G5 for ROM, reasonable result?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sperry1

Apr 17, 2004
Dear all, appreciate if you guys can give me some precious advise.
Am getting help from my friend for shoting my ROM by using my Canon G5, not sure will it be good 'enough' - (reasonable good result) How should I ask my friend to shot with it? Of cos I knw that getting a pro with a big 'ang pow' will cease all the risk, but unfortunately, I am out of budget. Pls advise..... thanks in advance.

It should be good enough. You might need an external flash for indoor shoot.

u will need slr for such stuff. coz u need the lesser shutter and AF lag, and also the external flash that slr can provide

G5
420EX Bounce with omni-bounce or reflector
P mode
Largest JPEG
Auto WB
ISO 50 or 100
try not to zoom in too often , use wide angle and go closer to the object
Extra Batt BP511
Extra CF
Extra AA batt for 420EX

I used a G5 for my cousin's ROM last year, no problem. You can either use Auto WB, or shoot in RAW if you have at least a 512MB CF. Shooting in Large JPEG is fine if you're sure the white balence and exposure will be correct.

Don't worry so much about the shutter lag. But shooting in ISO50 is a must.

My setup was G5 + 380EX with bounce card.

But since it's your friend who will be shooting for you, does he know how to handle prosumer well? Most people unfamiliar with prosumer or digital cameras as a whole will produce shots which have 'handshake effect' in them, this is especially true in indoor situations when low avilable light means slower shutter speed. If he is not used to G5, then I would recommend you just using a point and shoot flim camera instead. Better to have some decent shots than bad shots right?

mr_jason said:
I used a G5 for my cousin's ROM last year, no problem. You can either use Auto WB, or shoot in RAW if you have at least a 512MB CF. Shooting in Large JPEG is fine if you're sure the white balence and exposure will be correct.

Don't worry so much about the shutter lag. But shooting in ISO50 is a must.

My setup was G5 + 380EX with bounce card.

But since it's your friend who will be shooting for you, does he know how to handle prosumer well? Most people unfamiliar with prosumer or digital cameras as a whole will produce shots which have 'handshake effect' in them, this is especially true in indoor situations when low avilable light means slower shutter speed. If he is not used to G5, then I would recommend you just using a point and shoot flim camera instead. Better to have some decent shots than bad shots right?

Many thanks for you guys advises.... Will take note for that.
Two more question, can tripod be used in the ROM room? Is the any rental of equipment - flash for G5, service available here?

sperry1 said:
Many thanks for you guys advises.... Will take note for that.
Two more question, can tripod be used in the ROM room? Is the any rental of equipment - flash for G5, service available here?

Yes. I used tripod in ROM. It's not very practical for use at the solemnization ceremony itself, because in candids, people do move around. But when taking group shot of everyone when posing it's more useful.

As for rental, you can tru the Consumer and Services Sub-Forum which is under Buy/Sell Sub-Forum.

Use the 420EX (bounced) for the posed shots.

For the "action" shots, use ISO 200, Av mode f2.0, move in close, take from low angles using the flip-out LCD for dramatic, unforgettable pictures. Can also take from overhead viewpoints using the flip-out LCD.

Note that if you're exposure is not right, at ISO200 you're going to have hell lot of noise. As mega has advised, try not to go above ISO100. And be on the constant pre-focusing as the solemnization moves & goes very fast.

Alternatively, like you mention an "ang pow" is all it takes to settle your ROM. Perhaps, I can help... :think:

confirm can one lar. i had amazing results with my f420. i'm sure ur camera confirm can one lor..... :bsmilie:

I am a "seasoned" G5 user. AF would be something you really have to watch for. If you friend is not familiar with it you would miss precious moments. Mega's suggestion to go wide is good, you have better DOF.

Do note that ISO value on cams like G5 and those of DSLR is not the same. I find it is not useful to go more than ISO100 on the G5, the noise is devastating. Try to shoot in RAW so you have a second chance at WB and exposure adjustment.

Frankly, if I were you I would try to borrow an SLR/DSLR or pay someone competent to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.