G3 under sub-zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth

May 5, 2003
east
Visit site
does anyone knows whether can G3 be operating under sub-zero condition? says about -10+ degrees.

And if it can, probably what are the things to take note in protecting it under such conditions in and out.

HIee....

I think for may Canon Camera specs....operating Temperature..0 to 40 degree celsius...
Lower than that may not guaranted to work...

LCD may not turn on...Battery will short lived....

Regards,
Sulhan

The LCD is damn hot .... is that normal? I think under our Singapore weather, it'll easily be more than 40 degrees. Turning it off isn't quite an option as the OVF is you know, sucks!

err...that is to say, can try but at your own risk???

Sulhan, you have a G2 right, will u be testing it under such conditions? Probably can update me.

Anyway, also have experience the LCD starts to warm up after long use. Says about after 15mins (i think). Thought anything that gives out light, would naturally gives out heat. Correct?

Originally posted by stealth
does anyone knows whether can G3 be operating under sub-zero condition? says about -10+ degrees.

And if it can, probably what are the things to take note in protecting it under such conditions in and out.

I ever used a G2 under those conditions, the thing I was protecting more were my freezing fingers. If it is snowing, I guess it would be wise to have some tissues or cloth to wipe away the melted snow. I kept the camera close to my body most of the time. An oh, I had the lens adapter on with a UV lens so that I camera lens need not to be too exposed.

Originally posted by foxfire
I ever used a G2 under those conditions, the thing I was protecting more were my freezing fingers. If it is snowing, I guess it would be wise to have some tissues or cloth to wipe away the melted snow. I kept the camera close to my body most of the time. An oh, I had the lens adapter on with a UV lens so that I camera lens need not to be too exposed.

Does it affect the funtionality of the camera?
I am interested to knoe also coz might be bringing my G3 to Canada... I heard it goes beyond -10 degrees there? Brrr.....

Originally posted by sesame_street98
Does it affect the funtionality of the camera?
I am interested to knoe also coz might be bringing my G3 to Canada... I heard it goes beyond -10 degrees there? Brrr.....

I went to Canada Rockies too, at one time the temp was like -20+, but I thought my camera function normally. But the thing is that I am in the comfort of the coach or car most of the time. They gave about an hour or so at each stop. I don't know how the camera would face up to extended periods in the cold.

Just wondering does this apply to all cameras? or digital only?
Does SLR cameras actually better to withstand extreme conditions?

Now I am rather reserved to bring my G3... maybe shd bring my Dynax 5 instead.. oh wait wat abt the lenses? arrgghh...

interesting..

hope my dynax5 can withstand it.. electronic equipments.. hm

dun worry. i study in chicago and have used g3 in even colder than -20..

the camera NO PROBLEM.

Battery life drops. (so bring batts!)

Fingers. Big problem.

Damn hard to fiddle with ur cam wearing gloves, so sometimes i take off my gloves..

but fingers freeze within a minute!

yeah, I agree with foxfire, thomaschan etc; worry more abt your fingers than the cam! Your camera bodies can take short exposures to cold better than your body... don't hang your cams on the neck and keep it near your body or bag and it should be fine! :)

..NuTs..

Status
Not open for further replies.