FZ20 Vs FZ10 Noise comparison...must see

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightning69

Jun 9, 2004
Here are some interesting noise comparison for the 2 cams. All the pictures were taken from pro at DCviews.com sample shots with both cams set to highest resolution and lowest compression jpeg.

All the pictures are all shot at the lowest ISO setting in bright sunny days and cropped to show the blue sky.

The FZ20 has noise even at the lowest ISO80 while the FZ10 is noise free at ISO50.

The first 4 pictures are from FZ10.
FZ10crop4.jpg

FZ10crop3.jpg

FZ10crop2.jpg

FZ10crop1.jpg

[

And these were from the FZ20...

FZ20crop4.jpg

Fz20crop3.jpg

FZ20crop2.jpg

FZ20crop1.jpg

This kinda noise can be easily cleaned up by Noise Ninja without a hitch, no big deal in my opinion.

When I apply unsharp mask to the pictures, it is very interesting to see that the FZ20 pictures came out with even worst noise, while the noise from FZ10 pictures after unsharp mask are very much the same. This could be due to the higher noise and strange artifacts that the FZ20 produce from the Noise Reduction.

Again the first 4 pictures are form the FZ10
FZ10sharpen4.jpg

FZ10sharpen3.jpg

FZ10sharpen2.jpg

FZ10sharpen1.jpg

These 4 are from the FZ20 after unsharp mask.

FZ20sharpen1.jpg

FZ20sharpen2.jpg

Fz20sharpen3.jpg

FZ20sharpen4.jpg

Applying USM will obviously make noise look more obvious, which is why it is recommended that sharpening level is switched to low on most cameras if we are taking high ISO photos. Why not try removing the noise first, then applying USM?

When printing large prints or submitting to stock photography, we might have to interpolate the file to bigger size and that is why i try to increase the file size from the above pictures(before unsharp mask) to twice its size . Then I crop it reduce its file size.

Again the FZ10 pictures came out beautifully while the FZ20 produce unacceptable results.

The first 4 picture are from FZ10...

FZ10interpolate4crop.jpg

FZ10interpolate3crop.jpg

FZ10interpolate2crop.jpg

FZ10interpolate1crop.jpg

is it really the real results? seeing the image quality i think FZ20 noise level really on the high side for a ISO setting of 80.

Vulpix0r said:
This kinda noise can be easily cleaned up by Noise Ninja without a hitch, no big deal in my opinion.

Noise ninja can no doubt remove noise but at the expense of sharpness and loss of details.

At ISO80 the FZ20 seems to have visible noise and IMHO that is a serious drawback.

lightning69 said:
Noise ninja can no doubt remove noise but at the expense of sharpness and loss of details.

At ISO80 the FZ20 seems to have visible noise and IMHO that is a serious drawback.

I did not come across the noise level being so bad, using my FZ20. Could it be that FZ20 cameras sold in the States are having this problem? :confused:

lightning69 said:

I guess this is due to squeezing in more MP into the same size sensor. Agree with you on the case of noise ninja.

lightning69 said:

Uh not true. It depends on the type of noise you intend to remove, which is the noise in the sky, which can be removed easily without affecting much for the other items in the picture if you choose to. Most prosumers can't capture the whole range of color in the sky anyway.

Besides, have you printed the photos out yet yourself at 8R yet?

want to clarify

if i set to 3MP wiLL it has the same noise as 5MP???

If you examine all the FZ20 pictures with blue skies you will notice the noise. This doesn't happen on the FZ10. Actually the noise is all over the picture but that it is most easily notice in the blue skies.

Now some people may argue that the noise may not show up on 4x6 prints which I agreed. But if you do heavy cropping of the pictures, then the ugly noise will show its face.

In the end, the pictures from the FZ10 is much better out of the box as compare to the FZ20. With or without post processing the FZ10 pictures are better. The only thing that the FZ20 pictures can win over the FZ10 is the resolution i.e the image size. But the pro will tell you that it is not the megapixels that count in a picture, it is the quality of the pictures.

The FZ10 is such a popular cam for photo enthusiast because of its sharp, detail photos which can rival many more expensive cam. But it seems like the FZ20 has fail to live up to the name that the FZ10 has built.

I don't beleive FZ20 can be worse than FZ10...I think some setting problem could it be different in CCD tech ?? (think only) :)

Anyone did the same comparison between the FZ3 and FZ20? Or 3MP on the FZ20 as posted by someone else earlier.

next time ask a FZ10 user n me, we go take some similar shoots
at same setting, then the truth will be known.

Status
Not open for further replies.