FZ10 vs. FZ20 vs. FZ5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

niteblu

Jan 4, 2004
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a potential Lumix photog newbie, and could do with some advice before I take the plunge.

i) Does the price difference between an FZ10 & FZ20 ($700 vs $900) warrant choosing the FZ20 over its older sibling?

What are the primary tradeoffs?

ii) I read about the FZ5, and it seems like a great alternative to the FZ10/20 when it does come out. Given the big size difference. Both lenses are 12x, but one is significantly larger than the other.

Is there a tradeoff? Any thoughts?

iii) I checked out both whilst at a shop recently, and I felt that the polycarbonate body felt quite flimsy compared to the Olympus 40xx, 50xx series that I've handled.

Any insights on the FZ series durability?

Any insight would be very much appreciated!
Cheers

I think FZ10 no more in production liao.

the fz10 isn't in production anymore. yes.
but its still available in the retail market.
for a price cheaper than fz20

hence my question. which to get?

thanks josho. great to hear you're using the fz20.

Out of production yes, but still on the shelves in shops.

I've seen the fz20 go for about $900+ in shops
let's say you can buy the fz10 for $200 less.
Would you still go for the fz20 or the fz10?

(i know the main differences grip, button location, 5mp vs 4mp) but anything more worrysome? or should i opt to save the $200, cos the differences are not that major.

Well, i guess its up to one's own preference. If budget is your main concern, then work within it and see which would fit. For me, fz10 came out, i got no money to buy, when i had money, fz20 came out, so i bought the newer version. I did not use the FZ10 before so cannot really compare for you. But surely there will be differences/improvements made in the newer model, so up to you to decide if you are willing to pay for it.

However, both cameras are capable of churning out equally great/professional pictures in the hands of seasoned users. :)

If you know how to control and manupulate FZ20 in order to reduce noise, I think it is certainly more worth while to take FZ20.

- FZ 10 does not have remote shuttle release.
- FZ 10 has a combined A/S/M mode, while FZ20 seperate them (I think)
- FZ 10 does not have some new features, which are very good for photographers while FZ 20 has.

Mega-pixes is not really an issue to any one of us, both FZ10 and FZ20 have known low light shooting challenge.

This is only my 2-cent worth of comparison. :)

niteblu said:
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a potential Lumix photog newbie, and could do with some advice before I take the plunge.

i) Does the price difference between an FZ10 & FZ20 ($700 vs $900) warrant choosing the FZ20 over its older sibling?

What are the primary tradeoffs?

ii) I read about the FZ5, and it seems like a great alternative to the FZ10/20 when it does come out. Given the big size difference. Both lenses are 12x, but one is significantly larger than the other.

Is there a tradeoff? Any thoughts?

iii) I checked out both whilst at a shop recently, and I felt that the polycarbonate body felt quite flimsy compared to the Olympus 40xx, 50xx series that I've handled.

Any insights on the FZ series durability?

Any insight would be very much appreciated!
Cheers

FZ 5 does not have manual focus and hot shoe while FZ10 and FZ20 have...It is all up to you to see if you really want to take full control of your cam, or that you do not bother to do manual focus.

go for fz20... im a current fz20 user... i've used fz10 b4.... fz20 is certainly much better than fz10, with more MB you can crop it later too..... as for fz3 and fz5... hmmm i think its not available in singapore.. only in auz and U.S. i think... go for fz20... fz10 is not being manufactured anymore means that support for it is also very limited... (company had a HP printer that was no longer manufactured, warranty still stands but they say no more spare parts for support..) go for fz20...

Forget about FZ4,5 as without external flash, your indoor shots will be poor as these cam are not having optical view finder.
Based on your budget, u can decide FZ10 or FZ20. However, understand the CMOS life span is about 5-7 years, FZ20 may worth the $200 more.

I have upgraded from FZ10 to FZ20 as I do not intend to get DSLR and the FZ20 new features like TIFF, focus assist lamp, etc appeals to me. Also I can reuse the metal adapter tube(62mm), macro len and other accessaries(extra battery, SD) - sharing with my daughter's FZ1.

Otherwise the FZ10 is still a great cam to own, have lots of fun with it. Great zoom, Leica len, mega OIS, etc....

see below URL on upgrade from FZ10 to FZ20.
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=95301&highlight=fz20

Hi niteblu!

Before you throw your cash in FZ20 or any camera for that matter, do read the reviews of the PROS/CONS, and look out for things that are important to you, e.g battery life, lens range, OIS, aesthetics, etc.

There are many cameras in this range now, that have mega zoom, image stabilisation etc, carl-zeiss lens, nikkor, zuiko, etc.

Go to the shops and ask them for a few cameras to feel it, shoot it and dun ever rush or be rushed.

I made a dreadful mistake that I hope no other photographer should make :lovegrin:

how i arrive on the conclusion to get the fluzi was that once i confirmed the features that i want my would-be cam to have, i dwelled on every single negative points of it...
the thing is whether i could live with the bad points of the cam....
high noise ratio...proprietry battery...62mm sized filters (if u intend on the Raynox, then this wont be an issue)...just to name a few...

i dont suppose there is a perfect cam...its up to individual to fully utilize the features of the cam itself...

wow guys... thanks for the flurry of input. i really appreciate all your quick and well reasoned responses. this is nothing short of admirable!

it has been a bit difficult to find good unbiased advice between these models. but i've definitely found a right here.

i'm actually using an olympus C4040 right now, coming from a whole family of olympus users. (dad uses a c5050). but the 3x zoom can be quite limiting.

:thumbsup:

I was thinking of sticking with my olympus. but am very much leaning towards a fluzi, just judging by the community that has been built around it. it takes a special camera to evoke opinionated passion.

I, too, was in this situation once. Was deciding between FZ3 and FZ20. Bear with the size and ended with manual focus and other extra features with the FZ20. Best of all got my 'wanted' colour - black.

For those intending to buy, just note that it may or may not carry Leica lenses for future models. The LS and LZ series aren't Leica lenses liao.

Hi Niteblu,

You really have to decide what you want....as every one's point is valid is someway or another. For me, I went for the FZ10, knowing that the FZ20 will be coming out...as hoping price will drop with the news of FZ20 being launch, but too bad, price did not even bulge. Than, the price was S$850 for FZ10 vs S$1099 of the FZ20. so I went for the FZ10....did not, or rather have not regreted my decision.

So in the end, you have to work out your cost/benefit analysis and see what you can get with the budget you have. Are you getting accessories? Additional cards? batteries? Flash? Adapters? All within budget? Do you intend to post process? (if so, more MP better else, if only print 4R, 3MP is more than sufficient) etc. etc etc.....

FZ20... Buy, buy buy!
The FZ5 Leica lens not F/2.8 throughout anymore.

it a wonderful thing 2 own. But i a FZ20 user. But u can choose others.

FZ20 is more than FZ5 & FZ10.

You know why? Simple cos (FZ)10 + (FZ)5 = (FZ)15 . FZ20 alone is more than those both!!! :bsmilie:

But the main reason, back to serious business, is that I am using FZ20 too!!! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.