Gaffering

DjSnap

Feb 9, 2011
Hello i am going to gaffer all my equipment but first is there any tools that i need as i would not want scratches on all my gears

All help are appreciated

Thanks in advance

DjSnap said:
Hello i am going to gaffer all my equipment but first is there any tools that i need as i would not want scratches on all my gears

All help are appreciated

Thanks in advance

Gaffer all yr equipment? Hmm good idea at first, but after constant use, even gaffer tape will produce sticky residues

Gaffer all yr equipment? Hmm good idea at first, but after constant use, even gaffer tape will produce sticky residues

after all its just for protection and will replace it ever 2-3 moths but first any qeuipments i shud buy cause if use pen knife or scissors cfm got scratches

after all its just for protection and will replace it ever 2-3 moths but first any qeuipments i shud buy cause if use pen knife or scissors cfm got scratches

wow! your gonna gaffer all your equipment? meaning the whole camera and lens ah?

would like to know how to gaffer also =x psps

i know how to gaffer but i don wan use scissors or penknife thats why asking btw u know where to buy camo gaffer tape?

and yes all my lenses and camera

i know how to gaffer but i don wan use scissors or penknife thats why asking btw u know where to buy camo gaffer tape?

if im not wrong, sgcamerastore.com or artworkfoto.com might have u can try, not sure also

crystal1993 said:
I would suggest not gaffering though lol.

Why?as I am a careless gaffering may decrease chances of getting scratches

DjSnap said:

Don't need to treat like tofu. External scratches are no problem. The gaffering might make your gears more slippery, if you drop it, the inside is going to be thrashed.

Because it's not practical. Lol. Cosmetic scratches is ok one. Don't need to treat your camera like a fragile glass vase or something.
Besides gaffering is gonna leave sticky residue and it's not standard 3 months but rather the place that your camera is in etc.
Saw this guy's camera which is gaffered until like ba zhang, we left our camera bags in a car to go makan and the car is parked in an open air car park hence subjected to Mr Sun.
When after makan go back and planning to continue shooting, he realised that his camera felt 'weird' like a bit 'mushy' and thus he peeled of his gaffer tape and lo and behold.
Seems like gaffer tapes don't like heat and the supposedly sticky residue 'melted', some of the 'liquid' thingy actually flowed into the camera and it's time to say bye bye to it.

So in summary, what for waste time to gaffer your equipments which may potentially harm it? Lol. People only gaffer to hide their camera brand and that's it. They don't mummified them. Lol.

Scratches add character.

And what's the point of gaffering when, if you drop your lens and the elements shift or the front element cracks? Or if the body's lcd cracks? Etc etc etc....

And the residue left over if u peel it off?

Ok now since i mentioned all those, please don't put mini pillows around your lenses, accessories and camera body to cushion against drops :bsmilie:

camera & lens body kanna scratches still will work. camo gaffer is to break the shape of very large lens when doing wild-life photography. Anyway how are you going to gaffer your tammy? the lens extends out with 2 sections @ 250mm.

camera & lens body kanna scratches still will work. camo gaffer is to break the shape of very large lens when doing wild-life photography. Anyway how are you going to gaffer your tammy? the lens extends out with 2 sections @ 250mm.

Take one hour gaffering the barrel only to realise that it doesn't slide back in XD

Sphben said:
Take one hour gaffering the barrel only to realise that it doesn't slide back in XD

Than it becomes a prime lens of 250mm! :bsmilie:

i only gaffer hood lor lol decided to gaffer hood only

My family is distributor of adhesives sheeting including gaffer tapes. That is also why none of us ever gaffer our camera equipment nor do we stick faux carbon fiber material on any of our stuff.

defeat purpose rite. why not bubble wrap the 550D also.

I drag my 1kD through some horror situation. the day it kong chiang, the exterior still look great.

My dad just dropped his 500D + 15-85 few days ago. Filter shatter... else no scratch, all working fine.

Want to spend $, get very good filters. it won't screw IQ and protect lens better against knock n drop vs gaffering the hood....

DjSnap said:

Why don't you try something less sticky. I saw some shops in peninsula selling camera armor.

http://www.cameraarmor.com/

I have a set of this rubber armor for my expired 1000D. Did not really use it. if TS interested, I can sell to him, can also fit a 550D ... hahaha