FZ 28 Vs 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zicheos

Jun 22, 2008
I thought FZ 28 would've been the next camera I'd move on to however having to play with the FZ 50 for a while I realise there are still pros to this model back in 2006. I have no intentions of using external flash (mainly because I'm on a tight budget) and the G1 would be too much for me to handle.

Deciding factors between FZ 28 and FZ 50:

Manual focus - ring vs joystick (I didn't find the zoom on FZ 28 but FZ50's uses ring to zoom as well)

Screen size - FZ 28 has a bigger screen size

Flippable screen - FZ 50 only

First impressions of both cameras were positive on me but I don't know how these factors would affect me in the long run. Any opinions on these two?

I thought FZ 28 would've been the next camera I'd move on to however having to play with the FZ 50 for a while I realise there are still pros to this model back in 2006. I have no intentions of using external flash (mainly because I'm on a tight budget) and the G1 would be too much for me to handle.

Deciding factors between FZ 28 and FZ 50:

Manual focus - ring vs joystick (I didn't find the zoom on FZ 28 but FZ50's uses ring to zoom as well)

Screen size - FZ 28 has a bigger screen size

Flippable screen - FZ 50 only

First impressions of both cameras were positive on me but I don't know how these factors would affect me in the long run. Any opinions on these two?

I think you know my answer.... FZ50.... :)

I think you know my answer.... FZ50.... :)

I've been stalking your thread about FZ 50 so yeah I know; I really like the ring focus and flippable screen but in your opinion if I have no use for an external flash, would it still be win over FZ 28?

I look at your thread and you're like making full use of it! I on the other hand is just a newbie who is crawling out of an entry level camera :bsmilie:

I've been stalking your thread about FZ 50 so yeah I know; I really like the ring focus and flippable screen but in your opinion if I have no use for an external flash, would it still be win over FZ 28?

I look at your thread and you're like making full use of it! I on the other hand is just a newbie who is crawling out of an entry level camera :bsmilie:

I was/am a newbie when I first started with my FZ50, I think ultimately it really depends of what you plan to shot. The FZ28 is a good small "prosumer-like" camera, which couple with a great 18x Leica lens that take great photos from 27mm~486mm. Hence this make it an all-rounder camera in most occasions. Both cameras are great "daytime" camera. And if you are not planning to spend much money on accessories, the FZ28 is the Panasonic camera to get.

However having said that, given a choice personal, I would still choose the FZ50 as excel in certain areas compared to the FZ28. For example if you are plan to take on event shooting, if you are not early enough to stand in the front row, you have basically two choose for shooting, either bring a small ladder with you (and stand at the back) or use the flip screen & LiveView for your composition (for me taking the ladder with around is abit of an hassle.Some may debate that the FZ28 come with a "High Angle Mode" with a 2.7 inch LCD, however having owned the TZ15 (3 inch LCD), from my experience this feature is still not comparable to the FZ50(2 inch) flip LCD.:thumbsup:

A question to all, on a megazoom (like FZ28/FZ50), given a choice how often do you use the LCD for full-tele composition instead of the EVF? :think: Furthermore on the FZ50 you would get the exact zoom you want and not needing to "play" with the zoom lever like on the FZ28 (try a movie zooming on a FZ28, and you would know the meaning of slow zooming). :bsmilie:

Having mention all the above, they are just my personal (one-sided) option and some FZ28 owner may disagree with me. Hence I think it would be best to listen to their take on this two models. :cool:

agree w/ anson 'cos i oso haf a FZ50... :bsmilie: LOL

but 1 thing like i stated in my other post... low light performance is pretty bad... i can't rem if it's an inherent feature of all panny cams or just the 50...

however, i rem browsing thru some articles from dpreview abt newer cams n seems like panny did make some improvements regarding tis aspect...

edit: anson, regarding ur qn... i prefer using LCD all the time... 1 minor aspect of the cam was that I wished it had optical VF instead of EVF... but hey, wat do i noe...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.