Tough one.

1. Half metal/half plastic vs full metal body
2. 4 vs 5 megapixels
3. full swivel vs tilt (up/down) LCD
4. f/2.8-whatever vs f/1.8-whatever
5. 4x zoom vs 3x zoom
6. CF only vs CF/xD/SM
7. Not-so-macro vs 3cm macro

The other thing is that the 5050 is said to have extraordinarily long battery life, and it uses AA batteries.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Barrios
Which is a better choice? :dunno:

halo...this is some good n bad about my G3

------------------------
Bad thing about G3
------------------------
the viewfinder kenah blocked by the lens...u can only see abt 80% <ur subject> from the viewfinder.

cannot focus properly on very bright color object esp. red color

too light-weight

------------------------------
good thing about G3
------------------------------

the battery life is very good lor from a full charge.

:D

Originally posted by kindred

wah liew...if i sell u what am i gonna use man ? :confused:
S45? No lens blockage and no focussing problem. :bsmilie:

C-5050z anytime!!!:rbounce:

Originally posted by ckiang
Tough one.

2. 4 vs 5 megapixels
4. f/2.8-whatever vs f/1.8-whatever
5. 4x zoom vs 3x zoom
6. CF only vs CF/xD/SM

The other thing is that the 5050 is said to have extraordinarily long battery life, and it uses AA batteries.

Regards
CK
Added two more:
8. Lower noise vs higher noise.
9. $12xx vs $14xx

After evaluating and testing G3 and C5050, I decided to keep my G2.

Originally posted by tsdh

Added two more:
8. Lower noise vs higher noise.
9. $12xx vs $14xx

After evaluating and testing G3 and C5050, I decided to keep my G2.

msrp
1399 g3
1299 g2
1499 5050
1199 s40
1199 c50

noise? use nr lor... ;p

g2 is good... after using 5050 for a while, feel that 3x cams I can live with c4000...

who said g3 too light????

I personally don't like the Canon G3... don't know why still 4MP...??, and I had bought the Olympus C-5050Z... Test drive this afternoon & night... The result is excellent... ;D

Originally posted by ivor
I personally don't like the Canon G3... don't know why still 4MP...??, and I had bought the Olympus C-5050Z... Test drive this afternoon & night... The result is excellent... ;D
Canon decided to stay at 4MP because after they evaluate the 5MP sensors, they found out that its noise is too high. Thus require higher degree of noise suppression algorithm which compromising more picture details. (Pls take note: the size of 5MP sensor of prosumer digicam is the same size of the 4MP one, not bigger. Squeezing more pixels into the same sensor area will result in lower signal to noise ratio).

Originally posted by denizenx

msrp
1399 g3
1299 g2
Just last Saturday, two of my friends bought G3 from Alan photo, $1200 incl GST.

noise? use nr lor... ;p

g2 is good... after using 5050 for a while, feel that 3x cams I can live with c4000...
NR can be used until certain degree, too much NR will sacrifice details. NR is not a magic.
I agree with you, G2 is good, that's why I keep using it, do not intend to upgrade. I borrowed a G3 for a while and test it, appreciated its upgraded software functionality, but in term of image quality is not better than G2.

Hmmm, tough choice indeed, at least from my perspective. But you can help yourself by looking at what pictures you'd like to take.

Here's some of my humble opinion.

Going out hiking etc often, clumsy person, or don't have a camera bag? go metal ;P Nah... just see if you like the 'feel' first.

2. 4 vs 5 megapixels
Hmmm... gonna blow up your pictures to poster size? Or mostly 4Rs & 8Rs, either doesn't make too much difference, pekka can still take really good photos with his G1 or D30 at 3mp, that's what we all want, right? Take good pictures. Unless you're a pro, but then, you'd be looking at >10mp DSLRs for that. 4 vs 5mp is mostly marketing hype.

I have a G2, and I love the swivel, took a few lovely series of family portraits with the swivel facing us and the remote. Useful for taking 'overhead' shots at crowded places too.
Dunno how the up/down tilt LCD of Oly works though.

