Geez Cathay! ... what's the "in" film scanner now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

st11x

Jan 12, 2004
Canberra,Australia
After procrastinating to buy one for so long, I have now lost touch the scanners. What are the models on the market that are worth a look?

Recently, I had a chance to visit Singapore for a while. I went to Cathay to ask about the Minolta Scan Dual III. I knew they were selling pretty cheap (compared to where I am now) the last time I check using their eQuote. However, I was baffled by the attitude of the sales lady. She told me there isn't such a scanner, and maintain a "bor chup" attitude. Perhaps it was the way I dressed that day, or just that she had a bad day.

I was quoted the Scan Dual IV at about $750. I didn't buy it as I haven't done any research, and I was wanting to buy the III. I can buy it for AUD$599.00, so that's about the same price.

thanks
Matthew

Considered a CoolScan 9000? Heehee... :devil: Nah they don't look at people's dressings, more than often I'm there in t-shirt and bermudas + sandals :)

I knew I should have turned up clean shaven and hair creamed up ;p

What's the going price for the Coolscan? Nikons are usually way beyond the 1 grand horizon.

The Coolscan 9000 is about $5K? Heehee...

I dunno about you guys, but I received a less than warm attitude when I turned up at Cathay a month or so back to buy my b+w green filter.
And it was a woman who attended to me. (I wonder if it's the same woman, st11x)
She was acting as if I wasn't serious about buying and only became friendlier after I told her I wanted to buy a green filter. :rolleyes:

Looks like I have to turn up with one of the regulars (eg: Darren, UL, Mr Goi) to get a proper customer service from them.

$5K! Ouch! That's a long way off the horizon mate. The Scan Elite 5400 was over A$2.2K here when it was first released, but now it has dropped to A$1.2K at one place I've found. Maybe I'll go for that. I think Cathay is selling it as S$1.8K. This is the first time an electronic item is cheaper here!

I can recall only 2 ladies working at Cathy @ PP. One of them has a smaller frame, the other has a wider face too. Both wear spectacles. The one I encountered was the smaller one.

We'll I guess either you get an old timer, or you lug a small travel luggage (ala a tourist). I think that will do the trick ;)

Once I brought in an eQuote for my Minolta 800si. Just out of curiosity, I asked the salesman about the price before I showed the eQuote. It was a difference of about $50. It took them quite a long time to honour the eQuote, albeit grudging so.

scan dual 3... about $550.. i got mine for $570 a few months back...

personally i don't like cathay service.. esp the females... aiy. some of the males don't provide very good service either.

oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.