G10, LX3, or any other better options? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marquis

Mar 13, 2009
Hi all pros bros,

I m new here, cos a friend suggested i come here to ask about this :) Thanks in advance!

I m upgrading from a compact (cmi man the colour n all) to either a prosumer or maybe a dslr (but i prefer compact easy to carry around) thus, i narrow down to this 2 cameras. G10 or LX3?

I read quite alot of reviews n forums discussions so far...........and I still have mixed feeling.

Professionals generally discuss G10 and their DSLRs comparison, LX3 seems neglected.

Ok here is wat i think of LX3.

1) most Compact of the lot with super impressivepictures outcome.

2) read tat it is good in low light?

3) only superrrr bad thing is the zoom.......2.5x zoom in a 24mm wide angle lense....omg?

As for G10:

1) picture quality is as good as LX3? (or slightly lousier abit)

2) nice zoom of 5x

3) bulky :(

4) but widely discussed in pros forums.........such as http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml ........

Ok i need advice which to get.........so any pros or bros who came across the same problem ( i believe got alot lor......haha) Please advice me. Thanks!!! :)

PS: BTW, how is Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 quality ? cos the price is also around there......

Here are some links i read on......

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/...ic=29189&st=20

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml

http://www.bythom.com/compactchallenge.htm

http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews...g10/10089.html

http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews...-lx3/9929.html

Regards
Marc

Last edited:
You will never go wrong with the LX3 color output and night shots

seems tat everyone tio LX3 poison...............no1 support G10? lolz........

Someone has posted pictures from the F200 on the Fujifilm thread. They look pretty amazing for a compact. Probably on par with a LX3. I have tried both and I like the F200 flash. The intelligent thingie that balance against ambient lighting really works. You also get a 5x zoom with the F200.

However, it is still a point and shoot at the end of the day. Manual functions are definitely lacking so, I don't think it is something OP is looking for?

then in that case the lx3 will be the better bet here. mega zooms like the sx1 and the sony new hx1 are getting better also, but for low light i think only the lx3 and the fuji are still the current leader.

My choice between the 2, LX3 for size & quality of lens ... G10's not bad but I already have 3 DSLR so compactness is what I'm looking for. BTW, the Fuji 200EXR hearsay is good. Give it a look ... go on HERE and HERE. Happy shopping ya ... this is the interesting part. :)

It really depends on what the TS is shooting most of the time. For me, personally, no matter how great the optics of the LX3 are or how great the pics it can take, I won't get it because it doesn't suit my usage.

The key point which everyone always misses is USAGE. If you go to the zoo for a family outing and your kid want to take a pic of the white tigers, can you take it with the LX3? Using my 40D and 55-250mm lens at 250mm, which is the equivalent of 400mm, I cannot even zoom in the tiger until it fills the screen. So definately any camera with a 60mm zoom range won't be suitable in this case.

On the other hand, if the TS takes mainly landscape pics that require wide lenses then maybe the LX3 would fit the bill but the issue is that for landscape pics you won't be shooting at f2.0 anyway...:)

It really depends on what the TS is shooting most of the time. For me, personally, no matter how great the optics of the LX3 are or how great the pics it can take, I won't get it because it doesn't suit my usage.

The key point which everyone always misses is USAGE. If you go to the zoo for a family outing and your kid want to take a pic of the white tigers, can you take it with the LX3? Using my 40D and 55-250mm lens at 250mm, which is the equivalent of 400mm, I cannot even zoom in the tiger until it fills the screen. So definately any camera with a 60mm zoom range won't be suitable in this case.

On the other hand, if the TS takes mainly landscape pics that require wide lenses then maybe the LX3 would fit the bill but the issue is that for landscape pics you won't be shooting at f2.0 anyway...:)

yeah the lx3 is mostly a night shooter or wide angle shooter. but if you really wana zoom in on a tiger, maybe the canon sx1, fuji f1000 or sony hx1 will be better. see what he needs.

kinda why dslr is more adaptable, i love my tamron 17-35mm for indoors (similar to lx3 range), but outdoors i think the 28-300mm is more usable (almost like the old generation of super zooms).

Hi all, thanks for yr comments.

But my usuage is mainly very usual stuffs.......the normal parties, chalets, my planted tank shrimps, and i love scenery pics...........but tat is of cos for the occasional overseas trip to HK taiwan etc.......

yes i know LX3 zoom is fail.........tats why i m still pondering. Cos i love zoom. But yet, LX3 fits all my other needs.....compact, good lense, superb pics.

Like handphones, there is NO one pefect model........this is their marketing tactic. sigh.

Thanks for other model introduction.......let me do a research on them as well :)

Hi all, thanks for yr comments.

But my usuage is mainly very usual stuffs.......the normal parties, chalets, my planted tank shrimps, and i love scenery pics...........but tat is of cos for the occasional overseas trip to HK taiwan etc.......

yes i know LX3 zoom is fail.........tats why i m still pondering. Cos i love zoom. But yet, LX3 fits all my other needs.....compact, good lense, superb pics.

Like handphones, there is NO one pefect model........this is their marketing tactic. sigh.

Thanks for other model introduction.......let me do a research on them as well :)

I used to own Lumix FX01, Fuji F50fd and now Canon 870IS with Sony A300.

For PNS cameras, I should say Canon G10 although great for outdoor shots but it's very bulky as a compact. I dun think you ever want to lug around a small brick everytime you travel or go any outings with friends/relatives.

Indoor shots, G10 and my present 870IS fails big time. At ISO250 to ISO400, the noise level is so high that the images are blur and I think the biggest print size you can do is 4R and still noise is quite visible.

I certainly like my previous F50fd. It has a very good intelligent flash (esp slow synchro mode) which will adjust the shutter speed according to the lighting condition so that the subject is nicely lit while the background is still retained.

