Gamma Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Matter

Jul 22, 2008
Current reading up information on Gamma and color profile setting. But the more I read the more confusion I've got myself into.

Why on my monitor (philips 190S) the gamma curve at 2.2 is on the upper side, while...(see next pic)
2-11-20109-25-35AM.jpg

from some website, the gamma curve at 2.2 is on the lower side...:confused:
2-11-20109-29-09AM.jpg

Then when i set to Color profile to sRGB the gamma curve goes under and screen become very dark even my OSD brightness set at 100%
2-11-20108-52-57AM.jpg

Someone please show some pointer and do please enlighten me on this relationship between color profile(from graphic card) vs gamma and color profile (from monitor) vs gamma. Does the color profile from Graphic card and monitor has anything in relation and/or how do they affect the gamma.???

Been struggling for weeks over reading from website and forum, but to no avail, still feeling very lost ... like a sampan at sea.:embrass:

Leave it as standard mode and let the card convert the colours for you, don't force your monitor to replicate. :)

Current reading up information on Gamma and color profile setting. But the more I read the more confusion I've got myself into.

Leave everything to standard / default, get a monitor calibrator. It doesn't make any sense to use graphics card profiles or monitor profiles supplied by the manufacturer. The profiling must be done across the entire setup, including all components that will convert digital image data into visible images on screen.
The profiling software will display defined images with known colours, the calibration device will read the outputon screen. As a result there will be a profile of how accurate the input is converted into output which is used to create the colour profile for your system. Load the profile (and remove ever other profile!) and your system will display accurate colours. For newer displays don't use Spyder2, get version 3 or any other profiling solution that works for newer display technology.

So do I need to set gamma to 2.2 for windows? I tot there is lots of people mentioning setting gamma to 2.2 . I will be using my new U2410(still in box) after i got my new system(W7 64bit) next week.

Do I need to set gamma to 2.2?
Will I get a close print out vs screen output after using spyder?
Can few of us share a spyder3 instead of getting 1 for each of us? Since we only do calibration 2-3 times a years.

Status
Not open for further replies.