FX8/9 Users: Any here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

May 10, 2004
Am seriously considering getting either the FX8 or FX9 next week (Monday is the launch of the FX9 ;)). Got a few questions:

1. How is the low-light AF for the FX8 for those who own this camera? Cause most P&S that I've looked at (Coolpixes, Casios, Canons) seem to have problems with low light ranging from bad to pretty severe. But haven't heard anything about the Lumix series cameras..

2. Since the FX9 is using the same sensor as the FX8, but with 1MP more, would that translate into more noise in the pics?

3. In general, how is the picture quality of the FX7/8? How are stuff like color/saturation/sharpness, out the camera without any post-processing? Reason being I want to do as little post-processing as possible (thats the point of getting a P&S), else I would just take pics with my D70 :D

Your views/comments are welcome. Thx!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm interested in the FX9, not because of the extra 1MP ;) but because of the nicer screen, with almost 2x as many pixels... but remains to be seen if the LCD update will be fast, or will it be slower than the FX8...

bought the fx8 few weeks ago, used it on a trip to bangkok, don't really like the quility.
not very good in low light condition. flash not strong enough, sure need to ps.
still have some blurness dispike having the ois on.
or maybe my skill not good.

coldman said:
bought the fx8 few weeks ago, used it on a trip to bangkok, don't really like the quility.
not very good in low light condition. flash not strong enough, sure need to ps.
still have some blurness dispike having the ois on.
or maybe my skill not good.

OIC, like that all P&S also have problems with low-light focussing :(

LOL from coldman's experience, he's most likely used to higher end cameras.
if you keep in mind that it's a ULTRA COMPACT PnS, then i'd think it's very good. In low light I'd say it works fine. try handhold a ixus in room light condition and you will see the difference.

Expecting dSLR quality from a UCPnS is like... comparing how sweet ripe strawberries are to oranges.

FX8 performs quite well for a UCPnS.
Photos right out are very good, though i feel canon ixus gives a lil more saturated colours. Out of the camera, I'd say it gives very nice photos, sharp and clear and with good colours. (D70 user? you'll be blown away by the colours out of the FX8)

The LCD gains up quite well in low light conditions, though I've yet to try it in close to zero light conditions (it's not my camera). Focuses quite well in lowlight.

BUT.. no manual controls at all..

heh anyway u might want to specify.. u wanna get a PnS or a UC-PnS...
BIG difference in photo quality and wording..

Hehe, ok, a "UC-PnS" then.. didn't know got such a definition :)

Anyway, the FX9 is due to be released on Monday. Guess I'll just pop down to the shop and try both the FX8 and FX9 out side by side and see. Thanks for your feedback

LOL IMHO UC PnS u pay (alot) more $$ for having less weight
sighz but then in this world now, we are always pay more $$ for less.

unseen said:
LOL IMHO UC PnS u pay (alot) more $$ for having less weight
sighz but then in this world now, we are always pay more $$ for less.

No choice leh.. buying for wife, so smaller the better.. me? I prefer the feel of a DSLR any day :)

hi bro.. i also waiting for the launching of fx9 and also wish to compare it wif fx8. can any bro update me or post the diff between them? if the best state which is better.. thanks.. :D

actually i am also waiting to buy fx8 or fx9.
so far i find the diff in spec:
- fx9 is 6megapixel and fx8 is 5 megapixel
- fx9 LCD display is bigger and more dots

Astin said:
actually i am also waiting to buy fx8 or fx9.
so far i find the diff in spec:
- fx9 is 6megapixel and fx8 is 5 megapixel
- fx9 LCD display is bigger and more dots

Display is the same size I think... both 2.5 inch LCD. FX8 has 114k pixels, FX9 has 207k pixels -almost double the pixels and yes, 1 megapixel higher.

However, other forums are speculating that since the sensor for both are the same, won't that 1MP extra cause more noisy images? And higher resolution screen -will that translate to slower screen update and power consumption?

Will go test it out on Monday (if the stocks are in) and compare the FX8 and FX9 side by side and see how. My other choice besides Panasonic is the Casio S500 or Z750, remains to be seen...

Hmmm if any grouse with the FX 8 is that the LCD is very visibly of low resolution. i can FEEL the pixels. it's quite irritating. after using dSLR so much.. holding the camera with a few fingers is really.. er...

Cool! DPReview just released the FX9 review... thanks, will go read it now!

Looks pretty good, may just pick it up if there's a good bundle for it during the launch.. BTW, the best price I got for the FX8 was around $580-600, the FX9 is expected to cost around $700... I think the 1MP extra and better, higher res screen and slightly better noise control is worth the extra $100 or so

Taken from DPReview:

"So, the FX9 is a fairly modest upgrade, much more evolution than revolution, but a welcome one, and one that fixes virtually all the minor problems of its predecessor (save for the noise), resulting in a pocket camera that - though not without faults - is near perfect for the casual snapshooter it's aimed at, and offers a serious - and more affordable - alternative to the various 7MP models on the market."

Hey guys,

Just realised that there are a few interested buyers for either the FX8 or 9. Shall we organise a group buy and ask for better discounts and/or more accessories?

David

im ok with the idea but den on 1st of sep there is a exhibition rite? will there be more discount at there? :D

lyn_amo said:
im ok with the idea but den on 1st of sep there is a exhibition rite? will there be more discount at there? :D

Probably not a 'discount' per se... usually exhibitions will sell the camera at the RRP, but will probably bundle it with stuff like SD cards, bags and maybe mini-tripod..

den how? hm.. i think must see how much does the fx9 cost and decide.. :)

Heyhey, count me in please. I would also like to get a FX9.

I just called to a shop today. They don't have any FX9, just FX8. Quoted me $590 - 2x256Mb cards. And they have no idea there'll be FX9 coming out today!!!

Where do you go to?

Status
Not open for further replies.