fz5 vd DLSR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy said:
Perhaps Josho offer to review the cam in PLUG outing is one great way to try out the what it can/cannot do .

Another is to see other's sample FZ10/20 shots, eg:
http://www.pbase.com/twg/europe_by_panasonic_fz10&page=all

personally, shooting in low light via the EVF or LCD for FZ10/20 is like aiming in total darkness, FZ20 is slightly better with the AF assist lamp. Need to shoot abt 2 shots 2 get it right.
If only, FZ uses optical view finder like that of DSLR, if only... ;)

Fully agree! Josho to review the FZ5 and post it online for all to read...... :thumbsup:

I, too, prefer optical VF. Can frame shot without powering the cam. Though it's not 100% view, the framed pic will have additional cropping space! :thumbsup:

theITguy said:
I handheld 1.5s without any OIS, IS, VR, AS nothing. Sometimes not only technic, but also luck (as in my case here :p)

True... 1/4s is my average.. My best handheld was on a mechanical film camera handheld at about 4s (estimated cause I was depressing the shutter in bulb mode). But it was quite scary because 4s is a damn long exposure for handheld and I was using film so I couldn't just preview and say "Oh, that wasn't good. Let's take it again.."

LifeWorld said:
In dslr, ISO800 is 3-stop more light sensitivity than ISO100. With OIS, FZ20's ISO 100 allows equivalent of 3-stop more light sensitivity as ISO 800(equivalent of prosumer camera).

I think it's not right to compare prosumer cam with dslr. Price alone is already a big gap!

I tend to associate ISO speeds to noise levels. Different cams produce different quality images at similar ISO levels. If the cam can take high ISO pics with acceptable noise levels at low lighting conditions, this should also be one of the prime considerations.

snowspeeder said:
I tend to associate ISO speeds to noise levels. Different cams produce different quality images at similar ISO levels. If the cam can take high ISO pics with acceptable noise levels at low lighting conditions, this should also be one of the prime considerations.

Thanks for pointer. :D

snowspeeder said:

FujiFilm's F10 has similar noise at ISO 1600 to FX7's ISO 200. In fact the FX7 is not silky smooth.

LifeWorld said:
Assuming ISO 100 is constant, f/2.8 at 1/100s is equivalent to f/1.4 at 1/25s. ISO 800 is constant, f/1.4 at 1/100s is equivalent to f/2.8 at 1/400s.

So with OIS, say it allows slower by 3-stop, the FZ20 ISO100 f/2.8 at 1/100s is equivalent to ISO800 f/1.4 at 1/100s. I would say FZ20 lens is better than the 50mm f/1.8 lens.

Moreover, 3-stop slower is an estimation. It could be slower by 4-stop.

Correct me if I calculated wrongly.

It's the other way round. f/2.8 at 1/25s is equivalent in exposure to f/1.4 at 1/100s (both at the same ISO). f/1.4 at 1/400s gives equivalent exposure to f/2.8 at 1/100s (both at the same ISO).

given a situation where there're moving subjects under low light and without the use of flash, the faster lens would allow a sharp picture of the subject to be taken, whereas a slower lens would only be able to capture motion blur with any form of images stabilisation.

mpenza said:
It's the other way round. f/2.8 at 1/25s is equivalent in exposure to f/1.4 at 1/100s (both at the same ISO). f/1.4 at 1/400s gives equivalent exposure to f/2.8 at 1/100s (both at the same ISO).

given a situation where there're moving subjects under low light and without the use of flash, the faster lens would allow a sharp picture of the subject to be taken, whereas a slower lens would only be able to capture motion blur with any form of images stabilisation.

Thanks thanks! it's my error on post #4.

Smaller Aperture use slower shutter against Bigger Aperture, faster shutter.

f/2.8 is widest Aperture in FZ20, it's smaller than f/1.4. I keep thinking it's bigger. :mad2:

mpenza said:

Also consider that a smaller aperture should give a sharper image and larger DoF compared to a larger aperture, ceteris paribus.

erm... a faster lens could always be stepped down to a smaller aperture. but a slower lens cannot be "stepped up", i.e. a fast lens could always become "slower" if required. that's why fast lenses are at a premium over slower lenses.

anyway, digicams with small image sensor will have much deeper DOF vs DSLRs at the same aperture. the diff is that DSLRs could achieve shallower DOF and also allow for deeper DOF when required.

mpenza said:
erm... a faster lens could always be stepped down to a smaller aperture. but a slower lens cannot be "stepped up", i.e. a fast lens could always become "slower" if required. that's why fast lenses are at a premium over slower lenses.

