gardener....

Status
Not open for further replies.

andre

Taken with Minolta Dynax 7 and 200mm F/2.8 Minolta G Lens..

candid.jpg

Comment are most welcome....

-Andre

U caught him in action but the angle was not right. Noticed that he has two cigarettes, one his own, the other is a leave from the plant behind him ;).

Very nice layering. Good use of DOF.

Nice one. I like it.

Framed nicely by the leaves below, the man is looking into the frame. It's a moment of rest, yet he is still at work, sharpening his shears. The steps leading up to where he is sitting also add to the picture, providing a "base". The subject is nicely isolated by the depth of field.

The only niggling thing would be that the picture is a bit oversharpened, as evidenced from the "roughness" of the blurred background (or is it that the Minolta has lousy bokeh?). I would try sharpening with a larger radius, but a smaller amount. Or do selective sharpening with a mask. I hate it when a nice picture has the subject slightly out of focus. Been there, done that.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Nice one. I like it.

Framed nicely by the leaves below, the man is looking into the frame. It's a moment of rest, yet he is still at work, sharpening his shears. The steps leading up to where he is sitting also add to the picture, providing a "base". The subject is nicely isolated by the depth of field.

The only niggling thing would be that the picture is a bit oversharpened, as evidenced from the "roughness" of the blurred background (or is it that the Minolta has lousy bokeh?). I would try sharpening with a larger radius, but a smaller amount. Or do selective sharpening with a mask. I hate it when a nice picture has the subject slightly out of focus. Been there, done that.

to create the effect with the cam , shld i use spot metering? and how do i know what is the correct aperture size to set with regard to the distance ??
can't seem to get that DOF effect even though i tried quite a few times , shld i use manual focus??

btw how do i that with PS ?
unsharpen the whole pic and then sharpen the places which i want ?

thanks...:)

Originally posted by superhero

to create the effect with the cam , shld i use spot metering? and how do i know what is the correct aperture size to set with regard to the distance ??
can't seem to get that DOF effect even though i tried quite a few times , shld i use manual focus??

btw how do i that with PS ?
unsharpen the whole pic and then sharpen the places which i want ?

thanks...:)

It is generally more difficult to create a nice bokeh (Japs for "blur")with a DC, as the DC has a much shorter focal length and hence smaller aperture size and deeper DOF. Generally 3 things that affect DOF are: aperture size, subject/background distance, and focal length. DOF reduces when: wider aperture size (small f-stop value), close subject distance, long focal length (e.g. 200mm).

If you are using a DC, try the following:
1. find a subject which has far away background.
2. zoom out on your dc to the max tele end.
3. set aperture size to widest.
4. get as close to it as possible such that you can still focus.
5. take the pic. You should be able to see the background is blurred out.

Nice one. I like it.

do u mean i need to use smaller aperture to get the "larger amount but smaller amount" ?

thanks for all comment.

-Andre

I was assuming that you had used Photoshop Unsharp Mask to sharpen the picture.

For this filter, there are 3 settings - Amount, Radius and Threshhold. I was suggesting that you increase the Radius and decrease the Amount.

If you did not use Photoshop, then please ignore my comments. :embrass:

I was assuming that you had used Photoshop Unsharp Mask to sharpen the picture.

For this filter, there are 3 settings - Amount, Radius and Threshhold. I was suggesting that you increase the Radius and decrease the Amount.

If you did not use Photoshop, then please ignore my comments. :embrass:

ooo.....hehehe....sorry...this pic is not touch by photoshop...i only crop some part and add the frame..

anyway...thx for comment and tips in photoshop...

-andre

Status
Not open for further replies.