G2 + 420ex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
Just got this wonderful flash during today's SEED and also thanks to the advice given to me by all the "old birds" :)

Got 1 query about the flash when used with the G2. I can't seem to change the mode of the flash to autoflash mode, redeye reduction or no flash, etc. Is this normal??

Originally posted by Goose
Just got this wonderful flash during today's SEED and also thanks to the advice given to me by all the "old birds" :)

Got 1 query about the flash when used with the G2. I can't seem to change the mode of the flash to autoflash mode, redeye reduction or no flash, etc. Is this normal??

How much did you pay for it? Just curious.

I think its all automatically done in your flash. The flash is always in autoflash mode. I'm not 100% sure about red-eye (but the flash can detect subject distance). To have "no flash" just switch off the flash. :)

There won't likely be any red eye effect using an external flash. So there's no need for the mode.

Thanks afiend & mpenza... I think I get the idea.

But I realised that even if I shoot outdoor where there is sufficient lighting, the flash still fires. The only way to overcome this is to switch off the flash??

The only way to overcome this is to switch off the flash??

i suppose so
red eye is caused by some reflection thingy in your eyes, it happens the most when the flash is very near to the lens. that's why most of the built in flash always got this red eye problem.
There's no need to have red eye reduction when using the external because the flash is far away from the lens, so red eye dont usually occur, probably only in a few rare cases.

redeye is when u shoot in dim light... ppl's iris dilate to let more light in to see better... so suddenly u FLASH then the retina will reflect like catseye ---> REDEYE.... so redeye mode will preflash first... and the irises will shock and contract to the bright light so that ur real flash wun reflect..
since mounted flash close to the lens will have a small incidence angle the retinal reflection will be very obvious... so best to hold ur flash as far from lens perpendicular to eye..
however some ppl have a tendency to blink afte redeye flash so instead of redeye u get NO-EYE... it's true u know..

Just a friendly warning to all new 420EX owners, the flash is blinding. Don't look directly into it at close range. U will see stars for a while if u fire a flash at full strength (guide at 30m I think).

Originally posted by Java_Guru
Just a friendly warning to all new 420EX owners, the flash is blinding. Don't look directly into it at close range. U will see stars for a while if u fire a flash at full strength (guide at 30m I think).

hehehe...yeah, i kena the flash the same as the guy in dpreview, taking shots of my nephew crawling on the floor with the flash in bounce. I was like this :confused: for quite awhile.....

hehehe...yeah, i kena the flash the same as the guy in dpreview, taking shots of my nephew crawling on the floor with the flash in bounce. I was like this :confused: for quite awhile.....

Same here too..didn't realised my flash was on..and pow! stars all over after that!!

;p

I've got a question about this... I'm currently having problems with some shots whereby the background is bright, and my subject ends up dark. If I use spot metering, my subject's fine but the background's washed out.

Will using the 420EX help out on this? I'd like to capture both background and subject properly in the shot (colors etc).

As an example of what I'm saying, HERE is a pic of my daughter, taken just outside of the Petronas Towers, Malaysia:

Regards,

Originally posted by Pinoy
I've got a question about this... I'm currently having problems with some shots whereby the background is bright, and my subject ends up dark. If I use spot metering, my subject's fine but the background's washed out.

Will using the 420EX help out on this? I'd like to capture both background and subject properly in the shot (colors etc).

As an example of what I'm saying, HERE is a pic of my daughter, taken just outside of the Petronas Towers, Malaysia:

Regards,

Huh? HOw come JDelphinet uses this id now?

Anyway to reply to your question, u could try firing your flash (manual) to light up the face. Keep it in evaluative metering to ensure background is ok.

420ex won't help much. The built in flash is sufficient.

You mean to say that the 420ex helps as much as the built-in flash isn't it?

BTW, does the G2 'Av' function switches the G2+420ex setup to a fill-in flash mode?

Originally posted by Java_Guru
Huh? HOw come JDelphinet uses this id now?
Because this is already a photography forum liao. No more Delphi, VB, Java, .NET in here! :bsmilie:

Anyway to reply to your question, u could try firing your flash (manual) to light up the face. Keep it in evaluative metering to ensure background is ok.

420ex won't help much. The built in flash is sufficient.
The truth is, I kind of do that sometimes, but in most of my day shots, I use Auto mode <g>. Guess I'll have to play around with my G2 one more time.

Regards,

Originally posted by Shadus

BTW, does the G2 'Av' function switches the G2+420ex setup to a fill-in flash mode?

I seem to recall(have to chk manual) so but I don't fill flash that way. I find P mode with adjustments to flash intensity more intuitive and better control.

Oh ok. Guess DC have different operating methods.

Anyway, just for canon users info.
For Canon's SLR with E-TTL functions. The 'Av' mode is the 'fill-flash' mode. What it does is calculate the amount of flash it needs to fire automatically and fires it. Hence, you'll find your subject (in this case) nearly perfectly lit-up to the same brightness as the background. The 'P' mode on the other hand is full-flash mode. Sometimes, with a dim background, even with some adjustment, the flash will tend to be overblown.

I'm actually considering of getting a 420EX. But I'm not sure what the advantages are (ironic, I know), and whether they're worth the $300 or so price tag.

So, is it really worth it? ;)

Regards,

Originally posted by Pinoy
I'm actually considering of getting a 420EX. But I'm not sure what the advantages are (ironic, I know), and whether they're worth the $300 or so price tag.

So, is it really worth it? ;)

Regards,

yes it is worth to get ... if got more budget , get 550 EX ..

Originally posted by megaweb
yes it is worth to get ... if got more budget , get 550 EX ..
Any idea how much the 550EX is? Any big difference between it and 420EX?

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.