Gems (never like this before)

Status
Not open for further replies.

satpalravi

Oct 18, 2008
hello,
again my experiment in the portable studio with my baby point and shoot camera..Sony cybershot DSC W110.. i placed the lamp above these gems..
cant say about lighting..just wanted to take pic on color theme...

plz comment abt lighting, object i used for color theme..and many more which i m missing..

3098117892_dfc8aaab7b.jpg

3095214547_b7dc6b6ac3.jpg

Last edited:
wow nice pics! those are gems..? at first look it looks more like M&Ms

thx man..well these r really gems..haha

Last edited:
thx all..waiting for more c&c..

Sorry, whats a gem?

1st pic, almost half of the picture is out of focus. :)

You must be kidding big time.......
its obviously chocolate..

i intentionally did it.. to get the objects behind in focus..and to cover the frame..
:)

do u have any idea for improvement..:sticktong

My suggestions would be:

1. add more candies so that you don't see any of the white plate.

2. if not shooting from the top, go for an angle that will make them look rounder.

3. diffuse your light. put tracing paper or white translucent cloth on your lamp. this is to avoid very harsh highlights.

do u have any idea for improvement..:sticktong

Use a small aperture if your camera allows it, set it on a baby tripod to stablise for the slower shutter speed resulting from small aperture usage. ;)

Small aperture provide for more DOF, thus less OOF areas.

Agree with the white background a bit glaring. Try black background?

A better way of diffusing the light would be to use a lightbox.

You can make one easily with A4 printing paper. :)

I sort of agree... I think a shallow DOF can be good in this image, but having large OOF objects in front is generally not a good idea. In this case, they're darker than the rest of the frame too. There are exceptions, of course. There always are. But IMHO this is not one of them.

I sort of agree... I think a shallow DOF can be good in this image, but having large OOF objects in front is generally not a good idea. In this case, they're darker than the rest of the frame too. There are exceptions, of course. There always are. But IMHO this is not one of them.

I think DOF is ok. It just didn't work that, as another poster commented, that half of the pic is out of focus.

If shot from a different angle, you can get more gems in focus at the same DOF.

the DOF is personal preference... but one thing i feel u shld do is add more "Gems" to cover up all the white backing

thx all..i will surely keep these idea in mind...but wht about rating...how much marks will u all give this pic out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.