FZ 10 vs FZ 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

quinton

Feb 23, 2005
Hi guys,

as I'm interested to make my first enthusiast photography camera, I was wonder how do you guys rate the fz10 and fz 20. Does the price diff justify the difference in performance, quality, and features?

also, is the FZ 10 still retailing? is so, any ideas how much? THanks for any help in advance :)

I have some link on FZ20. Maybe you can take a read.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=114412
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=112920

FZ20 is 5MP and more noise then FZ10. Aint sure whether there are stock for FZ10.

THere are alittle improvement of features on FZ20, such as Scene Shot.
The grip on FZ20 is much better then 10.

I do not know the retail price of FZ10, but maybe you can drop by at the camera shop and ask. If not, go to BEST DENKI and take alook since there are display set.

Hope that help you. Cheers.

quinton said:
Hi guys,

as I'm interested to make my first enthusiast photography camera, I was wonder how do you guys rate the fz10 and fz 20. Does the price diff justify the difference in performance, quality, and features?

also, is the FZ 10 still retailing? is so, any ideas how much? THanks for any help in advance :)

Hi quinton,
I have not tried on the FZ10. Been using FZ20. Been very happy with it. However, I think both perform equally well. Either one you shall be happy with! There's also the new FZ5. Only it has no manual focus.Hope you join us real soon. Good luck.

I'm using a FZ20. Some said FZ20 picture is noisier than FZ10. Go to www.dpreview.com and download the full picture and compare.

Some said FZ20 is noisy even at ISO80. For me it is not something I'm bother with and the noise level is acceptable.

If you wan a cheap second hand camera, get FZ-10 cheap... i think second hand price is around 600 - 700... i think Firefox selling one. Erm, if you prefer to get a first hand one, then u r left with FZ-20, FZ-10 stop production long ago...

Good camera to start with, me photography idiot can produced nice photos with FZ-10, i am sure u can...

There is not much difference between 10 and 20... Just that 20 got more user friendly option... so called optimised for users... heee... for the 300 difference in price... i would still go for a fz-10 cos the difference in quality of the picture produced is not that much...

Saw the reviews on both the FZ 10/20 in PC Magazine S'pore, April/Oct 04 resp. For your reading pleasure n hope this helps. :)

17478fz_10_review_2.jpg

17478fz_20_review_2.jpg

oooh wow!! I'm impressed by the amount of help!! :) thanks a bunch guys.. I'll most likely be getting the fz10 from firefox... tho I wished the fz10 had 28mm wide angle... I read that it's only 35mm... wonder if 35mm is wide enuf to take those kinda panaromic wide angle shots...

quinton said:
oooh wow!! I'm impressed by the amount of help!! :) thanks a bunch guys.. I'll most likely be getting the fz10 from firefox... tho I wished the fz10 had 28mm wide angle... I read that it's only 35mm... wonder if 35mm is wide enuf to take those kinda panaromic wide angle shots...

Heh... I do have the Olympus Wide Angle convertor to convert the widest to 28mm (35mm equiv.). It's not required to make paranomic shots.
What it does is to give a larger FoV. Hence, you won't have to move back as much to get more into the picture.
Another effect it has on the FZ-10 is that it allows you to take closeups much closer to the object..

Most of the paranomic shots are actually multiple pictures stitched together using software (the FZ-10 package does include ARCsoft PanaromicMaker on CD).

Guys, how about FZ1 & FZ20?

A used no warranty 1 to 2 years old FZ1 is around $350 to $400 with some
accessories like UV filter, batteries, extra SD card.
A new standard package FZ20 with warranty, free 256MB SD + case + LCD
Protect or at $912 (after GST).

For FZ10, pice in the used market is around $700 to $750 for a no warranty set.
Saw Best Denki selling a displayed set for $699. Check with the sale guy and
was told that it haven been displayed for around 6 months.
So if getting a used no warranty FZ10 now, will be better to top up another
$200 for teh FZ20.
So FZ10 is not in my list unless still with warranty.

I know it is heaven & earth between FZ1 & FZ20 but still need to know which
to get as both got 12X optical.

donchua said:
Guys, how about FZ1 & FZ20?

A used no warranty 1 to 2 years old FZ1 is around $350 to $400 with some
accessories like UV filter, batteries, extra SD card.
A new standard package FZ20 with warranty, free 256MB SD + case + LCD
Protect or at $912 (after GST).

For FZ10, pice in the used market is around $700 to $750 for a no warranty set.
Saw Best Denki selling a displayed set for $699. Check with the sale guy and
was told that it haven been displayed for around 6 months.
So if getting a used no warranty FZ10 now, will be better to top up another
$200 for teh FZ20.
So FZ10 is not in my list unless still with warranty.

I know it is heaven & earth between FZ1 & FZ20 but still need to know which
to get as both got 12X optical.

U may have to consider something. FZ1 does not have Hot shoe which mean U cant have ext flash. FZ20 definetly had more function then FZ1. And no manual focus. :D

josho said:
U may have to consider something. FZ1 does not have Hot shoe which mean U cant have ext flash. FZ20 definetly had more function then FZ1. And no manual focus. :D

I am aware of those things.
That why I am stuck in whether to invest another $500 to $600 to get
the FZ20 with better function and warranty. :think:

donchua said:

If u think you wun go much further, go for FZ1. If you think u wanna play more on ur cam. FZ20 of coz the ideal cam for u. ;)

donchua said:
hi donchua, it doesn't matter which one you are getting, if you are a starter, get something within your budget and start from there. cos' down the road you'll end up buying more and more accessories (like me). Let say if your budget is S$500, fix it at the budgeted price inclusive of all the extra.