anyway, digicams with small image sensor will have much deeper DOF vs DSLRs at the same aperture. the diff is that DSLRs could achieve shallower DOF and also allow for deeper DOF when required.

erm... Not disputing what you said.. Just adding on to your comments.. =)

Howdy said:
personally, shooting in low light via the EVF or LCD for FZ10/20 is like aiming in total darkness, FZ20 is slightly better with the AF assist lamp. Need to shoot abt 2 shots 2 get it right.
If only, FZ uses optical view finder like that of DSLR, if only... ;)

is it that bad? i've been considering between getting an fz5/fz20 or d70/d7d. take photos in low light and natural light very often, is the evf of the fz that blurry such that cannot frame the picture properly??

direwuff said:
is it that bad? i've been considering between getting an fz5/fz20 or d70/d7d. take photos in low light and natural light very often, is the evf of the fz that blurry such that cannot frame the picture properly??

the evf is not that bad lah... it is grainy and all but certainly good enough for framing pictures.

wait a minute, the above is true only for daylight shots and indoors with good enough lighting.

when the room or outside is too dark, my fz1's evf really struggles. this is the way of life of using an evf... just switch to lcd mode and it is slightly better.

of course end of the day, evf CANNOT compare with thru' the lens viewfinder lah... ask those here who have switched from the fz20 over to the dark side and they will tell you.

what i love about these panasonic cameras is that with 12X Leica lens, the results is really lovely, can fight with much more expensive prosumers..... but.... only in daylight but that's a compromise i am willing to take. :)

direwuff said:

hi direwuff,

from your list of cameras, all I can say is if money is no issue, Dynax 7D :thumbsup: , CCD IS, makes every lens you get auto IS. hahaha.

Since you can spend, might as well get the DSLR instead of getting prosumer, then feel its restrictions and then move to DSLR at a loss.

direwuff said:

Actually you still can frame. Just set to F2.8 and frame. Then you change back to the f stop you want and take the photograph. If at night, you have to estimate the picture and try your luck. Bring a tripod to help you.

Cheers
John

direwuff said:

Get the D7D with matte screen upgrade then.. It's most certainly useful if you're going to need to frame a picture well and critically.
Whereas the Lumix can only magnify the center portion of the shot for focusing, a SLR camera with the apporpriate screen allows you to check the focus on any portion of the picture.

Firefox said:
Get the D7D with matte screen upgrade then.. It's most certainly useful if you're going to need to frame a picture well and critically.
Whereas the Lumix can only magnify the center portion of the shot for focusing, a SLR camera with the apporpriate screen allows you to check the focus on any portion of the picture.

According to my recent experience, I dun think so it is true.

D70 does viewfinder does have limitation too. I do have some shots where I thought it should be focusing correctly, but turn out the subject that I wanted to capture OOF.

My take is: if it is low lite, any camera will need to either use flash, up the ISO and lower the f-stop. There is no god-made camera today, let's all face the fact.

Also, this will become the beauty of photography: understanding the constraints and challenges, hence come out with innovative solutions to overcome them, and take better photos.

Keep snapping!

rhair78 said:
hi direwuff,

from your list of cameras, all I can say is if money is no issue, Dynax 7D :thumbsup: , CCD IS, makes every lens you get auto IS. hahaha.

Since you can spend, might as well get the DSLR instead of getting prosumer, then feel its restrictions and then move to DSLR at a loss.

that's what i'm thinking also.. now, how to get the money? :cry:
must sell backside... lol
that's why i'm still considering fz5 and d70.. because of the cost..

Firefox said:

yeah, no offence to PLUG but i find it really hard to manual focus with fz20 because only the centre part is magnified, it's hard to adjust when u can't see in the context of the whole picture.. of course others are more pro than me and might not have trouble with this..

direwuff said:
yeah, no offence to PLUG but i find it really hard to manual focus with fz20 because only the centre part is magnified, it's hard to adjust when u can't see in the context of the whole picture.. of course others are more pro than me and might not have trouble with this..

you just need to practice more! :)

JimDavis said:
According to my recent experience, I dun think so it is true.

D70 does viewfinder does have limitation too. I do have some shots where I thought it should be focusing correctly, but turn out the subject that I wanted to capture OOF.

My take is: if it is low lite, any camera will need to either use flash, up the ISO and lower the f-stop. There is no god-made camera today, let's all face the fact.

Also, this will become the beauty of photography: understanding the constraints and challenges, hence come out with innovative solutions to overcome them, and take better photos.

Keep snapping!

I'm talking about MF.. Heh.. I sure hope you know how to use the screen to MF if you actually bought a D7D..

Status
Not open for further replies.