g10, g11, s90 or lx3?

1500ml

Jul 22, 2008
good day all!

im looking to get a semi-pro camera for myself. after much asking around from friends and dealers, i kinda narrowed my choices to these 4 models:

canon s90
canon g10
canon g11
panasonic lx3

i did some comparison at
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...canon_s90,panasonic_dmclx3,canon_g10&show=all
but still unable to have a conclusion as to which is better or rather which one should i get.

so im hoping to get some advise from you guys.

main features im looking at are:

aperture (lx3 better with f2.0-f2.8?)
min shutter (lx3 better with 60sec?)
max shutter (g10/g11 better with 1/4000sec?)
add-ons(eg: flash)
*handling
* with s90, g10 and g11, the settings are adjusted using a turning knob. much like when handling a slr. i myself think thats a much faster way of making adjustments rather than pushing buttons like on the lx3. i was using a fuji s1000fd before and there were times whereby i missed the "golden moment" coz i spent too long adjusting the aperture/shutter. (i know it could be due to my noobness but..) any comments or opinions about the turning knobs and its pros/cons? if it does indeed makes adjustments faster and easier, it will be the main determine factor as to which camera i choose.

thanks all!

i just thought its good to have?like have more than less?haha..

Honestly you'll probably never use it on a compact, so you can leave it out of your consideration :)

What's more useful to a compact user would be things like ISO performance (not max ISO), aperture, AF performance and so on.

Last edited:
Why do you need 1/4000 max shutter?

like normal dslr also mah, maybe want to have shallow DOF, so use big aperture which will result in faster shutter speed.

i find this lacking in my canon g2 and sony f707

Last edited:
hope these questions may help u to narrow down.

what range of focal length r u looking for? more on the wide side or tele side?

is macro / close up important?

is fast aperture important?

budget?

only picture mode or u want creative mode? or even full manual mode?

is hot shoe a must?

what color of the camera? nowadays camera comes in variety of colors, to personalize so to speak.

touch screen type or traditional buttons type?

is water resistance & drop resistance important?

i noticed the 4 models dont allow as much zoom as my previous s1000fd but i dont have much preference for it.
yea important. but the 4 models are relatively the same?
ehh what's fast aperture?
budget?
if possible below 800. the lower the better haha..
no preference either coz i seldom use the creative modes.
is hot shoe a must?
another good to have function i guess.
what color of the camera? nowadays camera comes in variety of colors, to personalize so to speak.
not an important factor but i must choose it will have to be the classic black .
i have sweaty palms so prolly traditional buttons will be better.
another good to have consideration i guess.

main consideration i would say is the handling and the ease of which the settings can be adjusted. and if the turning knobs really do make a difference. :)

Why never think of the wide angle but stuff like 1/4000sec which rarely or never use?
Thought wide angle is very impt & good to have the wider the better? :think:

Why never think of the wide angle but stuff like 1/4000sec which rarely or never use?
Thought wide angle is very impt & good to have the wider the better? :think:

ahh point taken and noted. thx!

so wide angle wise s90, g10, g11's 28mm would be better than lx3's 24mm?
and tele wise g10 and g11's 140mm would be better than s90's 105mm and lx3's 60mm?

Actually for wide angle, the smaller the focal length, the more you can draw in but there are other factors to consider since the angle of view depends on the sensor size and focal length. So what you actually need to focus on is the angle of view instead of simply the focal length as the angle of view may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer even for the same focal length.

As for 1/4000, I doubt you'll ever use it even at f/2.0.

Actually for wide angle, the smaller the focal length, the more you can draw in but there are other factors to consider since the angle of view depends on the sensor size and focal length. So what you actually need to focus on is the angle of view instead of simply the focal length as the angle of view may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer even for the same focal length.

As for 1/4000, I doubt you'll ever use it even at f/2.0.

alrite so 1/4000 not important. so actually for wide angle, it should be the smaller the better? meaning the lx3 faired better in that area instead?

i noticed the sensor size. i suppose lx3's 1/6.3" is better than the canon trio's 1/1.7"?

ahh point taken and noted. thx!

so wide angle wise s90, g10, g11's 28mm would be better than lx3's 24mm?
and tele wise g10 and g11's 140mm would be better than s90's 105mm and lx3's 60mm?
im sorry but, aint 24mm wider than 28mm?

Welcome to CS :) Too bad we can't custom make our cameras. On some models, there are some functions you need it does not have & some you don't need, it comes with it. So choose those that comes with the modes/functions that you think you'll need most. You can't have it all or choose what you want

Welcome to CS :) Too bad we can't custom make our cameras. On some models, there are some functions you need it does not have & some you don't need, it comes with it. So choose those that comes with the modes/functions that you think you'll need most. You can't have it all or choose what you want

yea i understand that. as stated in my earlier posts, i wanna know if anyone had any experience with the turning knobs of the canon trio and if they are indeed more user friendly compare to normal button adjustments. guess we sidetracked a bit but its good. at least now i know more on wide angles :)

alrite so 1/4000 not important. so actually for wide angle, it should be the smaller the better? meaning the lx3 faired better in that area instead?

i noticed the sensor size. i suppose lx3's 1/6.3" is better than the canon trio's 1/1.7"?

24mm is wider than 28mm
You will almost never need to use 1/4000s
LX3 sensor size is 1/1.63"

Wide angle needed

Yes

Nope

budget?

$500-$600

Manual mode.

is hot shoe a must?

Nope

Anything

Anything too

Nope

With the above answer, can recommend me one of the camera too? I gonna get one soon too :D

good day all!

im looking to get a semi-pro camera for myself. after much asking around from friends and dealers, i kinda narrowed my choices to these 4 models:

It is called pro-sumer. Semi-pro cameras are Nikon D300, Canon 5D 7D... etc... you get the idea.

Personally, I would get the LX3. But then again, I am biased because I am a wide angle junkie.