Garden festival marred by shutterbugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kandinsky

Staff member
Apr 26, 2008
Aug 5, 2008

THE Singapore Garden Festival 2008 at Suntec Singapore was a breathtakingly beautiful event. I am so glad I made time on a weekday to go and see it. Everything about the event - the exhibits, the staff at the information counter, the ticketing staff (who made it a point to ensure people got discounts) and the arrangements were top class.

The core of the festival - the exhibits, be they in the Landscape Design category or Fantasy Garden category - were sights to behold. Hats off to the judges for executing the difficult task of awarding gold, silver and bronze to entries. Competition was tough.

So what marred the intensely beautiful experience? The customers. I mean, as an appreciator of visual beauty, you want to stand before the exhibit, gaze at it, admire it, let it sink in, learn from it and so many internal experiencing involved.

But you are jarringly disturbed by shutterbugs and their posers. I wonder if I saw anyone who had come to enjoy the visual treat that the horticultural exhibition really was. More like, people were the exhibits. There was incessant posing , some even (courteously) shooing genuine gazers to move aside so they could get their pictures taken, with the exhibits in the background.

I confess I too took my camera along, and got some great shots without inconveniencing anyone. But I needn't have worried. Very few were really interested in a serious first-hand experience of the exquisitely beautiful work before their eyes. More interested in capturing them on film and experiencing it on celluloid. What a state we have come to.

I wonder if such exhibitions can be organised with shutter-free options, for example, assigning some viewing days as 'no-camera' days.

Prema Jayakumar (Mrs)

http://www.straitstimes.com/ST+Forum/Online+Story/STIStory_264445.html

it's a public event, how else would u expect? Just like when snappers tends to get in your way @ fashion shows, etc. Annoying as hell but c'est la vie, shrug it off unless u think you're a VIP.

tell her to suck thumb. the bumpkin behavoirs were much worse so many people go up and touch touch the plants. :thumbsd:

Singapore is like tat... just get used to it.;)

Read also this week's 8days magazine...

Aug 5, 2008

THE Singapore Garden Festival 2008 at Suntec Singapore was a breathtakingly beautiful event. I am so glad I made time on a weekday to go and see it. Everything about the event - the exhibits, the staff at the information counter, the ticketing staff (who made it a point to ensure people got discounts) and the arrangements were top class.

The core of the festival - the exhibits, be they in the Landscape Design category or Fantasy Garden category - were sights to behold. Hats off to the judges for executing the difficult task of awarding gold, silver and bronze to entries. Competition was tough.

So what marred the intensely beautiful experience? The customers. I mean, as an appreciator of visual beauty, you want to stand before the exhibit, gaze at it, admire it, let it sink in, learn from it and so many internal experiencing involved.

But you are jarringly disturbed by shutterbugs and their posers. I wonder if I saw anyone who had come to enjoy the visual treat that the horticultural exhibition really was. More like, people were the exhibits. There was incessant posing , some even (courteously) shooing genuine gazers to move aside so they could get their pictures taken, with the exhibits in the background.

I confess I too took my camera along, and got some great shots without inconveniencing anyone. But I needn't have worried. Very few were really interested in a serious first-hand experience of the exquisitely beautiful work before their eyes. More interested in capturing them on film and experiencing it on celluloid. What a state we have come to.

I wonder if such exhibitions can be organised with shutter-free options, for example, assigning some viewing days as 'no-camera' days.

Prema Jayakumar (Mrs)

http://www.straitstimes.com/ST+Forum/Online+Story/STIStory_264445.html

Actually I think this is a pretty good idea.
Do note I am a hobbyist photographer as well and I would be one of those taking photos, but it would be a good idea to have one or two shutter-free days or perhaps shutter-free timeslot. It wouldn't hurt anyone... you can go on a non-shutter-free day to shoot and those who don't want to see people posing or who get irked by hearing too many clicks can go on a shutter-free day. It is the best of both worlds for everyone. But of course, you have to make this clearly known on your flyers/ marketing material so that shooters don't get disappointed if they go on a shutter-free day.

Exhibition hall is her daddy's one is it?

