Garden by the Bay

chaoticbusher

Oct 16, 2007
Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

1. in what critique to be sought?

Composition, framing, contrast, post-processing, techniques

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

skyline view of the city during the twilight (dusk), the night scene of the city with its light.

3. under what circumstances is the picture taken?

it was taken during the twilight (dusk), around 7.30pm.
it was being taken due to the detail of the clouds and the orange sun setting behind giving the picture a warm feeling and the color of orange being cast upon the buildings at the horizon.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?

i personally like this picture because of the vibrant in the picture and the orange, warm feeling from the sun setting in the horizon behind the city.
i personally feel that the contrast of this picture can be improved.

I'm not a pro, but I offer my opinion
- First thing, your White balance seems to be off, it is too orangey.
- Too much details lost to the blacks and whites too, really couldn't make out the details of those buildings along the horizon. My guess is your S curve it too steep.
- The Flyer - PP seems abit crude as the middle of the flyer is not the same like the rest of the sky.
- There is this white dot in the middle-top of the frame, is that the moon? It's kinda distracting.

Just my 2 cents

I'm not a pro, but I offer my opinion
- First thing, your White balance seems to be off, it is too orangey.
- Too much details lost to the blacks and whites too, really couldn't make out the details of those buildings along the horizon. My guess is your S curve it too steep.
- The Flyer - PP seems abit crude as the middle of the flyer is not the same like the rest of the sky.
- There is this white dot in the middle-top of the frame, is that the moon? It's kinda distracting.

Just my 2 cents

Noted!

Thanks for your comment!

Yup! That's the moon at the middle-top of the frame. I should cropped it up.

correct if i'm wrong 'cos i'm still an amateur ...

focus as in subject of focus for the skyline?

actually, i'm shooting a skyline of the city during the twilight...

Your picture looks soft. I suspect your exposure time is long, coupled with vibrations or movement somewhere - ground vibration from passing vehicles or is it a windy night?
I like how the clouds streak across the sky though. Good use of long exposure.

apart from the above mentioned, perhaps you can try to correct the keystone effect too, as the buildings were all leaning backwards due to the tilted up lens.

actually did you really took this photo at 7.30pm? the sky seemed too dark for blue hour(7-8pm).

Your picture looks soft. I suspect your exposure time is long, coupled with vibrations or movement somewhere - ground vibration from passing vehicles or is it a windy night?
I like how the clouds streak across the sky though. Good use of long exposure.

thanks!

yup, that night was rather windy... hmmm ... & the joggers at the park might have cost the vibrations somehow ...

apart from the above mentioned, perhaps you can try to correct the keystone effect too, as the buildings were all leaning backwards due to the tilted up lens.

actually did you really took this photo at 7.30pm? the sky seemed too dark for blue hour(7-8pm).

oh oki noted!

yup! i took this ard 7.30 to 7.45pm during that day... which is stated on my properties of the picture...

the joggers at the park might have cost the vibrations somehow ...

Not unless they are a herd of elephants.

It looks to me like you stopped down too far (f/22?) and also did not focus correctly in the first place, possible coupled with a cheap/flimsy tripod or a cheap filter.

The postprocessing looks to be done with a sledgehammer, like an over-cooked nighttime HDR.

A few things worth taking note of:,

Keystone distortion, try to level your camera using a spirit level.
White balance, too orangey for me.
Cut off reflections, I thought the reflections might be interesting. not too sure why u choose to crop them away.
Space to the left and right of the frame. Your framing seems too tight, it seems like you try to squeeze in everything. I prefer more breathing space, though I must admit that I am equally guilty of this when I first started.

:) Keep shooting.

Last edited:
A few things worth taking note of:,

Keystone distortion, try to level your camera using a spirit level.
White balance, too orangey for me.
Cut off reflections, I thought the reflections might be interesting. not too sure why u choose to crop them away.
Space to the left and right of the frame. Your framing seems too tight, it seems like you try to squeeze in everything. I prefer more breathing space, though I must equally guilty of this when I first started.

:) Keep shooting.

noted!

thanks for the comment!

will keep shooting !!

Chaoticbusher, were you using a tripod? everything seems to be blur or out of focus.. or was it meant to be artistic?

i was using a tripod...
im not sure why but may be its due to the stability of my tripod ...

I don't think it's out of focus...those motion blur objects are clouds and flyer which happen to be occupying quite prominent spaces...quite abit of overexposure at the bottom...and i too feel is too tight...

I don't think it's out of focus...those motion blur objects are clouds and flyer which happen to be occupying quite prominent spaces...quite abit of overexposure at the bottom...and i too feel is too tight...

so ... hmmm ... may i know what's ur suggestion to help me improve on my next shot? :)

You definitely can improve and the way to do it is to go back there again. Most of the highlights are blown out and learning to control your exposure is important. Your frame is also too tight. Different day has different intensity of light and you will have to try it out yourself. It is not easy and takes a lot of patience. Someone pointed out to me that the flyer should not cut across any buildings behind it and I went back to find that angle. So I did after four times. Here is just an example of the angle and the flyer is not mess up with the buildings behind. For sure,I will be back there again for better light and sunset. Hope you will try again..

7202963892_27b3aee14c_d.jpg

Check if you set you WB correctly.. Good to leave it in auto.

Last edited:
You definitely can improve and the way to do it is to go back there again. Most of the highlights are blown out and learning to control your exposure is important. Your frame is also too tight. Different day has different intensity of light and you will have to try it out yourself. It is not easy and takes a lot of patience. Someone pointed out to me that the flyer should not cut across any buildings behind it and I went back to find that angle. So I did after four times. Here is just an example of the angle and the flyer is not mess up with the buildings behind. For sure,I will be back there again for better light and sunset. Hope you will try again..

noted!

thanks!

I also agree that the singapore flyer shouldn't be overlapping with other buildings. the angle you've captured is great! and chaoticbusher, is the picture suppose to be blur? maybe the exposure is too much. would definitely be better if it's clearer like MGohzxc has done.