Gary Fong Lightsphere with no ceiling??

Status
Not open for further replies.

btym3011

Sep 15, 2008
hi guys,
can anyone who used the Gary Fong Lightsphere before comment on its performance??

1) in the case where there is no ceiling to bounce the light off, does the lightsphere actually make the lightsource that much bigger to soften the shadows?

2) whats the recycle time like on iso 400, f/5.6 in a standard function setting where the subjects are max 4-5m away from camera? can i fire off 4-5 shots in quick succession on the 430exii with fully charged batteries??

3) how does it compare with the stofen in terms of shooting in portrait (not landscape) where the flash unit is to the side of the lens? i ask this question cause i get very harsh shadows from the stofen when used like this. this is off topic but can anyone provide a solution to this problem faced with the stofen, other than moving the subject away from the wall..

bought it, used it, sold it.

Never considered. The sto-fen is a fine utility.... keyword is bounce.

1) in the case where there is no ceiling to bounce the light off, does the lightsphere actually make the lightsource that much bigger to soften the shadows?
In indoor, I guess it will help to diffuse somewhat.... as the light (or some) will bounce to the walls on the sides. Outdoors, it's almost equivalent to shooting direct with -1 or -2 EV.

2) whats the recycle time like on iso 400, f/5.6 in a standard function setting where the subjects are max 4-5m away from camera? can i fire off 4-5 shots in quick succession on the 430exii with fully charged batteries??
The power is indicated as 1/1, 1/2.... 1/64. At 1/8, IIRC, I have no problems shooting about 3-4 frames burst on the 430EXII on freshly charged batts.

3) how does it compare with the stofen in terms of shooting in portrait (not landscape) where the flash unit is to the side of the lens? i ask this question cause i get very harsh shadows from the stofen when used like this. this is off topic but can anyone provide a solution to this problem faced with the stofen, other than moving the subject away from the wall..
Just bounce, even if no ceiling, try the wall on your left or right. Or... balance with the ambient lighting, do not underexpose the ambient too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.