Actually this sentiment is not the first time it came out in the papers.
Last week, I read in Today, a similar sentiment regarding people taking photos at the Night Festival held outside the National Museum.

Actually I think this is a pretty good idea.
Do note I am a hobbyist photographer as well and I would be one of those taking photos, but it would be a good idea to have one or two shutter-free days or perhaps shutter-free timeslot. It wouldn't hurt anyone... you can go on a non-shutter-free day to shoot and those who don't want to see people posing or who get irked by hearing too many clicks can go on a shutter-free day. It is the best of both worlds for everyone. But of course, you have to make this clearly known on your flyers/ marketing material so that shooters don't get disappointed if they go on a shutter-free day.

Last week, I read in Today, a similar sentiment regarding people taking photos at the Night Festival held outside the National Museum.

post leh. :p

;)

photographers who have no basic courtesy for others are really pathetic.

totally agree.

wait till you see those non official photographer at the NDP who give no damn about the watching spectators just to get their shot

Nowadays, cams everyone also hav. Be it phone-cam, P&S or DSLR... how to stop people from taking pics?

Mrs PJ also admitted she also take pics loh. If got shutter-free day, then she might complain why her cam no shutter also cannot use meh. :sweat:

But I admit some shutterbugs simply got no manners.

I don't like photogs shoving the cameras in the face, but I wouldn't advocate stopping them. Just too few liberties already in this country. ;)

shutter-free days? its a lose of revenue for organisers why would they do that? then the other camp (photographers) would cry foul. such practices may be dimmed as discrimination. its not even a security issue. & unless paying visitors trust leaving their compact cam, phone cam or big mama cams as the entrance, organisers will let patrons to such venues snap all they want.

organisers will not bear any responsibilities for any loss or damages to equipements. neither i would want to take such a risk for any of my photographic equipement. so while the call for such a day would be nice for some to view the exhibits without much annoyance, those involved would never want to lose revenue for the sake of a select group of individuals. unless the solutions do not burden the organisers.

there has been many threads started by upset individuals over issues of 'personal space'. but as population increases, i highly doubt most will get any respite. any1 feels the same too? :sweat:

my 2cents. :)

shutter-free days? its a lose of revenue for organisers why would they do that? then the other camp (photographers) would cry foul. such practices may be dimmed as discrimination. its not even a security issue. & unless paying visitors trust leaving their compact cam, phone cam or big mama cams as the entrance, organisers will let patrons to such venues snap all they want.

organisers will not bear any responsibilities for any loss or damages to equipements. neither i would want to take such a risk for any of my photographic equipement. so while the call for such a day would be nice for some to view the exhibits without much annoyance, those involved would never want to lose revenue for the sake of a select group of individuals. unless the solutions do not burden the organisers.

there has been many threads started by upset individuals over issues of 'personal space'. but as population increases, i highly doubt most will get any respite. any1 feels the same too? :sweat:

my 2cents. :)

Actually...come to think of it..there might already be "almost" shutter-free day... Opening day....onli VVIPs and official photogs no one to mar your experiences...onli problem is how to get yourself invited on such occasion.:cool:

Actually...come to think of it..there might already be "almost" shutter-free day... Opening day....onli VVIPs and official photogs no one to mar your experiences...onli problem is how to get yourself invited on such occasion.:cool:

that not really a solution liao, there will be hordes of VVIPs jostling for prime spots during NDP where there's almost nobody, like rooftop access.

not a realistic solution for the masses le mah... :(

not a realistic solution for the masses le mah... :(

That's the idea;)

Separate yourself from the masses:cool:

I mean if Mrs PJ dun wan photogs marring her experience, then she onli need to be invited in the VVIP group. Even in NDP, which photog stands and blocks the president's view in the name of taking pics. If anyone want's VIP treatment...be the VIP.

That's the idea;)

Separate yourself from the masses:cool:

I mean if Mrs PJ dun wan photogs marring her experience, then she onli need to be invited in the VVIP group. Even in NDP, which photog stands and blocks the president's view in the name of taking pics. If anyone want's VIP treatment...be the VIP.

agree... :thumbsup:

however, i think a balance is needed too.. imagine all visitors go in with DSLRs.. wat will happen

Status
Not open for further replies.