FZ7 FULL Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

metallilan

Jan 6, 2006
Singapore
Click here : http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz7/

Hmm. Didn't really get the Highly Recommended award like the Fz5...some pointers.
* Higher than average Noise at ISO 80
* Strong color noise at ISO 200+
* Mild Chromatic aberration and corner softness in macro mode
* Mild vignetting at widest zoom setting / widest aperture
* New LCD is bright, but resolution is lower
* Occasional focus hunting at long end of zoom in low light
* Macro mode pointless - why not a macro button?
* High sensitivity mode results next to useless

looks like the noise is worse this time around...

Unfortunately, no matter how good the camera we can't let the noise issue pass; like the LX1 reviewed late last year the FZ7 exhibits an unacceptable level of noise at all ISO settings, most especially at ISO 200+. For this reason - and this reason alone - the FZ7 misses out on a Highly Recommended; let's hope Panasonic has a better sensor up its sleeve for the next generation of this otherwise superb camera. As for you - have a look at the samples gallery and decide for yourself if the noise in real-world shots is acceptable; I'd happily buy the FZ7 myself, but I wouldn't use it at over ISO 100

It is more or less the same camera with better ergonomics and features?

And a slightly higher pixel count...

Looks quite noise for ISO 200 onwards, and for ISO 800 and 1600 practically unuseable :dunno:
Too bad, a little hesitate to buy or not to buy now :sweat:

Hexlord said:
It is more or less the same camera with better ergonomics and features?

And a slightly higher pixel count...

i think the pixel count wont matter that much..its just up by one only..wont matter in prints.

anyway...im abit freaked out..cuz our no.1 rival has a new brother..

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022111canons3is.asp

StanGetz, you're so right, if Panasonic marry Fuji I think will born a perfect camera :bsmilie:

They have good and fast len, but their sensor is bad. I think Panasonic is fail in attract the prosumer user this time. Firstly, I was eager to wait for the new Panasonic, but right after reading the in-depth review from dpreview, it's a little bit disappointed.

wrx_sti_22b said:
Er... the Canon on paper spec seems better than FZ7 right? ;p
yeah, looks like, but yet to see the review :)

man...I was ready to go for this because of the 640x480 movie capability I desperately needed..but looking at it, seems the noise is worse than the FZ5!
I noticed at high ISO, noise is lower but detail is gone due to lower resolution...
I read somewhere Panasonic intends to market their own DSLR eventually in collaboration with Olympus...most certainly hope they will replace the poor noisy CCD with an olympus one

now I have second thoughts about buying the FZ7...:(

For the first time since i boughtthe lumix fz1[and still have it]...think this time the pana really let us down:(

eow said:
For the first time since i boughtthe lumix fz1[and still have it]...think this time the pana really let us down:(

it doesnt get the highly recommended award i was hoping for leh...it could have least performed better than the Fz5 in terms of noise level...

which brings us to mind what lies in store for the pansonic dslr... :dunno: but then again, we still dont know what noise levels are in the fx01 and tz1 models so... we'll have to wait and see.

i'm particularly interested to see how the S3 goes head to head with FZ7 though.

metallilan said:
it doesnt get the highly recommended award i was hoping for leh...it could have least performed better than the Fz5 in terms of noise level...

which brings us to mind what lies in store for the pansonic dslr... :dunno: but then again, we still dont know what noise levels are in the fx01 and tz1 models so... we'll have to wait and see.

i'm particularly interested to see how the S3 goes head to head with FZ7 though.
dun hope too much..as much as i hate to said it..except for the lx-1 n fz5 recently
the recent offerings from pana isn't much to rave abt

i'm sure panasonic will have a demo model at the pc show but I'm guessing there will be a looooooooooooong queue...;)

schon said:
the s3is looks awesome.

OT a bit but hope the S3 IS doesn't have the same problems as S2.
black in colour is very nice.

hmmm The canon S3IS costs approx $100 USD more, same price as the FZ30? Perhaps comparison is abit off, if against the FZ7.

So sad the FZ7 didn't make the grade for me. I will still prefer the FZ5.. LOL waiting to see the TZ1..

Status
Not open for further replies.