FZ20 pics using 9-area-focusing - Architecture series

Status
Not open for further replies.

LifeWorld

Jan 18, 2002
East Coast
lifeworld.multiply.com
Tried the 9-area-focusing. Results not bad leh!

All pics cropped to 3:2 size. No post processing!
Camera set to:
P mode
Multi Segment metering
9-area-focusing
UV and CP filter

Capital Tower
143P1000830.JPG

Singapore White House
143P1000833.JPG

Tanjong Pagar MRT entrance
143P1000834.JPG

Old Methodist Church
143P1000835.JPG

Bro, what is 9 area focusing :dunno:

I guess FZ10 does not equip... :( only on FZ20 :sweat:

club_de_oldman said:
I guess FZ10 does not equip... :( only on FZ20 :sweat:

Could it be under page 26 of the Operating Instruction manual for FZ10? :dunno:

ithink

is auto 9-area-focusing??? no manual selection right??

'multiple' metering .... very slow compare to spot metering???

gernie said:
ithink

is auto 9-area-focusing??? no manual selection right??

'multiple' metering .... very slow compare to spot metering???

Building will not run away, why worry it is slow so long as it helps taking good photos? ;p

Hi I'm thinking of buying FZ20 also...

care to show some pics on ISO200 and ISO400 and do a 100% cropped?
:)
BTW I can't relate ur 9 area focusing with the pics u had shown..care to explain? :)

club_de_oldman said:
Bro, what is 9 area focusing :dunno:

In general, multiple metering focusing is the view is segmented into nine area, like drawing "#" (but not italic) on the view. So it results a 9-area focusing and the picture will turn out the average focusing of the 9-area. For Spot focusing, it is generally focusing on the CENTER of the view. So the result is mainly focused with the center of pic, and the rest of the pic is not so much focused as the center. But bear in mind, this is not blur background like in the Portrait mode.

Multiple focusing in general is quite good in most general shots. But if you want to "highlight" or emphasize something, Spot Metering is a better choice for such situation. Sometimes Spot Metering(or call Spot Focusing) is good when taking pics in dark places for e.g. stage show in the theatre, concert in indoor stadium....etc. Cos if you use the Multiple Metering, the result of the pic might be darken due to the surrounding darkness of the stage, concert hall ...etc. But again, different camera behaves differently. So nothing is concrete. You have to do many trials and errors to get familiarize with your camera to get the best out of it.

As for speed, I am not too sure cos I have not got my FZ20 yet. But I don't believe that there is a big difference in speed.

love my pana fz20 - only wish that it could go above ISO800 and 1/2000 :p haha with less noise *grin* - not that the noise is that bad but well... (okok! i know its a consumer cam... dont flame me k? :p heehee)

genie,
With 9-area-focusing, the camera auto picks the subject/s to focus. It displays one or two of these areas, and calculates the best focus point. With this, you do not need to move your camera. This is unlike spot focus where you point at the subject to focus, half-press shutter, and move camera to fame your pic. And yes, the speed of multiple metering and 9-area-focusing is pretty fast. Or should I say very fast. Speed differences are not noticeable between multiple and spot metering. The VE2 works very well. Very happy with it!

rainman,
Have you read the popular reveiw yet. Here are the sample pics posted by the reviewer. Help yourself to the cropping.......
FZ20
more pics

As for my pics, I used multiple metering for 'even' exposure. Notice the first pic, it was a bright sunny day. I wanted to be able to expose the lower part of the building; the 'shadow' part below the semi-circular platform. The multiple metering works in this sense. In fact the whole pic was easily well exposed by the camera!
I also wanted the whole building to be evenly focused, instead of only either the top or bottom is focused. So I used 9-area-focusing and let the camera calculate the best focus point.

Another example is the 'Corridor' pic. Same idea with it. It's well exposed isn't it?

Lastly, I find 'exposing and focusing' these pics were rather easy when using the multiple metering and 9-area-focusing features. All these shots were done once only. No need re-shot to select a good pic!!!

:thumbsup:

JimDavis said:
Could it be under page 26 of the Operating Instruction manual for FZ10? :dunno:

Only for FZ20 and not in FZ10 :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.