FZ-18 is out! 28-504mm Leica lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

michhy

Oct 21, 2005
:) found it at dpreview.com

major attractive points include:
28-504mm leica lens (that's 18x zoom, and 28mm wide angle)
3 fps burst at full resolution (until card full)
very long battery life
venus-III engine (hate it or love it?)

small compact wide angle zoom..:)
guess the next announcement will be the lx-3:kiss:

:) found it at dpreview.com

major attractive points include:
28-504mm leica lens (that's 18x zoom, and 28mm wide angle)
3 fps burst at full resolution (until card full)
very long battery life
venus-III engine (hate it or love it?)

It's actually 4.6-82.8mm Leica lens on a 1/2.5" sensor (meaning 28mm-504 equivalent field of view on 35mm format).

This focal length range lens on a 1/2.5" sensor is similar to the Olympus SP-550UZ. Hopefully, this FZ18 does not perform similarly to the Olympus SP-550UZ which was, in my opinion, pretty bad in image quality and focusing speed in certain situations.

Again, noise at ISO 400 and above is usually an issue with such small sensor.

if it can deliver close to "noise-free + great detail" images at ISO400, it gonna be a winner. ;p

if it can deliver close to "noise-free + great detail" images at ISO400, it gonna be a winner. ;p

If it's Fujifilm's newest generation Super HR CCD image sensor on this camera, then this FZ18 is likely to be a winner by a large margin in the prosumer category. ;p

(But then, Fujifilm's prosumer camera's sensors are 1/1.6"-1/1.7" and 4.6-82.8mm Leica lens would be about 21mm-370mm .....good for wide angle).

1/2.5" and 8MP. Noise will be an issue as usual. There's only so much the Venus III engine can handle. But still, for the focal range, i might just consider... if the price is reasonable of course!

small compact wide angle zoom..:)
guess the next announcement will be the lx-3:kiss:

almost all new lumix cameras are 28mm on the wide end now...lx3 may get wider (24mm?) to differentiate the product and also compete with Ricoh GX100.

good thing panasonic didn't squeeze the sensor to become a 12 megapixel noise monster...:bsmilie:

almost all new lumix cameras are 28mm on the wide end now...lx3 may get wider (24mm?) to differentiate the product and also compete with Ricoh GX100.

good thing panasonic didn't squeeze the sensor to become a 12 megapixel noise monster...:bsmilie:

still have my fz1 with me .....my first love...looking fwd to the next lx release..else this model looking very tempting..

I'd believe the 12MP sensor will be reserved for the next top of the line Lumix?;) (as long as they find a way to combat the noise that is)

I'd believe the 12MP sensor will be reserved for the next top of the line Lumix?;) (as long as they find a way to combat the noise that is)

alas i expect the FZ50 successor with have everything the FZ18 has to boast (lens formula, intelligent auto mode) with a 12mp sensor :confused: and the very nice manual focus ring (i miss my FZ30) and articulating lcd screen. even if they bring over the new sensor from the FX100...i doubt noise or watercolour effects will leave the lumix series.

that or they will just release a budget DSLR :bsmilie:...L10 anyone?

most people fail to notice that panasonic cameras has one of the faster autofocus and shortest shutter lags among other prosumer cameras. also, the burst rate is highly impressive, 3fps at full res. it's pretty good. :thumbsup:

This model should make Olympus dump the stupid xD format once n for all...:thumbsup:

I think the performance FZ18 shd be quite similar with FZ8 plus few features:
1. Wide angle (28mm)
2. Tele zoom (504mm)
3. More megapixels

I think I still keep my FZ7 :sweat:

The only thing that puts me off is the noise level even at low iso !!

Nevertheless, the 28mm wide is a useful feature.

well the venus III prosumers have very little noise at all ISO levels...at the same time also very little detail left from NR :bsmilie:

hope they go easy on the NR for the next batch of cameras..esp the lx 2 successor

Well I personally felt that making an issue out of the noise is like making a mountain out of a molehill... or something like that ;p

Well I personally felt that making an issue out of the noise is like making a mountain out of a molehill... or something like that ;p

i tend to agree with this, because i almost NEVER shoot at anything other than ISO 100 (base) anyway. :dunno:

Hmmm, I'm currently using FX9 ultra-compact. Thought of upgrading to DSLR, so its either Canon or Nikon. But this new Panasonic FZ18 looks very tempting especially the zoom and specification.

I personally think Panasonic has a good image since I own one. Plus Noise does comes out sometimes but that doesnt disturb me at all.

So should I go for a DSLR or FZ18 Prosumer? since i'm still a newbie in DSLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.