious persons at a red traffic light at night, it would be acceptable to proceed carefully, provided there are no other vehicles
Distances between towns may be considerable. Make sure that you do not run out of petrol
Carry cash for petrol in case credit cards are not accepted
Invest in a puncture repair aerosol can and a torch
Do not stop and rest on deserted roads
Do not stop at suspicious accident scenes and do not alight from your vehicle when someone bumps your car from behind under suspicious circumstances
Mountain Safety

Never walk or climb on your own
Stay on marked routes
Carry fluids (rehydration) and warm clothing (sudden weather changes)
Inform someone when you expect to be back
If available, carry a cell phone and emergency numbers.
Safety at Sea

Make sure that your boat is certified seaworthy
Carry the required safety equipment and approved life jackets
Carry a two way radio and / or cell phone, if available
Obtain advice from a safety officer who knows the specific local conditions
Obtain a weather report and be equipped and prepared for sudden weather changes
Inform someone where you launch and when you are expected back.
Discotheques and Bars

Current global trends indicate that "spiking" of drinks is on the increase. Do no accept opened drinks from strangers
You should:

carry a passport which is valid for at least six months beyond your expected return;
keep a photocopy of your passport's identification page with you;
travel with passports, tickets, and money separate in case of theft/loss;
keep valuables and passports safe and only carry enough money for anticipated expenses;
leave a copy of your itinerary and proof of citizenship with family and/or friends for emergencies;
carry notarized documentation signed by both parents permitting a child under 18 to travel alone, with an adult, or with one parent, in which case custody documentation may also be required;
drive defensively, as road conditions may be different; and
only visit unknown areas with official guidance and avoid isolated areas.

and here you can get some free safety tips of each country make use of it http://www.mysafetravel.com/landing.php choose your traveling country and get some free tips here.

Another one
If you are doing a business & pleasure trip, you can get a reversible black + brown belt. Suits all kinds of clothes!

hey great tips. Thanks for sharing. :)

Hi

this is a very useful thread. Here are some of my contributions.

Break up your cash into sections. I keep the main stash in a belt with an inner zipper. My wallet holds my daily expenses so when I open it up, there wont be a whole wad to attract attention.

Keep your valuables in a slingbag accessible only via the front. I have had friends who kept their compacts in their backpack, only to find that they have been unzipped and the camera pilfered.

Mark your check-in luggage with a bright neon tag (or colourful ribbon). Its easier to see and identify on the conveyor. Even then, keep your valuables with you. I have friends who had their compacts pilfered (notice a trend) from their check ins.

Dont wear flashy clothing and dont appear too touristy. Appearing cheap is better than looking like a rich target. Pick up a few local vocabulary- "hello", "thank you", "goodbye". "Help!"is also very useful.

Grab a set of the hotel cards. Stick them in your front pocket or wallet. If you are really lost (or drunk), at least the cab driver will know where to drop you off.

Invest in a set of walkie talkies. Very useful for short range comms and security. I use the motorolas - they are quite good.

Keep a sharp whistle easily accessible. Make it very visible too- those lumi red and yellows are good. Let people know that you can make a ruckus to attract attention easily. I zip tie one to my sling.

I do quite a bit of hiking so here's some I always tell my companions.

1. Pack a red/ yellow/ orange windbreaker. If you are lost, its easier to find you in one.

2. Always leave base camp with 24 hours of food and water, poncho & light. I was stranded in the jungle once when the river flooded. It was a regular day trip up the trails and I was caught unprepared. Sitting in the rain overnight with no food, poncho was really unpleasant. Luckily, the little stash of emergency whiskey helped (now that I never forget!)

3. Always pee down slope, not uphill.

4. Cotton does not dry in the jungle. The modern dri-fit nylon shirts do very well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!