Gaffer tape & residue after few years

Michael68

Jan 23, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Dear all,
Just wondering if anyone still uses gaffer tape nowadays? I used it on some of my compacts due to lack of grip. Just wanted to check on other users experience as I found that after leaving it on few years, the tape gets to stuck on quite well and removing it will be a challenge, so much so that I had to use light fluid to get it out without leaving the sticky mess behind. I am using the good gaffer tapes sold by camera stores. Just wonder if there are new tapes in the market that would leave less residue behind? I have checked the Mcnett Camo tape but they function more as wrap rather than a tape. Thanks in advance!

Mike

All gaffer tape are the same. They all use latex based adheaive. To avoid residue, you should be removing old and reapplying new gaffer every 3-4 months.

Yup, the issue isn't with the tape, it's user error if you're expecting it to be residue free after a few years ;p

bro, can try use the turpine, hope i spelt correctly. just a little will do. And not THINNER!

will have some smell, just use alcohol wipes from first aid to do the final cleaning.

it works for those stubborn sticky parts.

Isopropyl Alcohol, Guardian, 200ml for a few Dollars. Doesn't smell as nasty as turpentine ...

Avoid Turpentine or alcohol or thinner.

For metal/pastic areas, you can use a new piece of gaffer tape and stick and pull out the residue. That is how we do it in the adhesive industry. For harder areas, like textured or rubber, use lighter fluid.

Avoid Turpentine or alcohol or thinner.

For metal/pastic areas, you can use a new piece of gaffer tape and stick and pull out the residue. That is how we do it in the adhesive industry. For harder areas, like textured or rubber, use lighter fluid.

actually the turpentine do wonder, as it does not leave any areas melted unlike thinner. it only has a bit of strong aftertaste.

i apply alcohol swipe after that. it is as good as new.

actually the turpentine do wonder, as it does not leave any areas melted unlike thinner. it only has a bit of strong aftertaste.

i apply alcohol swipe after that. it is as good as new.

Try lighter fluid and you will know why everyone in the industry uses that. Even cell phone shops uses it to remove residue from phones.

Turpentine will discolor some plastics as well, so be really careful if you insist on using turpentine.

Try lighter fluid and you will know why everyone in the industry uses that. Even cell phone shops uses it to remove residue from phones.

Turpentine will discolor some plastics as well, so be really careful if you insist on using turpentine.

sir yes sir!