FZ20-How to take a sharp night shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmymy

Sep 14, 2004
CCK
www.flickr.com
Was playing with the FZ20. Tried the night scenery mode with the o.i.s ON to mode 2. Seems like image still blur leh. I tried to keep my hand movement as low as possible liao.

It's pretty hard to keep your hand veri stationery while waiting for the cam to finalise the shot with the slow shutter speed. Any recommendation on how to improve on this?

Thx for any reply.

majere2sg said:
Use a tripod.. even with IS, you can only take photo up to about 3 stops slower. Also it depends on each individual...

i see. guess i still need to use a tripod after all.

AdamGoi said:
Also dun forget the DOF, i.e. set as high aperture value on camera as possible. ;)

heh, good recommendation. i switched to manual operation and adjusted the shutter and aperture myself. Turned out better than the night mode. Thx! :)

learn how to handheld steady shot!! :)

maybe the way how to hold a camera :) hahahah
:embrass:

mpenza said:
use a tripod. IS is no substitue for tripods.

I used tripod for night shots. Still turn out bad! Setting plays a part too. Have not tried Adam's tip yet. Still struggling with the manual.

LifeWorld said:
I used tripod for night shots. Still turn out bad! Setting plays a part too. Have not tried Adam's tip yet. Still struggling with the manual.

ermm what is wrong, the pics turn out blur or ?
Could it be that your tripod is not stable ? Did you use any remote or cable control ? Because when you depress your shutter button, you might shake the camera together with the tripod a bit.

LifeWorld said:

Bad? Describe it? Soft or is it just blurr. If it's the former, try to apply USM as some cameras are known to have soft images out of the camera.

If it's the latter, use the remote if possible to minimise camera shake instead of pressing the shutter button.

First, you have to determine if its blurred caused by handshake or just shallow DOF. In any case, its just not wise to leave the tripod out for night scenery even with IS. Don't develop the misconception of thinking IS can solve all your problems in low light conditions. Manufacturers' recommendation of 2 or 3 stops gain with IS does come with unwritten conditions. You have to know the limit you can handhold.

AdamGoi said:
Bad? Describe it? Soft or is it just blurr. If it's the former, try to apply USM as some cameras are known to have soft images out of the camera.

If it's the latter, use the remote if possible to minimise camera shake instead of pressing the shutter button.

It was sharp. However, the dark looks patchy at original size. Sky remains dark when zoomed. See here and here. :dunno:

LifeWorld said:
It was sharp. However, the dark looks patchy at original size. Sky remains dark when zoomed. See here and here. :dunno:

I don't see patchy sky. Don't quite know what you meant by sky remains dark when zoomed either. If the sky is completely dark at the time of shooting, what else do you expect?

Kit said:
I don't see patchy sky. Don't quite know what you meant by sky remains dark when zoomed either. If the sky is completely dark at the time of shooting, what else do you expect?

Hmm... I mean at original size, can see the pixelated shade of lighter black. Perhaps that's normal for dark night sky. :dunno:

do FZ20 have infinity focus???

landscape scene??

gernie said:
do FZ20 have infinity focus???

landscape scene??

It has continuous AF. Are you referring to focus to infinity? It could do that. :think:
Preset scene are:
Portrait
Sports
Scenery (Landscape)
Night Scenery
Night Portrait
Panning
Fireworks
Party
and Snow.

There are two programmeable scene mode/setting on the mode dial. :thumbsup:

LifeWorld said:

I feel it's a matter of your shutter speed (exposure) setting try a exposure like 4s or longer, and in the case of the panasonic FZ20, you may also want to compensate the exposure by a couple of stops. Try also taking 3 shots using the auto bracketting mode, to compare the difference, to help you gauge better.

$0.02. ;)

Can you post your picture so we can see what is the problem.

Another way to minimise shake is, while on the tripod, and you don't have the remote cable, use the 2s timer.

another 2c worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.