general macro ratio for insects

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentmonkey

Jul 10, 2004
www.flickr.com
hi guys, never done macro shots for insects before and as titled, just curious to know what's the general magnification ratio for shooting the little buggers.

looking at a website that tells you how to calculate how many extension tubes you need to add if you want a certain magnification ratio..just want to see if it's possible for me to get the same results as a dedicated macro lens with the extension tube

not going to be very practical will it?

agentmonkey said:
hi guys, never done macro shots for insects before and as titled, just curious to know what's the general magnification ratio for shooting the little buggers.

looking at a website that tells you how to calculate how many extension tubes you need to add if you want a certain magnification ratio..just want to see if it's possible for me to get the same results as a dedicated macro lens with the extension tube

It's all up to you and also the main factor would be how big is that insect in mind??

If it's really small, 1:1 would still not be able to get it to fill the frame, rite?? So by then you might wish to look at 2:1. 3:1 or even more....

Conversely if it is bigger, then 1:2 or smaller might be enough to fill the frame.

Agree with Mike that it is all depends on how big the insect is.

Is you own a Canon 1Ds MkII, I suppose you do not need a very high mag ratio lens,... shoot now crop later? :)

thanks zac08...come to think of it..was a stupid question for me to ask... going to be needing like..6 25mm extensions if i use a 50mm lens...probably not much point in that

hey mmk..nope..using a nikon d70..

WHy do you need 6 x 25mm tubes? you intend to get 3x?

is 3X the normal ratio for shooting insects like spiders? i'm really not too sure... looking at the other threads as well that mentioned using dedicated lenses instead

agentmonkey said:
is 3X the normal ratio for shooting insects like spiders? i'm really not too sure... looking at the other threads as well that mentioned using dedicated lenses instead

theorically you can get 3x.. practically, your point of focus would be inside your lens.:think: :sweat:

ah..alright..that pretty much settles it then .... thanks CYRN :) no point for me to think about it anymore

If you really want very high magnification greater than 1:1, then consider the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro Photo.

agentmonkey said:
ah..alright..that pretty much settles it then .... thanks CYRN :) no point for me to think about it anymore

there are 3 options in shooting macros

1. get extension tubes ( I pair a couple of extension tubes with my 24-105 and 70-200 IS, thus getting IS for macro)

2. Get a close up filter (I got a canon 500D to pair with my 400mm)

3. Reverse lens (I just de-couple my lens and handhold it with front element to the cam's lens mount) You can try reversing a lens to another lens that's mounted to your cam using.

A point to note is that the focal distance is pretty much fixed if you use the above methods.

4. Get a dedicated macro lens.. there are plenty to choose from general 100mm macro too the dedicated macro MP-E65. These are expensive if you only want to try out.

CYRN said:
there are 3 options in shooting macros

1. get extension tubes ( I pair a couple of extension tubes with my 24-105 and 70-200 IS, thus getting IS for macro)

2. Get a close up filter (I got a canon 500D to pair with my 400mm)

3. Reverse lens (I just de-couple my lens and handhold it with front element to the cam's lens mount) You can try reversing a lens to another lens that's mounted to your cam using.

A point to note is that the focal distance is pretty much fixed if you use the above methods.

4. Get a dedicated macro lens.. there are plenty to choose from general 100mm macro too the dedicated macro MP-E65. These are expensive if you only want to try out.

thanks for the suggestions :) i already own a 25mm extension tube...i'll try out point 3 and see how it goes.

as for the MP-E65, isn't that for canon only? i'm using a nikon...seen alot of people mention the Tamron 90mm SP Macro. wondering whether that would be a good alternative. thanks for taking your time to reply man :)

agentmonkey said:
thanks for the suggestions :) i already own a 25mm extension tube...i'll try out point 3 and see how it goes.

as for the MP-E65, isn't that for canon only? i'm using a nikon...seen alot of people mention the Tamron 90mm SP Macro. wondering whether that would be a good alternative. thanks for taking your time to reply man :)

wah ... nikon... then get the 105VR Macro liao... ;p :thumbsup:

agentmonkey said:

There is no "general" ratio. The desirable aspect ratio R to fill the frame is given by the size of the object O you wish to photograph and the linear size of the film/sensor frame F: R=F/O. As frame sizes vary considerably, so will the necessary aspect ratio for the same object.

agentmonkey said:

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/ripolini/Close_up.htm

very good reference, all about close up, macro, and extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.