FX8 vs ixus55 (help sway me!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackz

Apr 4, 2004
Eastern Singapore
hi all,

I'm considering getting one of these 2 cameras.

I've checked out dpreview.com and did a side by side. think they're pretty much matched up but thought i would like users opinions (esp for FX8 cos little on that on dpreview).

the panasonic one costs about $30 cheaper than canon though.

any thoughts to sway me to the lumix camp?

thanks!

PS: I use a D70 and F90X but need something smaller! :)

crackz said:
hi all,

I'm considering getting one of these 2 cameras.

I've checked out dpreview.com and did a side by side. think they're pretty much matched up but thought i would like users opinions (esp for FX8 cos little on that on dpreview).

the panasonic one costs about $30 cheaper than canon though.

any thoughts to sway me to the lumix camp?

thanks!

PS: I use a D70 and F90X but need something smaller! :)

Sway you? No need! just buy both will do...contribute a little more to the economy here...:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Kidding...I think for such P&S camera, it is really something that is very subjective, suggest you go and shop and try out before you make the decision...

ya, ok. i don't earn so much so no choice have to only buy 1 although i would like to have both :)

will likely try our parisilk and alan photo. so far, the quotation over the phone for paris silk is even cheaper than those sold 2nd hand here at clubsnap!

crackz said:
ya, ok. i don't earn so much so no choice have to only buy 1 although i would like to have both :)

will likely try our parisilk and alan photo. so far, the quotation over the phone for paris silk is even cheaper than those sold 2nd hand here at clubsnap!

Make sure you clarify to see if they are selling 'Grey stock' or not...

fx9 got ois lor...

how about fujifilm f11? pretty good colors and long battery life ;p

madmacs said:
fx9 got ois lor...

how about fujifilm f11? pretty good colors and long battery life ;p

Yeah, i found that OIS and handshake is not really a big issue once you get a good camera with good controls and you know what you are doing. F11 functions quite well at low light.

With the dropping prices, F11 could well be within your price range.;)

phelan said:
Yeah, i found that OIS and handshake is not really a big issue once you get a good camera with good controls and you know what you are doing. F11 functions quite well at low light.
With the dropping prices, F11 could well be within your price range.;)
I've been using both FZ3 and Fujifilm F10. Use F10 on my recent trip to Guangzhou and its very handy esp the long battery life and high ISO for night shots and pocket-size. However, F10 photos tends to be alittle softer than Lumix and has purple fringes on clear day shots. So you've to decide which is important to you. When I saw the photo results of LX1 posted here, I was looking for excuse to buy one ;p (rather unreasonable excuse I must say).

i am a user for FX8, rather good but u must noe yr cam well to take the pix;)

Recently, sent one of my camera for service and have ixus 55 in return on loan.
Very impressed by the compact camera. Panasonic is great too, I have one of their camera too. If the diff is only 30 bucks, I'll go for the ixus 55. Canon resale value is definitely better, unless you dun plan to change your camera for the rest of your life. ;)

for PnS ixus type for sure out of my consideration.
resale value? well, i don't think this is amajor consideration point for a few hundred dollars pns camera.

up to each :D

why care about resale value when you are just starting to buy?

trust me, FX9 is definately better than Ixus 55.
was pondering between this 2 camera, and my colleague bought Ixus55, I tried it, not impressed at all..
went to try Fx9, instantly, I know this is the camera liao.
smaller than Ixus55, and can perform better in low light..
this is the camera to go!!

ekardo said:
why care about resale value when you are just starting to buy?
...!!
HAH AHAA I know a girl who learns all about divorce just before she gets married. she now has 2 kids. some planning for just-in-case situation ? :bsmilie:

Morphis said:
Recently, sent one of my camera for service and have ixus 55 in return on loan.
Very impressed by the compact camera. Panasonic is great too, I have one of their camera too. If the diff is only 30 bucks, I'll go for the ixus 55. Canon resale value is definitely better, unless you dun plan to change your camera for the rest of your life. ;)

actually panasonic cameras are rather noisy for night photos at iso 80 and is true when you want to sell off the re-sale valve is lower than canon.
recently i went to tokyo and guess what i saw more nikon dslr than canon cameras even panasonic p&s cameras are more popular over there as well as sony p&s.
but canon is clearly really over-prefered here in sg.

ok. well, i also personally like the FX8 but i've been "told" the digic II processor is better than the venus II processor. sometimes i wonder if its just folks pushing the camera which they are getting more margins for?

i guess at the end of the day, they're a pretty close match up in most performance indicators except that FX8 has OIS :)

When in doubt, buy both!:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

hmm i dunno about you, but if it's a close fight, with only nit picks on both sides, I'd choose the one with OIS any day.

Having a dSLR, you should have similar feels.. you tend to get more keepers with a VR lens than a non VR lens.

Example:
10 photos with each camera.
3 good coloured ones with the ixus, the rest all blur.
8 almost as good coloured ones with the panasonic, rest all blur.

An image form the LX 1.. but that's not the point.
Think it's possible to get similar photo from another camera at 1/4s handheld? Gonna be really hard I think.
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=1773294&postcount=102

well, it's just me..
I'd rather haf more keepers than well processed images. I doubt digic II or the venus II is as good as photoshop if i really need to have good images with good colours.

crackz said:
ok. well, i also personally like the FX8 but i've been "told" the digic II processor is better than the venus II processor. sometimes i wonder if its just folks pushing the camera which they are getting more margins for?

i guess at the end of the day, they're a pretty close match up in most performance indicators except that FX8 has OIS :)

Silly for salesman to sell on single feature like:

Better processor (i dun tink tis guy got tech data to back him)
Less noise ccd
Better anti shake
ISO 1600
Higher shutter speed

Finally, it's a combine of features that produce a usable cam.

what is the current cheapest price for fx8 or fx9 ?
anyone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.