There is no end if you are chasing the technology. :)

awongkk said:
hi donchua, it doesn't matter which one you are getting, if you are a starter, get something within your budget and start from there. cos' down the road you'll end up buying more and more accessories (like me). Let say if your budget is S$500, fix it at the budgeted price inclusive of all the extra.

There is no end if you are chasing the technology. :)

Josho, i guess u will 100% agree with this statement... haaa...

I guess FZ-10 and FZ-20 have not much difference in performance. See our photos, you will realise there is no way that an amatuer can tell between a FZ-10 or 20 picture... maybe experts oso cannot tell...

Hong Jia said:
Josho, i guess u will 100% agree with this statement... haaa...

I guess FZ-10 and FZ-20 have not much difference in performance. See our photos, you will realise there is no way that an amatuer can tell between a FZ-10 or 20 picture... maybe experts oso cannot tell...

:bsmilie: When I submitted my photo for the international salon exhibition, people asked me what system do i use for shooting, when I told them I only using a prosumer FZ10, they :bigeyes: and were surprise by the result.

If you have a steady hand and the DOF and exposure is correct, even a S$10 paper box camera will produce excelent photo. :)

Most of the picture are soft when came out straight from the digital cam, you will still need to go through the post processing. ( Like sharpening, contrast and etc..) Not many cam can produce perfect out of the cam output, at least for prosumer.

If the photo came out not as expected by you, don't blame the camera, blame the one behind the cam. :bsmilie: Just my 2 cents..

josho said:
If u think you wun go much further, go for FZ1. If you think u wanna play more on ur cam. FZ20 of coz the ideal cam for u. ;)
nobody know how far you can go or you wanna go in photography, you might think you wanna go that far but as time goes by you might cool off liao. And you think you only want this at this time, maybe just minutes after you bought the cam, you already started to feel that you should have bought that.. :cry: .

Just know what you want, not what people say.
Try to work within you budget.

Nothing personel Josho, just to give my humble experience when buying a cam.

I have upgraded from FZ1 to FZ10 and now FZ20, so can share a bit....

Was attracted by FZ1 bcos of the Leica len and the 12x optical zoom + stabaliser, was not really excited abt the 2mp though. At the 2003 Sep/Oct Comtech show, it was offered at $599 with free 128mb SD + tripot + softcase. with option to buy a x2 len @S$99. couldn't resist so got one.

Later upgraded to FZ2 via firmware upgrade that enable shuttle speed - 1/2000 to 8sec & aperture Priority.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fz1.html

When FZ10 came out 3 months later, I was kicking my butt for not waiting a while longer. So I got a 2nd hand FZ10 - 4MP, manual control, external flash hotshoe, histogram ....
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fz10.html

On hind sight, seems like Panasonic was clearing FZ1 to get ready for FZ10.

When FZ20 came out last year, I could not resist so I sold my FZ10 and upgraded @S$910 only softcase and cam - good things other accessaries like adapter tube, filter, etc can be reused.
Main feature - 5MP, Focus-Assist Illuminator , TIFF format, etc.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fz20.html

Still not fully explored the cam. was having much fun with the fantastic zoom since FZ1 and enjoy the convenience of one cam with min maintenance and ease of use + stabaliser....+ the famous moon shot that shows surface craters...

-ve point - noisy esp with high ISO, difficult to focus in dark indoor environment, etc - but I just love the ultra zoom and ease of use.

So like some CS member says, depending on your needs and budget - compare each features and get the one that suits u, you will enjoys it anyhow and after a while when u get better, u will upgrade accordingly.

p/s many other brands also have silimar features like stabaliser, ultra optical zoom etc & other features but I have not look other direction yet.

See this upgrader's comment(though with some commercial tone):
FZ10 :
http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/DMC...est_Photos.html
FZ20 :
http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Pan...x_DMC-FZ20.html

Do some read/research into other brands cam before you decide which is most suitable 4 yr needs. Take yr time lower price and better features cam are always on the way - Have fun ;)

awongkk said:
nobody know how far you can go or you wanna go in photography, you might think you wanna go that far but as time goes by you might cool off liao. And you think you only want this at this time, maybe just minutes after you bought the cam, you already started to feel that you should have bought that.. :cry: .

Just know what you want, not what people say.
Try to work within you budget.

Nothing personel Josho, just to give my humble experience when buying a cam.

Its ok, I know what u mean. Sometime I buy things, I also felt the same way :cry:

BUT! NVM!!! Learn to be contented and happy!! Hehehe Most imptnt is Happy shooting!!! :angel: :sweatsm:

I agree with U on Try to work within you budget.

donchua said:

Why don't you find someone who has a SLR (film or digital), preferably with Prime lens and ask to try out the functions. Have the person guide you along.

If you feel that things like adjusting shutter and/ or aperture, manual focusing and zoom on the move is not for you, you may wish to just get the FZ-1 for no-frills shooting.
In the long run, you will get more used to how aperture and shutter speed relate to each other. During then, you may wish to take the plunge into SLR's or a prosumer like the FZ-10/ 20, LC1 or Minolta A series cameras.

That's how I basically got into cameras.. I went to a friend's place and toyed around with his old mechanical cameras (OM-1's, PENF, Leica's etc) and got him to explain how aperture, shutter speed etc worked.. Then I bought the FZ-10 to play around with these to get used to them.

Now, I feel comfortable moving on to more than just pressing buttons; I feel the need to turn rings/ dials to change zoom, focusing, aperture and shutter settings.

quinton said:

You might want to check this out:
FZ20 HDTV 16:9 format

Status
Not open for further replies.