FX8 LCD Screen Cracked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogersk8ter

Dec 21, 2004
Halo! Bot a FX8 for my sister. Used just a few weeks, the LCD cracked! She didnt drop, shock or anything.LCD has a screen protector and cam kept in a case. How it broke i really dunno. Send to service and they wanna charge. Is this some kind of defects?? I mean is the LCD too weak and breaks easily. Sad. Anyone here has similar exprience?

but seriously it is weird if the camera never suffers from any impact.....

lcd may crack because of stress to it like when its in your pocket....and u seat down.
it happened to a lot of ppl even on those pocket pc or those touch scree phones.

especially if you wear tight jeans....
or have chunky thighs.... hahahah
;)

Found it cracked when she pulled it out of the slip case. Well, i mean do u consider a defect if the screen crack easily? eg ur finger tap on the screen and it breaks!:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

guess you are the unique case.. :p
let us know how much Pana is charging you..

Hi Rogersk8r,

Just to let you know that you are not the only person to encounter this problem, as it runs through the entire FX7/8/9 range.
I am awaiting a respone at the moment from Panasonic UK regarding this matter and am taking the issue up with BBC's Watchdog consumer program, amongst others to raise awareness of this issue.
Please visit the following thread and register on this site and add your case to the long list on there. Oh, and please don't forget to add a photo of the screen damage on there - I'll bet it has cracked on the right hand side, just to the left of the main menu buttons. Just like all the others.
The placement of these buttons on the circuit board of the camera in such close proximity to the LCD membrane seems to be the likely cause of this, along with moderate changes in temperature. If your camera gets cold, the contraction and expansion in the LCD screen when this warms up seems to contribute to the problem, if not being a cause all of it's own.

The link you need is: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00ENhV&tag= - I have also put links in there to other sites with logs regarding this problem.
Alternatively, if you type in "lumix warren" as a search in Google, this will take you there.

Hope this helps, and to reiterate: YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN THIS!!

Regards,

Tim A Warren

Don't get me wrong, guys - I think this camera is great!
As a photographer, the quality is good enough to us this as a compact backup camera and will perform just great for casual photography and snapshots.
I would recommend it for its features, flexibility, ease of use, quality of results and general design and build quality. In the 4 months I had mine, I loved using it.

I just think that people should be aware of the inherent defect in the LCD - I've heard too many people being bullied by camera stores and snotty Panasonic Customer Service agents refusing to acknowledge that there is a problem and being led to believe that they are the only people with spontaneously failing screens on this range. I've been in touch with too many people now who have tried to convince themselves that they have damaged the screen themselves.

Most of these units are working absolutely fine, down to the build quality - check the thickness of the plastic screen protector. Fantastic!
Many people have had these cameras for a while now without problems, but some are falling victim to this flaw - just be aware of it and do not be bullied into thinking it is your carelessness if you know you did not cause damage to the camera.
I mean if you drop it or whatever, claim on your insurance for a new one and learn a lesson about clumsiness. But for those of us who have been affected by a build fault this is very frustrating, especially as these cameras ain't cheap!

Check down the bottom of this thread and see if any of the other "cracked screen" posts are similar to this thread and check out the evidence photos on my thread in photo.net - too much similarity in the photos and stories.

In short, I'd recommend this camera in an instant and several of my colleagues and buddies have bought them on my recommendation without any problems - it really is a great little camera - just be aware if this problem does rear its head!

my fx-01's screen's cracked and they said that the lcd is not under warranty and might be chargeable.

anyone knows how much it'd cost? TIA.

reverie62 said:
my fx-01's screen's cracked and they said that the lcd is not under warranty and might be chargeable.

anyone knows how much it'd cost? TIA.

even the fx-01 lcd can easily cracked? was it your fault? i'm planning to buy this model :-(

i don't know if putting it at the side pocket of my bag created a pressure on the screen. other than that, the camera's quite okay. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.