FX01 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any idea when it will be launched here?

the sample iso1600 pics are quite horrible....
have to wait for the Tz1 now...

Bought the black version for 299USD from BHphoto...

This camera is pretty amazing... however the high ISO performance is kinda different from my 1DmkII. It looks like water-color painting... i guess this is how panasonic implements their NR.

Plus points on this camera:
1) 28mm!!! The only other camera that goes wider and is so small is the 2 eyed Kodak Camera.
2) Image Stablizer!!! Very useful esp in the tele end.
3) Venus Engine. Makes the camera operation very zippy. Shooting is fast. Startup is fast and AF is fast.
4) Love the size and color... happy i bought it over the DMC-LX1

Canon new Digital Ixus 800IS also has an optical image stabilizer like the FX01 (click here).

While the image may not be as noisy at high ISO as compared to the FX01, it does not have a 28mm wide angle lens and its price is high (US$499) as compared to the FX01 (US$299).

If I were to choose between the two, I will most probably opt for the FX01

The image quality of the FX01 at ISO80 looks good to me. Click here for some photos taken by a forumer at dpreview

Infocus said:

I guess Ayumi plays a part too ;)

main01.jpg

http://panasonic.jp/dc/index.html

I dont have much experience with P&S (gone thru 2 DSLRs in the meantime) but i am very very impressed by this camera. It is light, fast in operation and the wide angle is reason enough to get it. Also the OIS is just icing on the cake and the camera body is pretty sweet too.

The only thing i find a bit off is the high ISO performance. It is like somebody ran a water-colour filter in photoshop over the darn thing. But as for everything else, it has either met or exceeded my expectation!

Discreet said:
I dont have much experience with P&S (gone thru 2 DSLRs in the meantime) but i am very very impressed by this camera. It is light, fast in operation and the wide angle is reason enough to get it. Also the OIS is just icing on the cake and the camera body is pretty sweet too.

The only thing i find a bit off is the high ISO performance. It is like somebody ran a water-colour filter in photoshop over the darn thing. But as for everything else, it has either met or exceeded my expectation!
I agree with what u said; the other problem is the Panasonic FX series has weak flash, and cannot handle indoor shoot very well (well any other small digicam also cannot handle indoor shoot anyway)

this has always been a problem...my previous camera lc20 has serious flash problem...v v weak...flash..

Astin said:
I agree with what u said; the other problem is the Panasonic FX series has weak flash, and cannot handle indoor shoot very well (well any other small digicam also cannot handle indoor shoot anyway)

that is a shame as its CCD performance above ISO 100 is quite apalling and that means that the flash range can't be extended by increasing the ISO without incurring degration of image quality.

Astin said:

Then can i ask if Nikon is a better choice as it has 'D-Lighting', sorta compensate the result? (Coz i'm going to buy a compact P&S) ;p

Otherwise i am looking at the possiblity to buy this FX-01 too. Anyone knows the street selling price?

Maybe someone can volunteer to do a comparison between this with Lx1?
It'll help a lot for me to decide what to buy :p

Status
Not open for further replies.