G2 suitable for newbie??

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sneezybum

Hi, I am a newbie to digital photography. After seeing numerous reviews praising about G2, I'm thinking of getting a Canon G2 as my first digicam. I've got several qns regarding the camera.

1. Does all the manual controls requires a great deal of effort to learn?

2. Is this camera good for both day and night shots? Heard that most digicam got problems with night shots?

3. I will be using this camera for travelling purposes. Does it perform well taking landscape pics?

4. The G2 only has a 3X optical zoom. Seems pretty limited in its zoom capabilities when compared to Oly2100 or Casi QV2900. In that case, can I make use of the digital zoom function to capture far objects? If not, what can I do to enhance the range of the cam?

Sorry that I have so many questions. But I really want to be sure before I buy it as it is not cheap. Will also welcome opinions offering different digicams. Thanks for your advice. ;)

Originally posted by sneezybum
Hi, I am a newbie to digital photography. After seeing numerous reviews praising about G2, I'm thinking of getting a Canon G2 as my first digicam. I've got several qns regarding the camera.

2. Is this camera good for both day and night shots? Heard that most digicam got problems with night shots?

3. I will be using this camera for travelling purposes. Does it perform well taking landscape pics?

4. The G2 only has a 3X optical zoom. Seems pretty limited in its zoom capabilities when compared to Oly2100 or Casi QV2900. In that case, can I make use of the digital zoom function to capture far objects? If not, what can I do to enhance the range of the cam?

Sorry that I have so many questions. But I really want to be sure before I buy it as it is not cheap. Will also welcome opinions offering different digicams. Thanks for your advice. ;)

1) Easy to learn, hard to master. Practise, practise and practise.

2) Yes, that's what manual controls are for.

3) Yes, just remember to get enuff CF (or a Microdrive) to last u for u entire trip and don't forget spare batteries too.

4) U can attach a Teleconverter lens to extend the focal length, need to get a lens adpater 1st though. Don't use digital zoom at all...it will affect the pix quality, causing the pix to be grainy and pixelated at higher zoom factor.

Sorry I have used digital zoom before and it can make it. For web prints and 4Rs it is ok.

Digital zoom must shoot under optimal conditions AND with a firm hand/tripod.

Go for it. It definitely good for a newbie to learn all the manual features b4 venturing to more professional camera and the g2 is the best choice.

I'm also totally new. decided to opt for the G2 but cost me a bomb
after including a B300 and the 430ex flash yesterday. Saw a group of guys snapping up the Oly from steven of AP.

Originally posted by humbug

after including a B300 and the 430ex flash yesterday. Saw a group of guys snapping up the Oly from steven of AP.

No worries. G2 is definitely superior in all departments. The only thing that bugs me is the weight and lack of zoom.

Went down to AP today. Was quoted a price of $1250 for standard package. But currently no stock. Tried out the Oly2100 instead. Was quoted a price of $1300 for the following items.

1. Oly2100
2. SM 128MB
3. Original travel kit with quick charger and batteries
4. Tripod and travelling case
5. UV filter

From the few demo shots taken, seems quite impressive especially the 10X zoom. This is one area that G2 definitely cannot beat. But only 2.1 megapix.

Any Oly2100 users, care to comment on the image quality of Oly2100 compared to G2? My primary concern would be good shots with minimal software image processing.I would also like to know whether I need other accesories (e.g. add on lens / flash) in order to get good pics. Also, looks like most new Oly2100 complain about dead/hot pixels. Is it a serious prob? Now very confused, Oly2100 or G2?? ;)

Went down to AP today. Was quoted a price of $1250 for standard package. But currently no stock. Tried out the Oly2100 instead. Was quoted a price of $1300 for the following items.

1. Oly2100
2. SM 128MB
3. Original travel kit with quick charger and batteries
4. Tripod and travelling case
5. UV filter

From the few demo shots taken, seems quite impressive especially the 10X zoom. This is one area that G2 definitely cannot beat. But only 2.1 megapix.

Any Oly2100 users, care to comment on the image quality of Oly2100 compared to G2? My primary concern would be good shots with minimal software image processing.I would also like to know whether I need other accesories (e.g. add on lens / flash) in order to get good pics. Also, looks like most new Oly2100 complain about dead/hot pixels. Is it a serious prob? Now very confused, Oly2100 or G2?? ;)

Can't cooment on the Canon G2, sorrie.

