Garlic

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlim

Oct 28, 2005
NEL
hi guys.
any idea how to prepare garlic like when you go eat steam garlic with bamboo clams/prawns those kind of garlic?
sweet and not over powering
or those kind fried inside spaghetti aglio olio,
garlic sweet, not brown not overpowering

any special preperation needed?

Not really. The 'trick' lies in choosing the correct type of garlic (young and fresh - personally, I prefer the 'Red' garlic which is a lot more fragrant without being too pungent), and knowing that garlic caramalises when it is sauteed slowly over very low heat. I notice you used the word 'sweet' several times. Might be a good idea to sautee it with yellow onions so that the natural sweetness of the oinions being cooked would influence the garlic.

The type tossed in an aglio olio sauce is preferably the more pungent, stronger tasting type, if you go by authentic Italian taste.

Hope this helps.

CHEERS and BON APPETITE!

fd.jpg

heat up some oil (peanut cooking oil), 1 tablespoon of chop garlic, fried over low heat till fragrant but not brown, (about 2 mins) add 1 soap bowl of chicken stock a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for another 5 mins. Pour over your steam half-shell scallops, or prawns. Enjoy!

I generally use a garlic crusher and let it drip into the food I am cooking.

I used to swallow 1 clove of garlic a day as it is good for the blood, but, it seems that it is not a good idea if you have high blood pressure.

Too much garlic can give you trouble. As I have high blood pressure, it gave me a migrain (or so I believe) well that is what I put it down too :dunno:

Just love the taste in food though :thumbsup:

Sauté the chopped garlic in olive oil with medium to low heat (for aglio olio). You can add some salt while sautéing. I prefer to use older fresh garlic. Although it is more pungent when raw, it gives better taste. Just make sure that the garlic is cooked until translucent and a little caramelised. It will lose it's pungent smell. (Personally, I prefer it to be a bit raw and pungent though.) It also goes well with herbs like basil and oregano. You may also want to try the mixed Italian herbs too. You can try the dried herbs off the shelf in supermarkets.

I don't really like the pre-chopped garlic. I find that the frangrance not comparable to fresh garlic.

BC

oo..nooo!! no garlic for me...

oh well i guess i'm wierd.

i dont eat lots of funny stuff like garlic, onions, ginger, funny veges i.e cauliflower, artichokes etc

when it comes to meats i only eat selected white meats, no shell fish, no abalone, no jelly fish.. no sea cucumbers... nothing along on that line :bsmilie:

PB, you need to get a physicist cum chef with a body like Carmen Elecktra to tie you down, sit on top of you and introduce you to gastronomic pleasures like you've never know before. LOL! OK, just kidding.

Very often, the tactile experience of food is influenced by environmental and cultural elements, besides background percepts and precepts ... sooo, if you pair food with elements that appeal to you on different levels, you might actually discover another dimension to the dark arts of culinary pleasures!

Sean, it's true that if you skin and finely slice or chop up garlic and allow it to store for some time in the fridge, it looses a lot of it's pungency. If you're in a hurry, steeping halved or sliced garlic in hot water with salt would also extract a lot of it's natural juices, decreasing it's potency, and therefore, smell and taste. Hope this helps.

PB, you need to get a physicist cum chef with a body like Carmen Elecktra to tie you down, sit on top of you and introduce you to gastronomic pleasures like you've never know before. LOL! OK, just kidding.

Very often, the tactile experience of food is influenced by environmental and cultural elements, besides background percepts and precepts ... sooo, if you pair food with elements that appeal to you on different levels, you might actually discover another dimension to the dark arts of culinary pleasures!

Sean, it's true that if you skin and finely slice or chop up garlic and allow it to store for some time in the fridge, it looses a lot of it's pungency. If you're in a hurry, steeping halved or sliced garlic in hot water with salt would also extract a lot of it's natural juices, decreasing it's potency, and therefore, smell and taste. Hope this helps.

oh ok...THANKS! .. haha i was eating some spaghetti aglio olio the other day. i tell you man the garlic was SUPERB...so im swearing to try to master it by this year....

fd.jpg

heat up some oil (peanut cooking oil), 1 tablespoon of chop garlic, fried over low heat till fragrant but not brown, (about 2 mins) add 1 soap bowl of chicken stock a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for another 5 mins. Pour over your steam half-shell scallops, or prawns. Enjoy!

bro, thanks! wow you actually went the extra mile to even take a picture..you rock..im going downstairs to try this out now

depends on how much you want dracula and people to stay away from you :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.