gelllllllll

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilicboy

Mar 7, 2004
Changi
anyone knows how to use silica gel? i jus bought a bottle and not sure whether how i should store the gel inside my camera bag (dry cabi jus broke down...so using silica gel..)
does the gel change colour when moist?

Put it together with your camera into an airtight container, and it'll absorb the moisture in the air. They're blue to start with, and turn pink when they've absorbed a lot of moisture

Gymrat76 said:
Put it together with your camera into an airtight container, and it'll absorb the moisture in the air. They're blue to start with, and turn pink when they've absorbed a lot of moisture

can leave it inside trekker bag?just put the whole bottle of gel in or is there a way to put it into small packets and leave it in bags?

Once it turn pink, what i did was to pour the silica gel to a metal pot, stir till they turn blue again. Let it cool down then pour it back to the container. But remember silica gel is poisonous. DO NOT mix your metal pot with other cooking utensils. ;)

Hmm...you can try puting them in the coffee or filter bag...It's just an idea. Have not tried it. ;)

One traditional method is to buy woman's stocking and put the silica gel inside, then tighten the stocking, then you can put it anywhere you like, and also can see when the colour changes.

if the gel turns pink, means it is moist..is it possible to put into dry cabi or use a dehumidifier to remove moisture?

to reuse, toast it in a microwave oven after it turn pink.

w.s said:
to reuse, toast it in a microwave oven after it turn pink.

Hey! someone just say silicon gel is posionous... :eek: will the fume contaminate the microwave?

Almost forget the silicon gel can be reused...keke was thinking of dispose mine and do a refill...heng ah!

rainman said:
Hey! someone just say silicon gel is posionous... :eek: will the fume contaminate the microwave?

Almost forget the silicon gel can be reused...keke was thinking of dispose mine and do a refill...heng ah!

use someone else's microwave oven :devil:

this is wht i heard... dun intend to use it anyway :)

for me, i'll use small transparent plastic bag for silica gel, use staple to poke few small holes. then put this bag of silica gel together with camera+lenses into another bigger plastic bag & tie with rubberband. keep these in camera bag.

rainman said:

FYI, silica gel itself is not poisonous, but the indicative substance (a cobalt compound) that turns blue to pink and vice versa has been identified as a potential carcinogen (i.e. may cause cancer).

Gymrat76 said:
FYI, silica gel itself is not poisonous, but the indicative substance (a cobalt compound) that turns blue to pink and vice versa has been identified as a potential carcinogen (i.e. may cause cancer).

Haha... bad memories of my chem tutor asking me the colours of the ions are flooding back... Noooooo....

:bsmilie:

get those mesh cloth ....those tt they use to tie up scented wood or something...throw into bag....helps very minimally though....

Now I have a question...How u guys recycle ur silicon gel?
Still skeptical in putting some inedible thing into my microwave....keke

pardon me I always believe in "An chuan di yi" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.