Garden of bay Flower Dome in HDR+B&W

andysim65

Apr 8, 2010
7543974056_fa864f29e0_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
a. is the hdr look ok?
b.is the Flyer look out of place in the pic?
c.is it right to include part of the ground?
d.by chopping off part of the tree look ok?

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
by posting this picture i hope to learn more from the expert.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
Taken around 8.45pm. Using Nikon D3 16-35mm lens with tripod and remote
iso800 20mm f/8 3sec, convert to HDR + B&W.

4. What the critque seeker personally thinks of the picture?
I like the contrast of the dome , and the black and white look,but i think there a lot room to improve so i hope the expert can teach me a few things.

Thanks everyone who comments in advance. Appreciate.

TBH it doesn't work for me.
1. Doesn't look HDR.
2. The tree on the right is definitely out-of-place.

What are you trying to convey?

TBH it doesn't work for me.
1. Doesn't look HDR.
2. The tree on the right is definitely out-of-place.

What are you trying to convey?

is a HDR for sure.
the tree also bother me , but can't help they plant right at the edge of the dome.
i saw the Dome, i like the contrast of the it , so i took a pic , just to share it with everyone , also hope to have comment and learn a few things from the expert.

ur shot is excellent but maybe u can look on the composition side...
but HDR + BW looks ok for me...

I'm by no mean an expert, so this is just my humble n00b opinion.

a. is the hdr look ok?
Yes, I like it, it's quite interesting. The dome, the highlights on the blades of grass, even the tree. It's unfortunate that the tree is where it is.

b. is the Flyer look out of place in the pic?
I would have picked either the Flyer, the tree or neither, but I can see how this would make it impossible to maintain the balance of the dome.

c. is it right to include part of the ground?
I would have cropped it out and at the same time would have cropped a bit of the sky out as well. Get a more panoramish composition.

d. by chopping off part of the tree look ok?
For me it would have been brilliant if there was no Flyer, but the tree fully included, and the dome still balanced through the center. But, like I said before, I can see your problem of how this would not have been possible.

ur shot is excellent but maybe u can look on the composition side...
but HDR + BW looks ok for me...

for composition i am still learning(only my 2nd landscape shoot),know all the rule, but put it on actual practice, still long way to go, that why i take , i post , get critic and learn from the expert.

I'm by no mean an expert, so this is just my humble n00b opinion.

a. is the hdr look ok?
Yes, I like it, it's quite interesting. The dome, the highlights on the blades of grass, even the tree. It's unfortunate that the tree is where it is.

b. is the Flyer look out of place in the pic?

c. is it right to include part of the ground?
I would have cropped it out and at the same time would have cropped a bit of the sky out as well. Get a more panoramish composition.

d. by chopping off part of the tree look ok?
For me it would have been brilliant if there was no Flyer, but the tree fully included, and the dome still balanced through the center. But, like I said before, I can see your problem of how this would not have been possible.

for point a u just point out what i am trying to show
for point b, u really understand the situation.
for point c, i did crop a way the sky and the ground too , but leave a bit of the ground, hoping to show the different between the ground, the slope, the dome and the sky
i will try too crop a bit more tonight.

Last edited:
the tree also bother me , but can't help they plant right at the edge of the dome.

then you just have to work around it - move around, in, out etc. find another angle that works.

For me, the HDR works but not the framing.
Firstly, it's 50% sky 50% foreground..but because it's HDR and B+W there's not foreground detail nor sky detail.
The main highlight is the dome itself which works very well in HDR. Personally, i would've zoomed in more and not cared about the full dome or Flyer in the picture. I would've wanted the dome to stand out more with the HDR effect. I believe this photo was already cropped to being with (looking at the aspect ration)...maybe can crop even more..

your HDR should be overcooked so when you convert to B/W... I see more blacks then tonality.

perhaps skip the HDR , just do a B/W conversion... and work on your composition.

then you just have to work around it - move around, in, out etc. find another angle that works.

u are correct i should have move around a bit . Point note thanks

For me, the HDR works but not the framing.
Firstly, it's 50% sky 50% foreground..but because it's HDR and B+W there's not foreground detail nor sky detail.
The main highlight is the dome itself which works very well in HDR. Personally, i would've zoomed in more and not cared about the full dome or Flyer in the picture. I would've wanted the dome to stand out more with the HDR effect. I believe this photo was already cropped to being with (looking at the aspect ration)...maybe can crop even more..

the framing u refer is 1/3 rule, which i did not follow , yours suggestion of zoom in is great idea , i think crop more will be another good suggestion.

your HDR should be overcooked so when you convert to B/W... I see more blacks then tonality.

perhaps skip the HDR , just do a B/W conversion... and work on your composition.

i try the overcooked version don't really like it , but i did try the B/W conversion , still prefer this one with mild HDR

so many advice comment & critique i definitely have learn a few more skill.

i SINCERELY thanks everyone for their critique and comments.

i try the overcooked version don't really like it , but i did try the B/W conversion , still prefer this one with mild HDR

even though mild HDR it still looks overcook to me. especially the sky.. i dun see any whites? unless you shot this in the evening then this explains.

if u look at the overall photo, there is only 10-20% white, which is not very even.

u can join this flickr group for more inspiration:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/bwhdr/

but dun neglect on your composition also.

even though mild HDR it still looks overcook to me. especially the sky.. i dun see any whites? unless you shot this in the evening then this explains.

if u look at the overall photo, there is only 10-20% white, which is not very even.

u can join this flickr group for more inspiration:
Flickr: B&W HDR

but dun neglect on your composition also.

The picture was taken at around 8.45pm so the sky is very dark
thank for the flickr recommendation, i will not neglect the composition in the future.

The picture was taken at around 8.45pm so the sky is very dark
thank for the flickr recommendation, i will not neglect the composition in the future.

dat explains the pitch dark sky.

if u want to do HDR shot, better do it in the day when lighting makes the photo look more contrasty. or at least during blue hour.

dat explains the pitch dark sky.

if u want to do HDR shot, better do it in the day when lighting makes the photo look more contrasty. or at least during blue hour.

u are absolutely right with the timing for taking HDR picture, i did have picture i took from the garden earlier that i process in HDR with the timing u mention,
but is this picture that i have a few question that i wanted understand , that why i post this picture for C&C.

i also feel that HDR didn't work out quite well for me. the sky is too dark? i think blue hour would definitely be better. and that you can try using RGB instead of BW

i also feel that HDR didn't work out quite well for me. the sky is too dark? i think blue hour would definitely be better. and that you can try using RGB instead of BW

definately blue hour is great for hdr, but on that day during blue hour i am taking photo of Supertree have not reach the dome yet, is the first time i went to Garden by the bay,so need to familiar the place first.
if got the chance i will take dome at blue hour.