Don't know abt the rest of the accessories, but the C-2100UZ + UV filter + 128MB SM + GST should less than $1100 to fall within the 'reasonable' range.

Image quality can be described as sharp wif accurate color....not under or over-saturated....though some ppl might find the color 'dull'...but that's what our eyes actually see.

As for hot pixel problem gotta bring to Oly Sg for upgrading of firmware and remapping of CCD...after that no problem, like mine.

For me 2.1MP is adequate already for 4R ~ 6R photos (some tried up to 8R).

Originally posted by humbug

Those guy are now part of my Olympus DC thread:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1552

personally i feel that getting a TC for a DC will be a waste on investment as Digital Camera technology is rapidly changing. Improving in a exponential way. Digital camera without good zooming still can make it if u own a SLR. If u intend onli go for digital photos dun get G2. Get something with a 10x zoom. Something like a pro90 oly2000 707.... etc etc. G2 will be great for scenary but if u wanna go for zooming a TC may help but still wont go as far.

Think twice.

I used to think Mpixel is everything, until I read this in depth report on Digital Camera,

if you don't do much printing, 2Mpixel can go up with 8R with good acceptable quality.

A good 2Mpixel camera can even win a 4Mixel point and shoot ones

Where can I find the report?

Originally posted by Jayan
3) Yes, just remember to get enuff CF (or a Microdrive) to last u for u entire trip and don't forget spare batteries too.

4) U can attach a Teleconverter lens to extend the focal length, need to get a lens adpater 1st though. Don't use digital zoom at all...it will affect the pix quality, causing the pix to be grainy and pixelated at higher zoom factor.

G2 can fit microdrive ? that means 5gb, 10gb also possible ? I'm very very new to this. what u're saying is G2 can be fitted with a lens adapter, then i can go find any zoom lens that i want to fit ? coz i'm looking at a camera with great zoom.

G2 can fit those lenses that can take insect shots ? those super close up ones ? eg the Ant's head as big as 640x480 in a 1024x768 pix ? hmm.. just hantam ratio only.. so how ?

G2 with the adapter can take those closeup filter or lenses. The prob is that u have to get real close to the insect to take the pic. U cannot just fit any teleconverter to the camera as u have to consider the amount of vignetting it introduces.

Like wat Java_Guru said, the G2 is quite a good camera. But if good zoom is wat u desire, then get the oly, canon pro90is or sony f707. For some good shots of the pro90is in action, u can try megaweb's website. For sony f707, u can approach willyfoo or kamwai. For Oly i think Jayan has given u the thread to start.

Have fun!! ;)

the canon pro90is seems expensive. the shots seems good, but it's only 2.1 Mpx. the G2 is 4.0Mpx. so G2 better ? i'm not just new.. i'm considered alien to it.. trying to pick it up.

Originally posted by shawntim
the canon pro90is seems expensive. the shots seems good, but it's only 2.1 Mpx. the G2 is 4.0Mpx. so G2 better ? i'm not just new.. i'm considered alien to it.. trying to pick it up.

Canon Pro90is has a 3.3MP CCD but only 2.6MP of it is useable....and also the lens system is a incredible 10x zoom with image stabilization..it's a completely diff animal from the G2 altogether.

Originally posted by Java_Guru

No worries. G2 is definitely superior in all departments. The only thing that bugs me is the weight and lack of zoom.

the weight??? for me i feel its too light to handle.

affordable (compared to pro 90, personally), 3.3 megapix, 7x zoom (35-250mm, equivalent), full of manual controls, can fit micro drive, accepts the common 49mm filter. Minolta Dimage 5. Not exactly a point and shoot, but well, may be an interesting choice if you want some more room to grow.

I'm planning to buy a G2 too but it seems to be sold out real fast!
I surely highly recommend G2 for both beginners and professionals.

Originally posted by Flare
affordable (compared to pro 90, personally), 3.3 megapix, 7x zoom (35-250mm, equivalent), full of manual controls, can fit micro drive, accepts the common 49mm filter. Minolta Dimage 5. Not exactly a point and shoot, but well, may be an interesting choice if you want some more room to grow.
How much did you get the D5? Do you know how much the D7 is?

:Later,

Status
Not open for further replies.