G5 iMac LCD Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCLow

Nov 14, 2004
I noticed that when I view photos on my iMac LCD versus my PC's LCD or Sony monitor, they are much brighter. Of course when printed, I can see that the PC better matches the final output. So I normally turn up brightness by as much as 15 points to compensate. Anyone have this problem as well, and if yes, how to resolve? Is this something a monitor calibration will solve? How do I set LCD brightness in OSX?

Of course when I view pictures with lots of shadows, the details that are quite visible on my iMac is just dark patches on the PC.

Thanks in advance.

ps: Like in this thread
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=1788744#post1788744
I can lots of shadow details on the iMac, but very little on my Sony Trinitron.

You need to calibrate your screen.... a calibrated screen will be darker as well.

KCLow said:
I noticed that when I view photos on my iMac LCD versus my PC's LCD or Sony monitor, they are much brighter. Of course when printed, I can see that the PC better matches the final output. So I normally turn up brightness by as much as 15 points to compensate. Anyone have this problem as well, and if yes, how to resolve? Is this something a monitor calibration will solve? How do I set LCD brightness in OSX?

Of course when I view pictures with lots of shadows, the details that are quite visible on my iMac is just dark patches on the PC.

Thanks in advance.

ps: Like in this thread
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=1788744#post1788744
I can lots of shadow details on the iMac, but very little on my Sony Trinitron.

Do calibrate your iMac screen. It will still be brighter than the Sony Trinitron I believe after calibration and colours will be more accurate.

Cheers!

Hi, i met with the same problem when i bought my imac G5 when it just launched. The default brightness is way too high. I calibrate using mac's monitor calibrator in system preference. Brightness of the screen is at it's lowest. No doubt it's a little dark. Calibration also need some criteria, like keeping your mac away bright sunlight, and do it when you're not tired. Fatigue can make the calibration not accurate..

Next step is to do proofing in CS (if you're using it to edit and save-as and print).. I chose the ICC profile of my usual printing lab. That will show me quite accurately what i will get from the printout. True enough, the printout is very very accurate and close to what i see on the monitor. The highlights and shadows are printed very accurately, put the photo side by side with my monitor, i can hardly see any difference. If you live near hougang, feel free to pop over and see.

With apple monitor, it's not that hard to imagine. ;)

I am apprehensive abt doing research on it ... cos after that, sure BUY BUY BUY! Then pocket one big hole :cry:

Hahah I saw a Benq Screen today for like 1.1k SGD seems quite good. but then I dun want to lug it back to SG.

Status
Not open for further replies.