Gear for the aspiring pros

i am probably not qualified to comment as I am not a pro or even a good shooter
With the same logic you would not be qualified to judge a book (because you are not a writer), or any food (because you are not a cook). Everyone is entitled to have an opinion. With a handful of reasoning it's even better :)

In term of software, as long as it helps you with your work, adobe or not is a personal choice.

If you can shoot right out of camera there is very little need for editing software. This is a good skills to have. In the beginning of the career, you will have too many time to kill, so learn as much as possible. Adobe gives you 30 days to use the software free of charge, use it to your benefit. If you need the best but can't afford one, just reformat the comp every time you need to use the adobe again. A hassle I know, but in the beginning, your time and speed isn't as crucial.

This page is great for people who started from 0 and don't have a lot of budget to burn.

Different advise for people who have moved to establishing their business and for people who is going to build their brand further.

Regards,

Hart

Open source is a great way to save $ without fear of copyright, copyleft. Avoid pirated, other than for ethical issues, you never know what else other hidden payload is in your software "cheap" install...

Last edited:
I once had the 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8's set, and 20 f/2.8, 50 f/1.4, and the 105 Macro primes...... these days I shoot fast primes and move with my feet ( see my signature below ).

I once had the 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8's set, and 20 f/2.8, 50 f/1.4, and the 105 Macro primes...... these days I shoot fast primes and move with my feet ( see my signature below ).
I don't have that much pro gears as seen in your signature, all along I don't list any gears in my signature.... cause I believe my clients/customers are more interested to see what can I produce, instead what I have.

tho I own very little pro gears, but I do shoot for money with whatever I have, rent it if I don't have.

and most pros will do the same like me.

we are sharing this ideal to aspiring pros, that is the purpose of this thread. :)

wow... impressive collection of expensive gear...

An unnecessary luxury for people who want to start making money. Different case if you are a big name out there that justify all these expenditure.

Hart

I think its very critical for someone new to identify the genre of photography he/she wants to pursue and start considering what's needed. Even a generalist will have specific needs. You probably won't be able to afford everything in the beginning but its good to set a target and work towards it while trying to figure how to work around the constraints for the time being.

Rental is a good resource to tab on. 10 years ago, I knew nuts about tilt/sift lenses. I knew it was useful for what I do but I just didn't know how they work and they were really expensive. So I rented one (a well used one) to try it out. That was my first brush with "lenses with knobs". It was only after years later that I decided I was getting enough work to justify to buy one.

agree with Kit, I bought my own medium and large format cameras many years ago, but it does not really justify the spending.
today I don't have T/S lens and ultra wide angle lens as well, spending 5k and use less then 12 time is not wise at all, so just rent it when I need it.

Here's Zack Arias in a webinar, talking about “If I had to start my photo business today”, from the business perspective. Sounds like very practical stuff, thought might be suitable for this thread.

[video=vimeo;58890112]http://vimeo.com/58890112[/video]

I am sure many hobbyists and the better doing pros will have more... but listing or flaunting them on forums would just be lowering one to the level of gear heads.

There are times to zoom with feet there are times to zoom with lens. Keeping to only one method is only limiting oneself's potential. A good photographer, both a pro or a hobbyist, makes the best out of a situation with the tools he have. It can be primes or zooms, whichever works for him.

Great responses and participation from people, thanx a lot :)

thanks for sharing....

Wow, Zack is so spot on, I have 18,000 over posts, maybe I should cut down more here and get out to meet more people......

btw, the One hour very well spent.

A bit of sage advice from an old pro....

It's not what you have that counts but how well you use it. In otherwords, know your gear inside out and know what it's limitations are and also be highly creative. Any competent pro can produce good images out of the camera that require little to no editing. Reliance on editing software is merely demonstrating laziness and a lack of commitment to learning how to take great images.

For aspiring pros keep your gear simple and well maintained. Do not obsess over keeping the finish of your gear pristine, but do keep it serviceable. I've DSLR bodies here with bits of leather and grips that are peeling off from use yet the mechanical and electronics is as good as the day the camera was purchased, it's all about priorities.

Being able to perform under pressure is something that no one has mentioned. Drill yourself in snap decision making and fast shooting without wasting frames in needless duplication. Work on your exposure until you can just glance at a scene and set the camera up to within 1/2 stop of the prevailing conditions. Practice practice and more practice.

Finally, learn to become your own harshest critic. Be brutally hard on your own work and pick every single error. Don't hide behind the artsy fartsy BS of "I did that intentionally" when you didn't. Look, learn and be humble enough to realise you are at the bottom of the ladder.

Good luck!

I am sure many hobbyists and the better doing pros will have more... but listing or flaunting them on forums would just be lowering one to the level of gear heads.

There are times to zoom with feet there are times to zoom with lens. Keeping to only one method is only limiting oneself's potential. A good photographer, both a pro or a hobbyist, makes the best out of a situation with the tools he have. It can be primes or zooms, whichever works for him.

Great responses and participation from people, thanx a lot :)

wow... impressive collection of expensive gear...

An unnecessary luxury for people who want to start making money. Different case if you are a big name out there that justify all these expenditure.

Hart

I don't have that much pro gears as seen in your signature, all along I don't list any gears in my signature.... cause I believe my clients/customers are more interested to see what can I produce, instead what I have.

tho I own very little pro gears, but I do shoot for money with whatever I have, rent it if I don't have.

and most pros will do the same like me.

we are sharing this ideal to aspiring pros, that is the purpose of this thread. :)

“ Cameras don’t take great pictures, people do. ”

It’s true. No amount of gear will ever replace a patient and considered approach.

So, although great gear / pro equipment exists, please don’t consider it a short-cut to compelling photographs.

Practice, perseverance and patience will bring you greater rewards than new lenses.

For me they are all just another creative tool.

Last edited:
for PROs... what type of bag do u usually bring when going for an event shoot?

Any bag that is sturdy and will hold the gear I need to bring.

unless u have a car
1 big bag + a belt with few pouches will work BEST

if u don have a car, u will end up with few bags
lol

Any bag that is sturdy and will hold the gear I need to bring.

Also, I tend to use bag that allows the weight to be distributed correctly so I don't hurt my back while photography. Longer event and events that require me to bring more gear, I tend to use the rolling bag.

I seldom use shoulder bag because it is painful for long term usage. I tend to have those that also give me the waist straps.

I normally don't shoot events per se, but my regular day bag is a Lowepro magnum that's ancient and no longer in production. It holds 2 D series pro Nikon bodies, an 80-200 or 70-200/2.8 as the case may be, 17~35/2.8, 28-70/2.8, 10.5/2.8 lenses plus a 12-24/2.8 or f4 as required, also a 50/1.4 and a 35/1.4, a couple of flashes, leads, filter kit (Lee 100mm) with half a dozen filters and a couple of other lenses as well as spare batteries lens caps and so on. It bulges a bit though! if I need super teles I'll either use a backpack or several rollers as the case may be.

Last edited:

I don't shoot events nowadays, but I used to bring a bag what can carry two pro bodies, 17-55, 24-70 f2.8 lens, 70-200 f2.8, two flash, battery pack, plenty backup batteries.

I prefer to put my bag away, use a small sling case storing batteries and memory cards, filters, and a lens pouch to bring 70-200 along with me during the shoot.

the camera bag is just for transporting my gears I need, so any bags that can do the job well is good.