Fz 50 Vs Fz 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

paperseal

Jun 13, 2007
Tiong bahru
as topic .. anyone gt any idea which will be a better buy?:dunno:

one has a hotshoe mount, the other doesnt.
besides this, anything else significantly differs between these 2?
i'd choose the FZ-18 for the lens more flexible wide-angle and telephoto reach.

looking for wide angle > fz18
looking for more control > fz50, otherwise wait for fz50 replacement. :bsmilie:

hmm like how long will the replacement come ? any idea??

looking for wide angle > fz18
looking for more control > fz50, otherwise wait for fz50 replacement. :bsmilie:

what extra control does the fz50 has, that fz18 dont? :think:

what extra control does the fz50 has, that fz18 dont? :think:

zoom on lens, for one.

Consider a DSLR instead of either of these.

fz 50 ccd is bigger

pricing not out yet right ? but seems like fz50 more powerful

The FZ18 is similar to the FZ8 except it has x18 zoom and face detection.
There is a review at dpreview on the canon S5IS that ompares it with the FZ8.
Apparently, the Lumix's lens is much better and picture quality shows. As usual, noise performance is not on par but the reviewer did note the Lumix at ISO100 appear to have lesser noise. I am pretty sure the new FZ50 would be the same except or the same enhancements as in the FZ18, i.e. X18 zoom and face detection.
If the new FZ50 prices are sub $800, perhaps still worth taking a look. Otherwise you could have gotten a Pentax DSLR for a little bit more and get full SLR performance (with built in stabilisation).
I previously owned the FZ5 and FZ7 but have since sold them off. The only feature I missed is their stabilised x48 zoom! ;)

one has a hotshoe mount, the other doesnt.
besides this, anything else significantly differs between these 2?
i'd choose the FZ-18 for the lens more flexible wide-angle and telephoto reach.

Lets be realistic, with prices of DSLR and P&S so close these days (cheapest Pentax DSLR K100D is $860, Nikon D40 $999), the only reason you want to buy a P&S is for portability, compactness and idiot-proof settings. Having to need to insert a flash means its better to just move to a DSLR because your entire setup would be big...

Actually other than the above there's an additional reason of long term savings. Buying a FZ Lumix (or any other prosumer) is pretty much a buy all end all with a fantastic zoom range that satisfy almost everyone (unless u shoot wildlife or is a PI by profession then buy teleconvertors...). The lenses on these prosumers are high quality designs at that. Buying a DSLR however is only the beginning with lenses to buy in the future, other stuff like battery grips etc. The person buying the prosumer is very different from the DSLR buyer IMO. The ability to add a flash is a plus, of course one doesn't neccessary have to use it, but its a capability thats nice to have nonetheless (ever tried runway/fashion/portrait photography without a flashgun?).

Actually other than the above there's an additional reason of long term savings. Buying a FZ Lumix (or any other prosumer) is pretty much a buy all end all with a fantastic zoom range that satisfy almost everyone (unless u shoot wildlife or is a PI by profession then buy teleconvertors...). The lenses on these prosumers are high quality designs at that. Buying a DSLR however is only the beginning with lenses to buy in the future, other stuff like battery grips etc. The person buying the prosumer is very different from the DSLR buyer IMO. The ability to add a flash is a plus, of course one doesn't neccessary have to use it, but its a capability thats nice to have nonetheless (ever tried runway/fashion/portrait photography without a flashgun?).

Actually I've tried portrait photography with just a 50 1.4, and it can be alright.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.