4. f/2.0-3.0-whatever vs f/1.8-whatever
Bright lens! f/1.8 wins hands down, but G2 still usable.

5. 4x zoom vs 3x zoom
Not too big a diff, may want to consider a TC, if you're gonna take from a distance, like animals, birds, street shoots. Put that f/1.8 to good advantage.

6. CF only vs CF/xD/SM
CF cheaper, xD future.

The closer the better. If you want to take macro shots of insects, flowers, excellent choice to go for the 3cm macro.

I also heard that the shutter-lag is much less than G2, if you're taking people, esp kids, this comes in most handy. I've learnt to work with G2's lag, but I can't say a lesser lag won't make a difference. But it'll have to be almost like an SLR (instant) to really make an impact, because facial expressions changes in <50ms. The auto focusing will also have to be fast as well, to make it useful, the two go hand-in-hand.

AA batteries, great! Probably less overall cost, even if you buy a very good charger. Provided the battery life is as it claims to be.

Well, did I help much, heh heh... maybe not, but you'd have to try the cameras to be sure. The claims, and reviews are mostly on paper, and may be clouded by aggressive marketing talk. See for yourself, and review your needs and constraints.

have fun doing research.

-ptl-

My opinion is that: photographs define a photographer, not the camera used. So, my advice is to go ahead and "just do it". Both the G3 and the C5050 are capable of taking good photographs. Just go ahead and buy either one. Then, go take lots of pictures.

Think of the amount of time and opportunities wasted wondering what camera to buy when you could have been out taking photographs.

By the way, I own a G3 and the only thing I don't like about it is this: lack of a focal length indicator in autofocus mode.

The chap is asking for advice on the comparison between Olympus C-5050Z and G3. If you can't contribute, prehaps you'll be kind enough not to post irrelevant post in here?
Originally posted by Barrios
S45? No lens blockage and no focussing problem. :bsmilie:

I personally own both the Canon G2 and the Olympus C-5050Z. Before I buy, I'm also consider the pros and cons of Olympus C-5050Z and Canon G3. I finally bought former because of the metal alloy body.

My conclusion (personal opinion) are as follows (btw Oly C-5050Z and G2):-

(a) Oly is definitely heavier than G2/G3. With the heavier feel, it sort of give the feeling of rugged and robustiness. G2 is light, supposed to made of industrial grade plastic. Both are reliability. However, the only problem is both lens are protruding out, it's recommended to get a lens adaptor to prevent damage to the lens due to slight knocks.

(b) Based on visual conclusion, indeed Oly is more noiser than G2 at the same ISO setting. But this shouldn't be a problem if you limit to below R8 size printout.

(c) Both cameras come with excellent software and interface. Canon tend to give that little edge though, in user-friendly-ness.

(d) Both cameras have excellent battey-life. However no deny that Canon Li-ion battery is much long-lasting than NiMH batteries though. But NiMH batteries are much cheaper and comes in AA sizes. AA batteries are available almost everywhere and the Oly has a plus.

(e) Oly can take CF, SM and XD cards. Personally I relied on CF cards all the time and can be used on my G2 and Nikon D100. At the moment, CF is the most popular and I foresee it to be in years to come.

(f) 3x zoom range vs 4x. No difference to me.

(g) Shutter Lag. I think both cameras has min shutter lag. Can't compare to DSLR though. Focusing and taking photos using the LCD usually cause some delay. To shorten shutter lag, be anticipative of the action and ready your finger by pressing "half-shutter". Fast moving actions e.g children running around? Shut off the LCD and use the viewfinder.

(h) Siwel LCD (Canon) vs up/down LCD (Oly). Have to admit that the Oly LCD is crap. Not useful at all, as compared to the LCD(Canon). Swiel LCD can take self-protrait, and good flexibility.

(i) At wide-angle, G3 has the lens obstruction view in the viewfinder. Oly has the same problem after you screwed on its lens adaptor. But both are not big problems as to affect your photography.

(j) Oly has the super macro mode down to 3cm. A plus, but it's sometimes has difficulties in focusing. Master manual focusing is adviced.

Status
Not open for further replies.