Most of PNS cameras will give you very bright subjects while background is totally lost in darkness!!! That's what happening to my 870 now. And the slow synchro flash mode is useless as the shutter speed is set too slow which causes blur images easily, esp when subject moves or handshakes...

So from what I see, you will appreciate the new Fuji F200EXR more with it's good indoor capability while 28mm wide angle with 5x zoom serves you well for sceneries and travelling shots.

Check it out, it's actually has manual mode and use a much bigger sensor (1/1.6") which is similar to LX3, while the rest of the PNS, including G10 is using typical 1/2.5" or 1/2.3" sensor.

Last edited:
All P&S will lose to a DSLR in terms of picture quality because of the smaller sensor. Most would show quite some noise at anything >ISO400. But if you're printing at 4R only, maybe even ISO 800 would be fine.

Maybe I'm the only G10 advocate...haha..
My reasons for getting the G10 is because I already have A Canon DSLR with Flashes, which can be used on the G10.

I use the G10 for outdoor and day shots. Family shots at night with flash. The most important feature for the G10 for me is the exposure compensation dial, I can check the histogram on the screen and adjust immediately and get spot on exposure.

Also, its ability to shoot in RAW.

I've no experience with the fujifilm cameras.

Maybe the following questions can help you decide between a G10 or LX3
1) Compact pocketable camera - LX3
2) Shoot in RAW - LX3 or G10 ok. But note that you might need to correct barrel distortion of the LX3 RAW
3) Price - LX3 is cheaper
4) Off camera flash - Canon should be better, with wireless ST-E2 or off camera hotshoe cable, 580EX2, 430 EX2 etc
5) Zoom important ?- G10. But can add on Tele converter for LX3
6) Accessories - LX3 - can add on Tele & Wide angle converter
7) Shoot only Jpg? Lx3 may be slightly better
8) ISO - at low ISO, G10 wins LX3. at higher ISO >800, LX3 shows slight advantage. But if you print at 4R, probably can't tell difference
9) Lens - F2.0 important ? LX3
10) Built Quality - G10
11) Controls - G10
12) Shoot mainly Wide angle? LX3
13) More accurate White Balance - G10

Both are good buys, won't go wrong with either:)

Last edited:
Thanks Ouverture for the advice on Fuji F200EXR ...... did a search on its picture quality.....

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0902/09022304f200exrgallery.asp

quite soso leh........maybe cos its beta? lolz. but wonderful specs of the camera thou

Hey midicity, on your point 8,

8) ISO - at low ISO, G10 wins LX3. at higher ISO >800, LX3 shows slight advantage.

how is at low iso G10 > LX3 ? U mean shaper, pics clarity? or noise level? I did on research.....LX3 pictures (in terms of vibrant , cos i m a noob haha) LX3 seems to stand out more... or m i wrong? hehe

hmm i wont go to iso 800 with these cameras i think......unless for "fun photos" too much noise.

F2.0 is the poison feature of lx3, if you understand how f2.0 can help, you will understand why most of us support this camera.

basically, f2.0 allows you to take night portrait with a lesser lower iso as bigger aperature = faster shutterspeed, therefore you can take clearer and sharper night photos without that much of noise.

Non of the prosumer or pns of this compact size i know can deliver this feature.

G10 is only good if you are looking for a camera that can deliver good clarity under good lighting conditions with longer zoom.

My view of both.

G10
Adv
- Longer zoom
- Higher details, clarity when under good lighting condition (low iso).
- Inbuild flash more powerful

LX3
Adv
- Wider angle
- Better iso performance
- Very tempting big aperature F2.0 - F2.8
- More Compact

If you are an existing canon user, i would say go ahead for G10, as it shares the same accessories. If not, feel the power of Lx3.

Hi bro, i also can't resist the temptation and bought myself a black F200EXR....:sweat:

Yup, dpreview is still based on pre-production.

Probably you can find more "live" pictures from the brothers here at Fujifilm Thread...

Hi bro, i also can't resist the temptation and bought myself a black F200EXR....:sweat:

Yup, dpreview is still based on pre-production.

Probably you can find more "live" pictures from the brothers here at Fujifilm Thread...

OVERTURE,you forgot to put this link here. =)

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487046
there's some comparison on the f200 and lx3 equivalent there. G10 has stunning detail retention at iso100-400 i think, but the f2 on the lx3 might be quite cool to get the wide angle bokeh in parties or dinners.

the g10 is built like a tank and controls are for control freaks, has dedicated iso dial, ev dial,and the scroll behind is shiok. but for zooms i'll take the sx1, for night/indoor (no flash) i'll take lx3 or f200, for night/indoor with flash prolly g10.

Hi, Lx3 now, GH1 pana at
dec 2009

Hey midicity, on your point 8,

8) ISO - at low ISO, G10 wins LX3. at higher ISO >800, LX3 shows slight advantage.

how is at low iso G10 > LX3 ? U mean shaper, pics clarity? or noise level? I did on research.....LX3 pictures (in terms of vibrant , cos i m a noob haha) LX3 seems to stand out more... or m i wrong? hehe

hmm i wont go to iso 800 with these cameras i think......unless for "fun photos" too much noise.

Well, even the dpreview reviewer , who doesn't like the g10, agreed that at low ISO, where noise levels are low, the G10 pictures win because it has higher resolving power, more details because of larger megapixels in the sensor. In fact, at this point in time (14-3-2009), probably the highest resolving P&S at low ISO.
It's at higher ISO, where the noise reduction kicks in that the advantage of the higher megapixels are lost
However, if you're just printing 4R, probably not much difference between LX3 & G10

In terms of vibrancy, just select the suitable Picture Styles in Canon for your taste. There are some picture styles in canon that is too saturated for my taste.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.