FZ20 or D70??

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcCcYBoi

Feb 20, 2005
Singapore
hi... hope u guys can help mi in making decision on buying a d70 or fz20... thought of getting 1 since the it show is here.... and if i got either 1 of these cameras.... wat other equipment would i need to buy?? flash.. lenses...??? :dunno:

IcCcYBoi said:
hi... hope u guys can help mi in making decision on buying a d70 or fz20... thought of getting 1 since the it show is here.... and if i got either 1 of these cameras.... wat other equipment would i need to buy?? flash.. lenses...??? :dunno:

Hmmh. What's your budget ??? If you have the $$ and really serious abt photography, go for d70. But remember to set aside a sum of $$ for lens & accessories in the long run. FZ20 belongs to SLR-like prosumer class. Both are from a very different class and pricing.
Definitely, the d70 offers more flexibility, but FZ20 is a good camera too :bsmilie:
The final decision up to you. Try out both camera, and see which will give u a better feel.

obewan said:
Hmmh. What's your budget ??? If you have the $$ and really serious abt photography, go for d70. But remember to set aside a sum of $$ for lens & accessories in the long run. FZ20 belongs to SLR-like prosumer class. Both are from a very different class and pricing.
Definitely, the d70 offers more flexibility, but FZ20 is a good camera too :bsmilie:
The final decision up to you. Try out both camera, and see which will give u a better feel.

yeah... i think budget is very important if you wanna get the D70... i just dumped about $2000 today getting the D70 and accessories... ;p

i used the FZ20 b4 too, it's way cheaper as there are not as many things you can add on to it... so think about the cost vs. the functionality... well, i succumbed to my weak will, the draw of the dark side is too great... ;p

don't be crazy, of course the D70! since you can afford it, that is... what you get is way better built quality, image quality, great feel in your hands and flexibility with interchangeable lens.

cost more, yes, but much more future proof.

if i get the D70 kit.. wat else would i need??? any recommended flash.. tripod... lenses that i need to get???

IcCcYBoi said:
if i get the D70 kit.. wat else would i need??? any recommended flash.. tripod... lenses that i need to get???

Post your qns at the Nikon forum, I'm sure u will get more help there. There are a lots of D70 photogs here.
Type of lenses to buy really depend on what you are going to shoot.
Tripod just get one that can support your D70 & its lens weight steadily, yet light enuff 4 u to carry it ard. You will change lenses & bodies when u progress, but a tripod should last you a long time. So spend more on one that is well built.
U didn't mention your budget..hehe... :bsmilie:
Seems like u hv unlimited $$....jus joking...

frenchbean said:
yeah... i think budget is very important if you wanna get the D70... i just dumped about $2000 today getting the D70 and accessories... ;p

i used the FZ20 b4 too, it's way cheaper as there are not as many things you can add on to it... so think about the cost vs. the functionality... well, i succumbed to my weak will, the draw of the dark side is too great... ;p

Well when u start having DSLR, u will join in the BUY BUY BUY mood.. realli no joke..
i been buying "new" things every month. quite sad.... and poor. consider carefully.

IcCcYBoi said:
Ask yrself wat u like to shoot first.
Different lens will cater for diff needs.
the kit lens and a flash is a must.
i dun comment here which to buy cos there are too many discussions over the flash issue.

haha... okok... guess i'll haf to think through... i think my budget is below $2500??? :bsmilie:

IcCcYBoi said:
haha... okok... guess i'll haf to think through... i think my budget is below $2500??? :bsmilie:

i'm no D70 user.. but i believe that budget of yours...
is MORE than enough to get urself the kit and an external flash... :sweat:

IcCcYBoi said:
"still got" some hidden cost 1.... unseen things...
quite hard to tell u.
u need to "feel" the darkside!

D70 of course since yr budget is enough. low noise & bigger sensor, sharper pics due to lens. 1/500 flash sync. RAW pics. ;p

jnet6 said:
Well when u start having DSLR, u will join in the BUY BUY BUY mood.. realli no joke..
i been buying "new" things every month. quite sad.... and poor. consider carefully.

yeah.. that's very true... my $2000 onli includes the D70 kit, tripod, bag, 70-300 lens, 2GB CF card.... still got so much i wanna get, like a macro lens, flash, and filters, but i think gotta wait till next year's budget liao... hehe...

and 1 thing, i realise that filters are real expensive man.... sianz.... :sweat:

IcCcYBoi said:

suggest you get the promotion kit for $1999 at the pc show, together with the zoom lens for additional $88. that gives you a very good focal length coverage already.

as for items such as tripod and flash, suggest you get them later on, after you get used to the D70, then decide how much you wanna spend.

$2500 should be able to get you some of the basic equipments.
D70 body with kit lens, a tripod, spare batteries, CF cards, flash etc.
I don't really know the exact budget, but that's what I think you should be able to get for that amount of cash. It might be slightly more due to hidden cost of accessories and maintenance fee.

Once you got the basic equipment, it is time to play around and familiarise with them. Go more outings and shooting to improve on your skill rather than just keep buying. Always ask yourself some qns before purchasing.
What am I going to use it for ? Will I be using it often ? Did it exceeds my budget or requirement ?

Tell yourself I'm a photog, and not a lens collector... haha :bsmilie:
$$ is hard-earned so spend wisely :angel:

Step into the dark side if you think you're game enough for it. :devil:
I think if you are committed to spend a lot of time to get to know about photography, a DLSR system is the way to go. Most people who don't spend enough tme will eventually find the learning curve to be very steep.

Just as there are many things to learn, there are also plenty of accessories to acquire as you progess in your DSLR system journey. So be prepared to invest as time goes on.

Hmmh... :think: I can sense the force on the Dark Side is strong. :sweat:

thanx for all the advice guys... so should i get the d70 kit at the shops or get it at the it show??? still quite undecided on this... dunno which package is better... haiz... :cry:

IcCcYBoi said:
thanx for all the advice guys... so should i get the d70 kit at the shops or get it at the it show??? still quite undecided on this... dunno which package is better... haiz... :cry:
Hai... u go to the exhibition and try get the list of things u wan to get, take down the price.

next go to shops like cathay, John3:16, as for a price too, compare see which things u need, and the freebies...

honestly... it doesn really matter...
if you are really into this area, you will spend much more eventually...
so there's no need to see which package is better etc etc..
cos the difference wouldn be THAT great either, if you really want it, and u already have e budget for it, then go ahead and BUY it and HAVE FUN with it!

don't think too much into getting good packages... =)

Status
Not open for further replies.